Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shibawanko posted:

It definitely helps to not stick to one weapon, that's just kind of a bad idea, even if you really like the peashooter. Charge shot is a bit overpowered but doesn't work well in situations where you have to keep dashing or parrying for instance.

Why don't people like the run and gun stages? I thought they were pretty fun.

There's no sense of level design to them at all. It feels like they just throw a horde of enemies at you and called it a day. I'm a huge fan of platforners and those levels felt very added-at-the-last-minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Shibawanko posted:

Why don't people like the run and gun stages? I thought they were pretty fun.

They felt like someone was like "What if Megaman, but every enemy is a medusa head from Castlevania and they all take multiple shots to kill"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

raditts posted:

I wish I could find the enjoyment in this game that the rest of you guys do. It feels so close to being a good game for me, they nailed the animations and the music and the general aesthetic, but then the gameplay leans heavily on artifical bullshit like blocking your view while throwing a bunch of bullshit on the screen that is sometimes unavoidable while you have to shoot at a stationary bullet sponge

it's a 2-d game with occasional foreground parallax elements. games like this have existed for decades, and there are multiple easy-to-learn player strategies to overcome any problems a player has with it. unless a person has a disability that renders them unable to compensate for this particular choice in game design, i have little sympathy for anyone who thinks a knee-jerk "oh but the difficulty is artificial :smug:" is in any way an appropriate or valid criticism. if you don't want to put in the time or effort to understand the genre of this game, great, but there's no need to lash out with salty "heh it isn't a real challenge" nonsense because you're bad at a video game

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 21, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You write a post like that and you're accusing the guy you quoted of being smug?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it's a 2-d game with occasional foreground parallax elements. games like this have existed for decades, and there are multiple easy-to-learn player strategies to overcome any problems a player has with it. unless a person has a disability that renders them unable to compensate for this particular choice in game design, i have little sympathy for anyone who thinks a knee-jerk "oh but the difficulty is artificial :smug:" is in any way an appropriate or valid criticism. if you don't want to put in the time or effort to understand the genre of this game, great, but there's no need to lash out with salty "heh it isn't a real challenge" nonsense because you're bad at a video game

It was only a matter of time before someone pounded out some :goonsay: poo poo like this, thanks

No Wave posted:

You write a post like that and you're accusing the guy you quoted of being smug?

to be fair, you have to have a high IQ to understand Cuphead,

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i feel like that was an appropriate way respond to someone who has been making whiny drive-by shitposts crying about video games they don't like for the better part of two decades

e: hahahahah ^^

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 21, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I never said you weren't allowed to like whatever you want, you sensitive baby bitch

consider finding something better to do with your time than caping for video games

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Cuphead is good. Considering getting it :smug:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Saying a game's difficulty is artificial just because you personally don't like it is p. :smug:

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I don't really like the run and gun stages but i appreciate that they don't force you to do them. I did the first one and i had enough coins to buy the smoke dash and the spread shot and I think I might see how far that gets me before I decide to do another one. I'm up to the candy house boss and she is the world's biggest rear end in a top hat but I think it's fair. Rarely during the last miniboss phase, I've encountered a situation where the miniboss hitbox, her candy floss gun and a jellybean are all in particular configuration where there doesn't seem to be a way of not getting hit but aside from that I don't have any major complaints so far

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Been playing this game over the last week, it's really amazing. It's so satisfying to find a slightly unintuitive strategy to completely trivialize a phase after struggling with it (e.g. train phase 2&3) . The animation and music is definitely making it a lot more bearable to keep on tackling rough bosses.

Not quite complete, but thus far the Bee was by far the worst fight - it's the only boss I don't really feel I have a consistent strategy against, largely because of the randomized platforms just ruining evasion strategies. That fight is awful..

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Every run n gun level is adequate except for Perilous Piers pacifist screw Perilous Piers

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shibawanko posted:

It definitely helps to not stick to one weapon, that's just kind of a bad idea, even if you really like the peashooter. Charge shot is a bit overpowered but doesn't work well in situations where you have to keep dashing or parrying for instance.

