Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I installed a powerpc emulator and OS 9 a while back to play old Mac games, and was screwing around and installed Netscape 4 as well

Lemme tell ya, the internet without JavaScript on a non-bloated OS with a modern processor fuckin screams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'm on very very poor internet a lot of the time, in a weird way that throughput is decent, and it is not simple latency, but establishing connections (i.e. the first packages getting through) seems to struggle each time

let me tell you: there are very few websites which don't block the javascript on a few requests as part of loading, and, of course, most websites are unusable while javascript is (present but) blocking

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
p good posts about the rendering pipeline

https://www.fasterthan.life/blog/2017/7/11/i-am-graphics-and-so-can-you-part-1

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

I installed a powerpc emulator and OS 9 a while back to play old Mac games, and was screwing around and installed Netscape 4 as well

Lemme tell ya, the internet without JavaScript on a non-bloated OS with a modern processor fuckin screams

remember at the time people poo poo on netscape 4 for being slow and bloated

try ie 5 and be amazed

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

remember at the time people poo poo on netscape 4 for being slow and bloated

try ie 5 and be amazed

better yet try old browsers that will actually run on modern systems without a layer of os virtualization working with a layer of emulating a completely different os.

sadly all the standalone/portable ie from 3 to 6 seem to have win 10 issues

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the best ie5 experience was ie for Unix, if you have a Solaris 7 / hp-ux 10 system handy

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

aw neat, he shouts out baldurk as a special thanks. he's an lp goon.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
baldurk is also super well-known in the gamedev sphere. literally everyone uses renderdoc.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

thanks for this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

too much memery for me

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ate all the Oreos posted:

i'm seriously asking, like is "ordered information" some kind of potential energy since it's not as low an energy state as random / higher entropy states could be?

transistor gates are tiny capacitors, every time you turn a transistor on or off you are using energy to move that charge, to move electrons to charge the capacitance of a transistor gate, that won't be wasted as heat, but it's un-done every time you switch the transistor to another state.

so the short answer is that energy lost to resistance is heat, but the electricity that charges up the capacitance of the transistor gate is not lost as heat.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I have a feature request at my project from baldurk... I probably should get around looking at it again :v:

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Who else is excited for external GPUs to finally become a thing

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

LinYutang posted:

will they? people already feel constrained by pcie's latency and are trying to jump on nvlink

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
it would be nice to have an ultrabook for portability, then you could come home plug in a single cable and have a sick gaming rig

some people say a computer cost as much as thunderbolt enclosure so just get a 2nd computer, but I'd pay extra to janitor 1 computer instead of 2

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LinYutang posted:

literally saw a thing the other day that was a 1xpci card that had a usb3.0 out and on the cable was a 16xpci slot for a gpu card

it’s for adding gpu for mining of course but lmao

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
This thread is extremely my poo poo, and I wish I had found it months ago. Thanks to everyone who effortposted!

I'm one of those weirdos who don't use their GPU for shootmans. I have spent the past four years or so in GPU hell on a PhD project, where we try to compile a functional data-parallel language to efficient GPU code. I sure am grateful to my advisor for coming up with a research project that depends on janitoring Linux GPU drivers (seriously, don't ask me about NVIDIA drivers that crash so hard that the kernel will hang on reboots (actually, that's the whole story)). We target OpenCL and not CUDA because OpenCL is a slightly nicer target for code generation, and because it means we can also run on non-NVIDIA GPUs. Intel GPUs are actually surprisingly fast for compute, if you can accept single-precision floats. However, it would be fairly trivial to add a CUDA backend as well, and we probably will need to eventually, once NVIDIA completely strangles the market.

The main thing I have been wishing for, and which is finally loving coming now, is proper demand-paging on GPUs. Why it took so long is beyond me.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Also, am I missing something, or is GPU compute in browsers and phones even more of a miserable hellscape than normal?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

webcl is dead in the water, if that's what you mean.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you can totally do compute in webgl though

if you dont mind expressing everything in terms of data textures and pixel shader passes like a loving savage :shepicide:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Athas posted:

The main thing I have been wishing for, and which is finally loving coming now, is proper demand-paging on GPUs. Why it took so long is beyond me.

Because it's not the gaming use-case, where low latency and 60fps basically requires explicit allocation. A fault that takes 1s would be amazing for compute cases, but a cert fail on any other platform.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
funny compute

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Athas posted:

Also, am I missing something, or is GPU compute in browsers and phones even more of a miserable hellscape than normal?

http://gpu.rocks/

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

are people really trying to do compute on phones though

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

how else do you expect web ads to mine bitcoins?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pseudorandom name posted:

how else do you expect web ads to mine bitcoins?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

you can already mine for bitcoin with plain javascript and get better results than blowing a phone's GPU up :P

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

LinYutang posted:

you can already mine for bitcoin with plain javascript and get better results than blowing a phone's GPU up :P
sounds like you're extremely unfamiliar with bitcoin mining

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Suspicious Dish posted:

Because it's not the gaming use-case, where low latency and 60fps basically requires explicit allocation. A fault that takes 1s would be amazing for compute cases, but a cert fail on any other platform.

How much of NVIDIAs revenue is gaming compared to compute these days?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

anthonypants posted:

Nah, web crypto miners like Coinhive typically use the CPU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

LinYutang posted:

Nah, web crypto miners like Coinhive typically use the CPU
and someone who is already making bitcoin mining ads wouldn't try to use that device's gpu, because,

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

anybody that knows gpu programming well enough to mine bitcoin on it already know how worthless phone gpus are

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Athas posted:

given how much money they're spending on compute & ai sales, probably not that much.

they're betting big on it being a growth sector, which is why they only added demand page faulting just now

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Athas posted:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

what's 'professional visualization'?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

vOv posted:

what's 'professional visualization'?

probably architectural design, cad, medical imaging and other things along those lines

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Athas posted:

gaming is about 2.5x what datacenter is. fair amount of non datacenter compute also

margins are a lot better in datacenter tho

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The_Franz posted:

probably architectural design, cad, medical imaging and other things along those lines

3d rendering might do a bit of it, though I don't know if render farms would go into datacenters.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the first three rows are probably just geforce/quadro/tesla sales respectively

nvidia has no way of knowing that the crate of 1080tis someone bought is actually going into an octane farm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

repiv posted:

the first three rows are probably just geforce/quadro/tesla sales respectively

nvidia has no way of knowing that the crate of 1080tis someone bought is actually going into an octane farm

true, that huge jump in "gaming" between q2 and q3 of 2017 is probably due to the buttcoin miners buying cards by the truckload

• Locked thread