Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

bah, tried to find my opencl error log with "struct float3 aka struct ___do_not_use_float3_type_not_supported___" but it's nowhere to be found

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

my fellow, have you heard of SPIR-V???

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

gpus have video encoders so you can do screen capture without sending a full image of the screen back down the bus to main memory to be encoded on the CPU, which is slow and would also cut into the CPU resource available for xtreme gaming action. nvidia had H.264 running in CUDA but it was kinda slow and crappy and also cut into the amount of GPU time available for graphics drawing, and they already had a video decoder up there so w/e.

fun fact: the nvidia hardware encoder supports something silly like 8 simultaneous encode streams so you can put out an entire HLS block at once.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

ate all the Oreos posted:

mind directing me to this, because i'd really like to be able to actually use graphics card acceleration for encoding jobs on my server and i wasn't able to find anything like it

this was back in ~2013 and i think they've removed/broken it since. it was called NVCUVENC, anyhow, and it claimed to be CUDA but it's possible they were lying.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

yeah that's the "special" one that uses the dedicated hardware. they call it CUDA or CUVENC to make it seem like it's normal CUDA but it actually uses a separate little module on the card. it still works fine / isn't broken but it can't really do "real" CUDA

i don't mean NVENC, which replaced it, but the thing they're talking about taking out of the driver here, which worked on pre-kepler cards which afaik didn't have encoding hardware: https://web.archive.org/web/20150804115020/https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk

oh, apparently mainconcept had something similar at the time but i assume all this stuff got swept away by the proliferation of hardware encoders

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

atomicthumbs posted:

why does opencl suck so bad

vulkan sapped all it's momentum

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Condiv posted:

is vulkan capable of the same stuff as opencl? cool

i mean, believe it when you actually see it running, but the intermediate language spec should mean that you can directly load and run unchanged cl kernels from vulkan

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Doc Block posted:

isn't part of the reason that opencl never caught on was because apple was the only one really invested in it?

like, didn't apple ask nvidia to do the initial design/implementation back when they were still friends, but nvidia would only do it if opencl was published as an open standard? and didn't intel insist on it being gimped and having all that dumb "BUT ALSO RUN KERNEL ON CPU!" garbage to get them to support opencl on their integrated GPUs, because intel still thought realtime raytracing on the CPU was gonna be a thing and that it would kill ATI and NVIDIA?

i could be (read: probably am) completely misremembering the previous paragraph, but it does seem like apple was the only company that tried to push opencl at all.

it was basically an apple invention, iirc, until they lost interest in favour of Metal. nvidia were interested exactly as far as making sure opencl support wasn't a reason to not buy an nvidia card, amd were interested because they needed to compete with cuda but they've put more effort into various hokey run-cuda-by-parsing solutions for the last few years.

and a whole host of other companies (especially mobiles) were briefly interested in it as a selling point, but google shot that down by not supporting opencl on nexuses in favour of something called renderscript as part of an internal google turf war

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

so i dabbled in a tiny bit of opencl a while ago and eventually i'd like to come back around to it and play around with it a bit because i'm a turbodork who finds this kinda thing interesting, should i even bother with it if it's going out of style or should i look into something else instead?

it still has the advantage of being multi-platform and multi-manufacturer. on my macbook pro i can run tasks on both the internal gpus etc. and nvidia added opencl 1.2 support to their driver in the last two years so they all support roughly the same featureset.

it's just sad reading about cl 2.0 and not being able to get any of the nice features unless you have a specific AMD card and do the magic driver rain dance.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

altera sell fpgas which run opencl, i've only had a cursory look at them though, and i suspect you'd still be doing a lot of work specific to the fpga to get decent results.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

echinopsis posted:

gpu facts - my r7 290 is no longer supported in belnder open cl so now I have no gpu pathways in cucles at all

now I render everything by cpu
whoares

weird, what changed?

sorry, could you also explain what the hell a 1-bit texture is or how that's useful? is it just for like, masking?

in the valve paper they're drawing a 2D vector shape (the text "no trespassing") with no built-in texturing onto a 3D object, so the 1-bit texture is a high-res mask of the vector shape. the point is to draw a crisp vector image at any distance, but only using a raster texture on the gpu.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

assume the generated textures are more difficult to compress, too. dunno how limiting that is for how many you'd use.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

look i know they play it up a lot for marketing, but "machine learning" isn't really all that close to machine intelligence.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

you should definitely be able to, all the pre-compiling stuff is motivated primarily by being able to lock people out of your source code files and, if anything, complicates matters

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

amd's newest pro driver has a feature where you can ''host" and toggle between up to two consumer radeon drivers. only works with wx and vega cards though, so no extreme gaming for me.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Sapozhnik posted:

as a matter of fact, the only widely-deployed hardware platform at the moment that does not in principle support it is the raspberry pi boards released thus far with their vc4 socs.

is this snark about macos not being widely-deployed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

webcl is dead in the water, if that's what you mean.

• Locked thread