The Charge Shot is 100% the best option for everything because nothing has higher DPS. for parrying and dodging I would always have a shot charged and I made sure I dodged in the direction of the boss so my shot would automatically fire and do damage. Well, no, there's one part where I didn't use the Charge Shot and it was the beginning segment of the train because dealing with the bouncing balls is easier with the peashooter.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Ok so the candy house boss is proving to be an absolute roadblock. The other 2 bosses in this area were not hard for me but this one is bordering on impossible. The thing that really gets me about it is how long the final phase lasts for. I'm peppering her with shots for what seems like an absolute loving eternity (I know I have to aim at her and not the house) but the progress bar shows almost no advancement. The amount of health they gave her is just idiotic. I don't really have much to complain about pattern-wise- I think it's a pretty creative encounter but it just never stops. Also what are you supposed to do when the Waffle flies close to the ground and does his attack? He'll like hover around the middle of the screen so you don't really know where to move when he springs it on you. I keep getting hit by it.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

s.i.r.e. posted:

The Charge Shot is 100% the best option for everything because nothing has higher DPS.
this is wrong. spread has 41.33 dps when all the pieces hit. charge has 40.00 dps when you have frame-perfect charges. the best I could actually get was more like 37.5.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hyphen-ated posted:

this is wrong. spread has 41.33 dps when all the pieces hit. charge has 40.00 dps when you have frame-perfect charges. the best I could actually get was more like 37.5.

All pieces hitting is almost impossible, but I didn't know about the frame perfect charges. There's a drop-off once it dings?

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

s.i.r.e. posted:

All pieces hitting is almost impossible, but I didn't know about the frame perfect charges. There's a drop-off once it dings?

all spread pieces hitting is easy for many boss phases.

the frames that need to be perfect are where you release your charge at the first possible moment and press it again as soon as you can. there's nothing I would call a "drop-off", it's just that if you keep charging after you're fully charged, you're not accomplishing anything during that time.

Hyphen-ated fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 21, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Ghost Head posted:

Ok so the candy house boss is proving to be an absolute roadblock. The other 2 bosses in this area were not hard for me but this one is bordering on impossible. The thing that really gets me about it is how long the final phase lasts for. I'm peppering her with shots for what seems like an absolute loving eternity (I know I have to aim at her and not the house) but the progress bar shows almost no advancement. The amount of health they gave her is just idiotic. I don't really have much to complain about pattern-wise- I think it's a pretty creative encounter but it just never stops. Also what are you supposed to do when the Waffle flies close to the ground and does his attack? He'll like hover around the middle of the screen so you don't really know where to move when he springs it on you. I keep getting hit by it.

This is a glitch actually. She sometimes doesn’t take any damage in the last phase

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Nina posted:

This is a glitch actually. She sometimes doesn’t take any damage in the last phase

As in she doesn't take any actual damage or it just doesn't look like she does on the progress meter?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I kept hitting her for several minutes without her going down and when I died no progress was shown. If the glitch occurs she flashes as if she’s taking damage but she’s not and the battle is unwinnable

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Nina posted:

I kept hitting her for several minutes without her going down and when I died no progress was shown. If the glitch occurs she flashes as if she’s taking damage but she’s not and the battle is unwinnable

ugh. as if this wasn't an annoying enough battle as it is. If it wasn't so charming I probably would have thrown my controller across the room

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was stuck on the Candy boss as well and that taught me a very valuable strategy that has helped me in at least 3 other bosses:

Save up your super meteruntil you have a full Super attack to blow through the first few phases, but once you get to the last fight, use your special attack every single time you can. You’ll hopefully have 2-3 cards banked up if you manage to secure a full super halfway through the fight. I beat her, the dragon, the clown and the bird all this way.

