Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
The real homage is one where the 2nd last stage is really similar to one from Gunstar Heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm curious, just how much? Like outright or is it kind of like the x-files theme in Okami, where yeah, it's there, but its more a coincidence.

Still, it could be an homage, I'll keep my ear open when I get to that stage.

He means right here when it modulates to the minor key, which is basical the Athletic Theme from SMW. I think it's the fact that they're both ragtime (it all sounds the same), but it's a little too similar. Going to assume this is homage.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cowcaster posted:

learn to love the smoke dash because being able to pass through bullets/enemies with impunity is a game changing ability and i can't ever see myself using another trinket. your rollercoaster boss woes would probably be alleviated by using it.

I'll second that. I thought Rollercoaster was easy and I'm pretty bad at this game once i figured out you can dash through the front of the coaster, and also the little dudes riding it. The only part I generally got hit at was sometimes a random balloon spawn or dashing into it but its one of the easier bosses imo. Also there's really not a lot of randomness, you can watch the coaster in the background to see if its coming because it basically comes right as soon as it passes through the background, which makes it helpful during the horsey part to get away from the right side

So get smoke dash ASAP and also bind dash to Left Trigger!. It's game changing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Xaris posted:

bind dash to Left Trigger!.

also extremely important

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The smoke dash in this game is one of those cases where I wonder why the devs even bothered making it an equipable. It just means everyone is gonna always use it since nothing else comes close to being as good. There are so many bosses that become way easier if you can just dodge through their attacks.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

The smoke dash in this game is one of those cases where I wonder why the devs even bothered making it an equipable. It just means everyone is gonna always use it since nothing else comes close to being as good. There are so many bosses that become way easier if you can just dodge through their attacks.

it's even weirder considering some of the other trinkets have straight up negative traits assigned to them (i'm looking at you extra health points). i guess you could consider not knowing where your guy is going to land a negative quality of the smoke bomb but once you fiddle around with it for a while you get the hang of it, while no amount of practice will suddenly make your lower damage go away.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yeah the passive trinkets are generally bad from what I seen. I picked up Smoke Dash at the very start (along with the shotgun attack) and haven't regretted it since. Admittingly I haven't seen all the passive potions but yeah I can't imagine using anything else at all. Others might be better if they didn't have negative traits, just seems like a weird decision

So what attacks have people found to be good? I just bought the boomerang one last night but haven't given it a real shot yet, mostly been using peashooter/shotgun alternating between so far.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Xaris posted:

yeah the passive trinkets are generally bad from what I seen. I picked up Smoke Dash at the very start (along with the shotgun attack) and haven't regretted it since. Admittingly I haven't seen all the passive potions but yeah I can't imagine using anything else at all.

So what attacks have people found to be good? I just bought the boomerang one last night but haven't given it a real shot yet, mostly been using peashooter/shotgun alternating between so far.

The boomerang made the flower boss pretty easy. It's great for when there's a lot of poo poo you gotta get rid of fast.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Internet Kraken posted:

This was the first thing I unlocked because improving the dodge and giving it invincibility frames sounded like a necessity. I can't imagine playing without it. I do wish that Cuphead became transparent so you could see him a bit rather than go completely invisible. Sometimes it's hard to judge the distance you go.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xaris posted:

yeah the passive trinkets are generally bad from what I seen. I picked up Smoke Dash at the very start (along with the shotgun attack) and haven't regretted it since. Admittingly I haven't seen all the passive potions but yeah I can't imagine using anything else at all. Others might be better if they didn't have negative traits, just seems like a weird decision

Like someone else said earlier, the Charge Shot is really good. A tapped, uncharged shot is stronger than two hits of the peashooter I believe. If you're good at keeping a full charge and don't miss you'll melt bosses away. The sniper shot is trash, the shotgun owns and I haven't used the bouncing one at all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
From what I've seen the charge shot destroys most bosses. Its pretty easy to see why; the trade-off for the charge shot is supposed to be that you can't rapid fire so you need to aim carefully. However, almost every single boss in this game is massive and has no forms of evasion. The challenge doesn't come from hitting them but from avoiding their attacks. So when you're going to land every shot anyways, of course the charge shot is amazing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

bouncing one does decent damage (probably on par with uncharged shots) but can be awkward to use against bosses you need to keep your distance from. i chewed up the minibosses during dessert lady with it, but in her final phase it's useless.

the charge shot owns bones but it bugs the heck out of me it doesn't pierce through enemies/projectiles like megaman shots would in the same situation

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Holy poo poo I just tried it, the boomerang one owns lol

I'll have to try charge shot next.

