Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Everyone should read Riki-oh

interesting, political manga is right up my alley if you know any more

e: read the first few issues, it's not really political. more like fist of the north star stuff

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mike12345 posted:

interesting, political manga is right up my alley if you know any more

e: read the first few issues, it's not really political. more like fist of the north star stuff

Its also bug gently caress crazy, were it not obvious from the screenshots.
It's amazing.

The quasi-political/religious side is a framing device for the ultra violence.

Quick warning: Lots of gore. Lots and lots of gore.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Riki-Oh is great because it goes off the rails in the first arc and then keeps finding more rails to go off of as it goes on.

In a good way!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

No kidding, Riki-oh is batshit crazy

btw Dragonball is no fan of the gay

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Black Clover status:

Mereoleona is still the best character.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Antitonic posted:

"At first"? Does it turn into a zombie harem or something? Asking not to be sarcastic or anything, but I've had this on my to-read list, and now I'm curious. :ohdear:

I didn't read that much of it so I didn't want to be responsible for recommending a manga that turned into Saw or something. :v:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This thread loving rules.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

When pro wrestlers go to the bathouse:

(From Takako Shimura's Love Buzz.)

trying this one thank again!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Hanakaku

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Eldercain posted:

Well here's another one that's just starting off and it's a very good twist on the ol high school slice of life romancy stuff:

Don't bully me nagatoro:

If you couldn't guess, it's about a weeb nerd getting poo poo on every chapter. Sadly there's not too much of it around yet

The original series of that is extremely fetish fuel where the girl pretty much gets off on making the boy's life hell by abusing him verbally and physically so I have no idea how far this will get before it goes sailing off the deep end

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's based on something? Like what, a VN or LN or whatever? Feels like more and more series are being adapted from those these days.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Captain Invictus posted:

It's based on something? Like what, a VN or LN or whatever? Feels like more and more series are being adapted from those these days.

Im fairly certain its just a bunch of tweets or pics on pixiv that went viral, sorta like Tawawa on Monday

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

you have my attention

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's really unpleasant to read if that's not your fetish.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

perhaps the same can be said of ALL manga.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I'm just happy to see the typical useless self insert guy get himself emotionally swirlied.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Now I miss Teppu

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Suplexes are for the people. All the people. The first chapter I found is in Spanish so I haven't even read a single page yet lol. What kind of unpleasant is it?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

Suplexes are for the people. All the people. The first chapter I found is in Spanish so I haven't even read a single page yet lol. What kind of unpleasant is it?

I think they're talking about the bully one. Hanakaku seems cool from the 5 chapters I read.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I think they're talking about the bully one. Hanakaku seems cool from the 5 chapters I read.

ah okay. I was worried that Hanakaku would have like blood/gore or something

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a tiny timid girl becoming a ridiculous mma beast has universal appeal

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

a tiny timid girl becoming a ridiculous mma beast has universal appeal

I hope she also gets more confident as time goes on, unlike Ippo.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

That was a fun read, and it looks like it's getting steady updates. Does anyone know how long it is? All I can find from a quick Google search is that there's 4 volumes via second-hand sellers on Amazon.

Edit: Forgot to add this.

RareAcumen posted:

I hope she also gets more confident as time goes on, unlike Ippo.

Based on one of the volume covers I found while looking for an answer to my question, I think it's a good possibility?

Onean fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 14, 2017

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
From the description here, it sounds like the 4th volume is the final one.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Catcher in The Rhyme

Herr Tog posted:

ah okay. I was worried that Hanakaku would have like blood/gore or something

Hanakaku does have blood. It does not shy away from how bloody MMA can get.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Holy poo poo this must be fun/awful to translate

E: really curious about if/how they matched the tone and style of the original or just went with their own thing

Translator notes says a japanese rapper writes the original rhymes for the series, that’s cool

Fellis fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 15, 2017

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

Catcher in The Rhyme

Hanakaku does have blood. It does not shy away from how bloody MMA can get.

oh no. oh jeez. Uh thanks for the warning.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fellis posted:

Holy poo poo this must be fun/awful to translate

E: really curious about if/how they matched the tone and style of the original or just went with their own thing

Translator notes says a japanese rapper writes the original rhymes for the series, that’s cool

At a guess, they did their own thing - the meter of that page posted, at least, is hosed up bad.

e: seriously, try and recite it to a rhythm, the syllable count is hosed.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

route, out, out?!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ore Monogatari

It also got an anime if that's more your speed.

https://i.imgur.com/xoHiWU3.mp4

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Oremonogatari is amazing and everyone should read it.

E: gently caress that animation

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Ore Monogatari

It also got an anime if that's more your speed.

holy poo poo yes

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
:yikes:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Herr Tog posted:

oh no. oh jeez. Uh thanks for the warning.

I've only read the five translated chapters, so I don't know how it gets later on. So far, while it doesn't hide the fact injuries happen, it also doesn't glorify or exaggerate them. There's been blood, but it's more on the realistic or even underplayed side of things and not at all gory.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Eldercain posted:

Well here's another one that's just starting off and it's a very good twist on the ol high school slice of life romancy stuff:

Don't bully me nagatoro:

If you couldn't guess, it's about a weeb nerd getting poo poo on every chapter. Sadly there's not too much of it around yet

I think this was recommended in the last thread but if you want something that's similar but less fetishy/cruel there's Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Like every comic goons complain about not named Made in Abyss it's actually pretty innocuous. Kinda boring though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DisDisDis posted:

Like every comic goons complain about not named Made in Abyss it's actually pretty innocuous. Kinda boring though.

Made in Abyss is exceptionally creepy right, even my general manga standards?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i dunno if it's exceptional but you definitely know the author's gross fetishes after reading it

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

dogsicle posted:

i dunno if it's exceptional but you definitely know the author's gross fetishes after reading it

Yeah if kids start disappearing in that author's neighborhood, I'd check his place first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Onean posted:

I've only read the five translated chapters, so I don't know how it gets later on. So far, while it doesn't hide the fact injuries happen, it also doesn't glorify or exaggerate them. There's been blood, but it's more on the realistic or even underplayed side of things and not at all gory.

Thank you for the effort in this post.