I like the Run’nGun levels because you can beat them without killing anything, and once you understand that, looking for openings to move through their attacks and skip them becomes a different kind of game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I didn't like the charge shot at all. I couldn't concentrate on charging the shot and moving and avoiding boss stuff at the same time. I used the peashooter almost exclusively. The only other gun I used was the homing one for very specific bosses (the bee's final phase, the train's final phase and the poker chips. The last one mostly cause I was lazy and didn't want to shoot at an angle or jump)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

He's not talking about how much damage it actually does, but the amount you can do "per second", which is a distinction that only really matters for the couple of bosses you can get good enough positioning to hit them with all the spread shots anyway.
I think charge is still the better weapon in general since you don't have to be right up in the bosses faces.

Fissurefury
May 27, 2007

The results of these precious, meaty fingers.

Ghost Head posted:

ugh. as if this wasn't an annoying enough battle as it is. If it wasn't so charming I probably would have thrown my controller across the room

I've seen and encountered so many bugs I'm surprised I haven't seen the game being trashed for it. I think the dev team is lucky that Cuphead is so charming.

The bugs aren't flying people or eyes without a face and I wouldn't expect to see it on Highlight Reel, but I've had to force a restart from a bug at least a dozen times. If the fights were more than 2 minutes long I could see getting an emotional response from them.

Maybe it's nice to know a failed attempt wasn't my fault once in a while.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Fissurefury posted:

I've seen and encountered so many bugs I'm surprised I haven't seen the game being trashed for it. I think the dev team is lucky that Cuphead is so charming.

The bugs aren't flying people or eyes without a face and I wouldn't expect to see it on Highlight Reel, but I've had to force a restart from a bug at least a dozen times. If the fights were more than 2 minutes long I could see getting an emotional response from them.

Maybe it's nice to know a failed attempt wasn't my fault once in a while.

I've seen a few bugs while watching lets plays, but I only encountered two minor ones during my playthrough. One of them was showing the progress meter after I died hadn't moved at all even though I absolutely was further into the fight. And the second one was the weird bug during phase 1 of the devil fight where you get hit by an invisible thing on the edge of the screen. I imagine if bugs are widespread, they aren't really a big enough problem for people to care about. Plus I'm sure the game being an indie game ends up with people going "well it's an indie game" in response to a lot of these bugs.

I've personally never encountered a bug that was game breaking though, like where the boss just doesn't show up or something. I think the game has problems with being open too long cause restarting it usually fixes these issues for people. I saw one lets player (Crendor) play the game, and on the King Dice fight when he got to the final phase, King Dice would do his hand dancing animation but no cards would come out. And he just got stuck doing that animation and Crendor was able to just stand there aiming up and kill the boss without any danger

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ghost Head posted:

I don't like that boss. The minibosses she throws at you can be either easy or ridiculously hard. Do you have the charge shot? If not get some coins and buy it because it helps here. Wait for a good run where you get easy minibosses like the jawbreaker or the gumball guy. I never had problems with the waffle, I just blast him down before he can get more than one attack off, if you stick to the left he rarely gets in range for his attack to really hit you, I found. In the final phase, try parrying multiple times off the big rolling pink thing to get super charges and stay airborne and just blast her with Super 1. Charge shot gets her down really fast.

s.i.r.e. posted:

The Charge Shot is 100% the best option for everything because nothing has higher DPS. for parrying and dodging I would always have a shot charged and I made sure I dodged in the direction of the boss so my shot would automatically fire and do damage. Well, no, there's one part where I didn't use the Charge Shot and it was the beginning segment of the train because dealing with the bouncing balls is easier with the peashooter.

What about the clown boss part with the dog faces for example? That's definitely a spread shot moment for me. The train boss phase 1 becomes trivial with the boomerang, you can just fill the screen with boomerangs and none of the balls will even reach you. I also prefer the spread shot on the final parts of the devil because you can hit his eyes at point blank constantly (and the fat blue devil guys too) while you focus on jumping out of danger. Also takes care of the bats. I can think of a few other cases too, but yeah it's best for when you are in a situation to reliably launch it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Macaluso posted:

I've seen a few bugs while watching lets plays, but I only encountered two minor ones during my playthrough. One of them was showing the progress meter after I died hadn't moved at all even though I absolutely was further into the fight. And the second one was the weird bug during phase 1 of the devil fight where you get hit by an invisible thing on the edge of the screen. I imagine if bugs are widespread, they aren't really a big enough problem for people to care about. Plus I'm sure the game being an indie game ends up with people going "well it's an indie game" in response to a lot of these bugs.