Also what does Skill Level exactly do? Appears to be just "use your alt weapon at least one" from what I can tell. I got an A- with just one SL star and 3/3 parry, and redid it (same time) and got 2 SL stars but 2/3 parry and my range was only B+, Parry 3/3 matters so much more apparently

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

This is great, I just bought it and beat the ball guy, the frogs, the mausoleum and the veggie bros.

Honestly it's not THAT hard so far. I beat the frogs and vegetables on my first try on regular, it's on par with the harder Megaman games.

Now I'm trying to kill the half moon boss, almost got her! Will there be a run and gun airplane stage? That'd be pretty cool.

The art style reminds me a lot of Madoka Magica, it's all slightly menacing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

This is great, I just bought it and beat the ball guy, the frogs, the mausoleum and the veggie bros.

Honestly it's not THAT hard so far.

Give Cagney Carnation my regards. :getin:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Xaris posted:

I'll have to try charge shot next.

Also what does Skill Level exactly do? Appears to be just "use your alt weapon at least one" from what I can tell. I got an A- with just one SL star and 3/3 parry, and redid it (same time) and got 2 SL stars but 2/3 parry and my range was only B+, Parry 3/3 matters so much more apparently

skill level is whether you pick simple or regular as your difficulty i'm pretty sure

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you're talking about "super meter" it seems to be unintuitively how many super cards you've spent. so at least one ex move and one super shot required to get the 6.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Xaris posted:

That was the first one I bought, it's really loving weird having to aim away from enemies but once you get used to it yeah it owns. Mainly because the Special can do like four or five hits.

But then I also went and added the health trinket right off the bat so the boss fights were a bit longer than they should've been. The health trinket does have one good use though, and that's airplane stages where you can't even use your invisible dash anyways.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

King Vidiot posted:

That was the first one I bought, it's really loving weird having to aim away from enemies but once you get used to it yeah it owns. Mainly because the Special can do like four or five hits.

But then I also went and added the health trinket right off the bat so the boss fights were a bit longer than they should've been. The health trinket does have one good use though, and that's airplane stages where you can't even use your invisible dash anyways.

Yup. gently caress miss blimpy with only three mistakes instead of four

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Krakhan posted:

The real homage is one where the 2nd last stage is really similar to one from Gunstar Heroes.

It even has a Melon Bread boss.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Cowcaster posted:

skill level is whether you pick simple or regular as your difficulty i'm pretty sure

Nah I've played only on regular and sometimes got 1 star (generally rare) so I didn't know what it did.

Then again you may be right and the game is just buggy at times. I've noticed some weird poo poo like when I started up it remembered all the bosses I beat but all my equipment was gone and i had 0 gold. I had to exit and restart and it was back to normal but that was quite an 'oh poo poo' scare. Also if you parry like a balloon too fast it slows and lags the game down, so just little odd ball poo poo.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 1, 2017

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
Just finished today. Absolutely loved it. My only complaint is that I found the last isle far too easy compared to isle 2. I was surprised when I finished a bunch of levels on 1st and 2nd attempt.

That said, now I’m going through on co-op and while some battles are easier, other levels are so much tougher with two on screen. One of my favorite games this year.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...
My mother effin' game won't save. Twice now I've played, killed bosses, and when I boot back up I'm at 29% completion again. Anyone have any idea how to access your save files in Windows 10 with a game bought using Xbox / Windows 10 crossplay?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This game is harder than I thought. Fun, though.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Has anyone noticed this bug with the final boss?

In phase one of The Devil fight, when he does the move where he goes snake-mode and slithers across the screen, if he does it from left to right, I'm able to avoid damage as long as I don't lose track of the little devil minions. However, if he slithers from right to left I seem to get hit by some invisible projectile or something unless I smoke dash the moment he pulls back, but there isn't anything there that would hit me. It's not the minions from the background, he doesn't shoot any projectiles during that move (as far as I've been able to tel), and it only ever happens from right to left.

