Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

raditts posted:

I think on the second island someone on the overworld map gives you the bomb alternate.

Guess I'm off to walk in circles for at least 20 minutes in search then. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Guess I'm off to walk in circles for at least 20 minutes in search then. Thanks!
It's the guy who looks like a bomb. He's near Djimmi.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't really like the little platforms in the dragon and bee bosses either, it sucks when you try to parry something and it just barely goes under the drat platform as you try to land your parry, causing you to still get hit somehow. I can't explain it but it's frustrating. It's also hard to parry anything from below without the charm.

I got everything on at least A- rank now except the train boss and king dice, gonna try for the "beat the game on expert" achievement after that. Do you simply beat every boss and level on expert on your existing game?

Fissurefury
May 27, 2007

The results of these precious, meaty fingers.

Shibawanko posted:

I got everything on at least A- rank now except the train boss and king dice, gonna try for the "beat the game on expert" achievement after that. Do you simply beat every boss and level on expert on your existing game?

Just every boss on expert. Run N Guns are excluded as Pacifist is the only alternative to normal difficulty. I don't think it matters how many King Dice sub-bosses you kill either.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm streaming!

https://go.twitch.tv/agoat

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm not sure if this is the place for this or not but I don't know who else to ask. I managed to get Steam working on my mac with Wine and I installed Cuphead, but it freezes almost immediately when I load the game. Any idea how to get around that? I can play it at home on my PC just fine, so I'm guessing SOMETHING is wrong but I have no idea what.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably something to do with running a Windows game on a Mac.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

:stare:

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Wolfenstein was not the only anti fascist game this fall.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Incidentally, this boss fight has far and away the best music track in the game.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
coffee is the only charm worth using in the airplane levels, right?

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Dunno about the only one worth it. But is definitely the best if you want to rush to use the power up.

Whetstone has the most useless description and it along with Sugarcube are poorly explained. Wish devs would stop half-assing even the barest amount of information.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
To this day I have no idea what Whetstone actually does because I never tried it. The description doesn’t make it sound appealing.

All the auto-parry description needed was ”until you land again” after ”first parry is automatic”

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

So the story then. The hero lost a bet with the devil and must steal the souls of the rest of the citizens of Inkwell Isle and give them to the devil?

Does that make us the bad guys? I mean you return them in the end but still. You still took them.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean these citizens also signed their souls away, they're just reneging on the contract so :shrug:

All of this could have been avoided if Cuphead and Mugman just did the same thing thh

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean these citizens also signed their souls away, they're just reneging on the contract so :shrug:

All of this could have been avoided if Cuphead and Mugman just did the same thing thh

Oh I thought you stole their souls by force to give them to the devil.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
unless the craps game was rigged everyone is just cheating the devil, really

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Snazzy Frocks posted:

unless the craps game was rigged everyone is just cheating the devil, really

And then you beat him up to get out of paying your due.

At first I assumed that the citizens of Inkwell Isle were controlled by the devil after he took their souls (which is why they fight you) and that they were barring your way to the devil and so you knock them out and eventually save them all by getting their souls back (which is why they cheer you on at the end)

The reality is a lot more convoluted.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nah the opening cutscene says that you're collecting debts in order to repay yours.

most important cuphead lore question:

who has the better hand dance, cala maria p2 or cagney carnation p1 (hint: it's cala maria)

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Watch the intro again, King Dice gives the Devil what I'd describe as A Look before Cuphead rolls, he's hoodwinking them. Deepest lore.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Nina posted:

To this day I have no idea what Whetstone actually does because I never tried it. The description doesn’t make it sound appealing.

Whetstone turns your first parry action into an attack (with a new animation) that'll hit a non-pink enemy. I first noticed it when I could parry a yellow duck in the Beppi the Clown fight. It also works in the plane, with a new animation for that as well.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cuphead and Mugman seem like a gay couple.

A good poster posted:

Whetstone turns your first parry action into an attack (with a new animation) that'll hit a non-pink enemy. I first noticed it when I could parry a yellow duck in the Beppi the Clown fight. It also works in the plane, with a new animation for that as well.

When is that really useful? I can't think of too many situations where I want to parry something with other enemies nearby.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

They’re like 10 jesus

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aren't they also brothers?

Dejawesp posted:

At first I assumed that the citizens of Inkwell Isle were controlled by the devil after he took their souls (which is why they fight you) and that they were barring your way to the devil and so you knock them out and eventually save them all by getting their souls back (which is why they cheer you on at the end)

Well, if you give the souls over at the end, then not only do you not have to fight the devil but you get an animated ending instead of the still pictures / text you get after beating him up.
So it's pretty clear which choice is more rewarding.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nina posted:

They’re like 10 jesus

love to hang out gambling and chugging moonshine with 10 year olds

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

love to hang out gambling and chugging moonshine with 10 year olds

Things were different in the 1930s, if their cartoons are anything to go by

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dejawesp posted:

did you skip past the maybe 3 sentences total that explain the entire plot of the game extremely clearly because this post is like the written equivalent of trying to watch that guy jump over the pillar in the tutorial

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

raditts posted:

Aren't they also brothers?

Well,
Cuphead and his pal Mugman,
They like to roll the dice.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Dejawesp posted:

What did you think those contracts you were collecting were?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Disgusting Coward posted:

Well,
Cuphead and his pal Mugman,
They like to roll the dice.

So just because they're pals, you think that means they can't be brothers, huh :colbert:

...unless there is a meaning to "roll the dice" that I'm unfamiliar with :barf:

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 3, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So what I got from this last page was that Cuphead and Mugman are 10-year-old gay brothers in an incestuous relationship and they enjoy booze while gambling with the devil.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I just want to know why the gently caress Mugman keeps drinking his own head contents. The hell is THAT about?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Poor Elder Kettle, nobody listens to his plot contributions of "Wow you boys hosed up. Have magic finger guns and start doing the thing while I think of a better plan" and then "Ok I have a better plan. Keep doing the thing, then when you're done, just sucker punch Satan, easy peasy"

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Cowcaster posted:

did you skip past the maybe 3 sentences total that explain the entire plot of the game extremely clearly because this post is like the written equivalent of trying to watch that guy jump over the pillar in the tutorial

Don't judge me. Old Man Kettle is a fash and you know it :argh:

No seriously why does he give us murder super powers so we can genocide everyone else on the island just so we can get out of paying our dues?

Like yeah maybe the devil cheated but we don't know that and we assume that his claim is legitimate.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 3, 2017

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

s.i.r.e. posted:

So what I got from this last page was that Cuphead and Mugman are 10-year-old gay brothers in an incestuous relationship and they enjoy booze while gambling with the devil.

"this, but unironically" - tumblr

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Relevant

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Archenteron posted:

Poor Elder Kettle, nobody listens to his plot contributions of "Wow you boys hosed up. Have magic finger guns and start doing the thing while I think of a better plan" and then "Ok I have a better plan. Keep doing the thing, then when you're done, just sucker punch Satan, easy peasy"
I loved that that's the Elder Kettle's solution. "Beat the Devil into submission, should be no biggie."

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dejawesp posted:

Don't judge me. Old Man Kettle is a fash and you know it :argh:

No seriously why does he give us murder super powers so we can genocide everyone else on the island just so we can get out of paying our dues?

Like yeah maybe the devil cheated but we don't know that and we assume that his claim is legitimate.

seriously dude you need to rewatch this it's a minute thirty long that's not too much to ask
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrp27r8nnuA

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pretty hosed up that he immediately thinks of violence as a solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cuphead is Withnail Mugman is I and Elder Kettle is Uncle Monty.

• Locked thread