I've personally never encountered a bug that was game breaking though, like where the boss just doesn't show up or something. I think the game has problems with being open too long cause restarting it usually fixes these issues for people. I saw one lets player (Crendor) play the game, and on the King Dice fight when he got to the final phase, King Dice would do his hand dancing animation but no cards would come out. And he just got stuck doing that animation and Crendor was able to just stand there aiming up and kill the boss without any danger

The invisible thing on phase 1 devil I experienced a few times too, it was usually when I was dodging the snake attack but I checked closely to make sure no little devil dudes were running in from the back so I still don't know wtf that was.

Only real bugs I ran into were having the game softlock my PC a couple times on the rollercoaster guy, and when I did "exit to title" the game wouldn't accept any inputs from gamepad or keyboard and I had to alt-tab out and close it in task manager.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Fissurefury posted:

Some of them are pretty repeatable too. If you die to Sally during round 2 at the same time she dies the game will softlock since she enters stage 3 anyway.

And if djimmi throws treasure at you in round 1 and you don't kill him by the end of the first round the chest will keep spawning projectiles through the second round.

Minor and mostly negligible issues, but they are pretty prevalent even on indie standards.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
The weirdest bug I've seen so far was when I fought the cymbal monkey and like 15 seconds in he scrolled off screen to the right and somehow killed himself and the fight ended right there

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

raditts posted:

The invisible thing on phase 1 devil I experienced a few times too, it was usually when I was dodging the snake attack but I checked closely to make sure no little devil dudes were running in from the back so I still don't know wtf that was.
When the snake straightens out and pulls back, it seems like the hitbox stretches all the way across the screen. If you jump or duck, it won't hit you.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Inferior Third Season posted:

When the snake straightens out and pulls back, it seems like the hitbox stretches all the way across the screen. If you jump or duck, it won't hit you.

It only happens in the left side though, and it only happens when he pulls back. Not when he gets there

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

super fart shooter posted:

The weirdest bug I've seen so far was when I fought the cymbal monkey and like 15 seconds in he scrolled off screen to the right and somehow killed himself and the fight ended right there

That sound like the best possible way to experience that fight

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah I got a few bugs too, monkey bug, a lockup or two and one case where it reverted to an earlier save, even though when I reset it was back to normal on my actual progress. The devil snake form bug has something to do with the left edge of the screen and is avoidable only if you duck under the curve of the snake. Somehow his hitbox includes the left edge of the screen (you can shoot it too for easy damage, hitting the left side of the screen at any time damages the boss, it doesn't make the battle much easier but you can get in a few cheap shots while he pulls his skin off for phase 2).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

super fart shooter posted:

One time after I made a match the monkey just froze and kept screaming until I put it out of its misery.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Macaluso posted:

It only happens in the left side though, and it only happens when he pulls back. Not when he gets there
I've had it happen on both sides. And yeah, it's only when he pulls back. But it can be dodged by jumping or ducking.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Of course the first challenge I'd choose to tackle would be the Queen Beetch, after getting stuck for so long on Puff the Fuckface Dragon and have to deal with more godawful luckbased loving platforms.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Buy Lobber and just always stay safely up top

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Had to finish the Beetch with Chaser and Charge. I've been holding off on Lobber cause I just can't imagine its style and leery on wasting the coin.

Also, in the aerial segments, is there a weapon switch? I notice in some videos the plane is lobbing bombs instead of firing darts. So weapon switch (Just never dawned on me to try), some kind of purchase/upgrade, or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Had to finish the Beetch with Chaser and Charge. I've been holding off on Lobber cause I just can't imagine its style and leery on wasting the coin.

Also, in the aerial segments, is there a weapon switch? I notice in some videos the plane is lobbing bombs instead of firing darts. So weapon switch (Just never dawned on me to try), some kind of purchase/upgrade, or am I missing something?

I think on the second island someone on the overworld map gives you the bomb alternate.

• Locked thread