The game is fantastic though. I'm sorry I'm almost through with it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Has anyone noticed this bug with the final boss?

In phase one of The Devil fight, when he does the move where he goes snake-mode and slithers across the screen, if he does it from left to right, I'm able to avoid damage as long as I don't lose track of the little devil minions. However, if he slithers from right to left I seem to get hit by some invisible projectile or something unless I smoke dash the moment he pulls back, but there isn't anything there that would hit me. It's not the minions from the background, he doesn't shoot any projectiles during that move (as far as I've been able to tel), and it only ever happens from right to left.

The game is fantastic though. I'm sorry I'm almost through with it.

Yeah this happened to me. I ran into a few other bugs throughout the game but it was fine overall.

And hey, you don't have to be done. Once you beat the Devil you unlock Expert versions of every boss

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think my copy is broken, I have to hold down the shoot button constantly. It seems like instead there should be a button that you push in the rare instance where you don't want to be shooting for some reason.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Invincible dodging is definitely super nice (and should probably be your default) but I had a lot of fun using the axe parry ability. It's significant extra damage on bosses, especially the ones that don't share damage + hurt hitboxes such as the end boss' final two phases.

I'd get up in their faces with shotgun, constantly jumping and axe parrying, and then use the invulnerability super to break through phases that were a little too dangerous to do that comfortably. I don't think it makes any of the fights much easier since reaction time and screen space for movement both get perilously reduced, but it sure as heck made them fast and crazy haha.

I get the feeling maximizing hits with that will be a big deal in beating bosses as quickly as possible.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The axe parry sounds useless because you only get it once per fight according to the description. I guess speedrunners will care since any extra bit of damage matters but for most people killing a boss slightly faster isn't worth avoiding way more damage.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Axe parry gives your first parry on every jump a damaging aoe attack that will damage normal enemies / bosses and if ya damage one give ya a second hop as if you parried a pink. You can constantly short hop and axe parry with it against bosses, it's neat! But you're definitely right, I don't think it's helpful / superior for most players but I had fun stubbornly trying to burn through phases with it haha.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Actually that sounds pretty neat. Everyone I've watched has looked at sugar/axe and assumed they worked once per level and not even tried them, cause the description kind of makes them sound like that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

withak posted:

I think my copy is broken, I have to hold down the shoot button constantly. It seems like instead there should be a button that you push in the rare instance where you don't want to be shooting for some reason.
You don't want to pop the purple parry-able objects with your gun a lot of the time and you'll do it offscreen if you don't know better (plus a lot of RNG of what is going to be parry-able or not). That's basically about it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This dragon is the worst. I don't even know how you'd do his second phase without the homing shot.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Justin_Brett posted:

This dragon is the worst. I don't even know how you'd do his second phase without the homing shot.

The part with the fire people? The middle section of clouds can easily reach him, if you're still having an issue, crouch. That phase is hard avoiding the fire people but you can hit him easily as long as you're not on the top row of clouds

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I feel like a right rear end for misjudging this game when it first got revealed.

I'm so used to 95% of the indie games I see being hyper violent or "hey check out these grim undertones" that I instantly registered this game as one of them on announcement. Like I misunderstood the concept and thought that Cuphead was the Devils minions and he'd have to go around brutally murdering people or something.

No it turns out it's a plaid straight and is completely innocent and charming as all hell. Really wish I had a way to play it but I can at least hope it sells well enough regardless.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

The lob shot. You can stay high enough to react to flames while raining death from on high.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Charge shot fucks up the dragon just like it does to every boss

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Give Cagney Carnation my regards. :getin:

Just wooped his rear end on my second try! Maybe it helps that I just played through a bunch of Megaman games. I also beat the flying boss, so now I'm on to the second island. Also found the shortcut

Now I know what this game reminds me the most of: Nightmare Busters.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

slev posted:

Charge shot fucks up the dragon just like it does to every boss

I'm very happy that weapon usage is largely a matter of preference. I've gone the entire game with just the Peashooter and Spread and haven't really used the other shots. (though I did use the lob shot for the Bee boss)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So like what are the first two purchases everyone goes to get? Because I notice that after the first Run N Gun you can get enough for a trinket and a shot or two shots. Also gently caress Treetop Tumble, poo poo gets a bit aggravating somehow.

• Locked thread