Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astarael
Jun 20, 2006
OP, maybe you can ask yourself what about your girlfriend's gesture resonated with you? What were you responding to? Was it the pure perfection of her lip-syncing, or that she showed you that she was thinking about you? It sounds like you are responding to the thoughtfulness and effort she made, so don't get too hung up on the form of the gesture. Focus on the intent and the feelings. Although I will say, part of what I think makes little gestures like that touching is that when someone puts together a little song, or drawing, or card, they are making themselves a little bit vulnerable to you. Because it's kinda silly, right? And they don't know exactly how it's going to be received, so it's a small risk, especially the first time.

One thing I've had success with is, essentially, illustrating or expanding on in-jokes that I have with my SO. My boyfriend introduced me to the TV show Community, we watched it together. In the show, there's a kind of running joke about this restaurant named Skeepers that serves yard long margaritas, and in one scene one character says "Yard-Margs at Skeepers?". We both started using that as a catch-phrase for a while, meaning "Let's go and do something fun". So I took a sheet of paper and different colored highlighters and made a coupon for One Free Yard-Marg at Skeepers, and left it for him to see when he got up. He loved it! And I can assure you it was not because of the artistry involved, I was high on sleep meds and giggling way too hard when I was trying to draw straight lines. It's just a weird little in-joke that probably sounds stupid to most people that read this, but that's OK, because it made my boyfriend light up with happiness that I liked that joke, and remembered it, and shared it with him.

You have to be willing to feel a little silly, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread