Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

oliveoil posted:

Yes. And I think the examples I gave would be considered showing your love through action. But it seems like there are so many ways to do that, and I would never in a million years have thought to do what she did for me. How do I become more creative or more inspired here?

I wouldn't really consider that an act of service. An act of service is more along the lines of putting yourself out there to help her or her friends. Literally "offering your services". Yours sounds a lot more like WOA with some extra steps.

For example: A couple weekends ago my girlfriend asked me some questions regarding a dinner she wanted to throw for her friends. She's terrible at cooking (by her own admission) and so I offered my advice and service, since I was a chef. I helped her pick out ingredients, and took care of all of the cooking. She was immensely appreciative, it saved her hours of time (she cleaned and decorated and paid for everything), and ultimately I didn't do it for anyone but her and her friend's benefit.

You can consider an act of service like being there for the other person in their time of need. Not only that, but doing it enthusiastically. Don't say "well, I guess I can help..." but instead say "let me do the cooking! It'll be fun"

AOS is one of the five languages that I felt I need to work on, personally. I'm good at WOA, PT, and QT, but I'm weak at AOS and gifts. I told myself "this time I want things to be different" and, thankfully, my current partner is very receptive to that kind of stuff. Now she knows she can not only trust me, but count on me to make the time and the effort to do it.

Make the time to be there in her moment of need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread