Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Cuphead, this game is crazy hard but a lot of fun. I love the cartoon style graphics and gameplay mechanics. The boss fights are a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like the boomerang best so far, spread is a bit underwhelming, and the boomerang lets you cover a lot of space. The dash invulnerability upgrade is the best.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I feel like a right rear end for misjudging this game when it first got revealed.

I'm so used to 95% of the indie games I see being hyper violent or "hey check out these grim undertones" that I instantly registered this game as one of them on announcement. Like I misunderstood the concept and thought that Cuphead was the Devils minions and he'd have to go around brutally murdering people or something.
I never once got that impression at alll. The only hesitation I had from the first run n gun gameplay/first boss video was that it felt and sounded pretty boring overall and maybe one of those art-first-gameplay-second games like Banner Saga (lol). I'm also glad I was wrong, I still have some minor nitpicks overall (looking at you parry scoring) but I enjoy the crazy art and the gameplay is actually pretty good and bosses well thought out, and really a lot of the run n guns ended up being cool like the ones in World 2 were good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

widespread posted:

So like what are the first two purchases everyone goes to get? Because I notice that after the first Run N Gun you can get enough for a trinket and a shot or two shots. Also gently caress Treetop Tumble, poo poo gets a bit aggravating somehow.

Definitely get the Smoke Dash first, it's necessary.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I feel like a right rear end for misjudging this game when it first got revealed.

I'm so used to 95% of the indie games I see being hyper violent or "hey check out these grim undertones" that I instantly registered this game as one of them on announcement. Like I misunderstood the concept and thought that Cuphead was the Devils minions and he'd have to go around brutally murdering people or something.

No it turns out it's a plaid straight and is completely innocent and charming as all hell. Really wish I had a way to play it but I can at least hope it sells well enough regardless.

Uhm.... about them being the devil's pawns.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Definitely get the Smoke Dash first, it's necessary.

I can agree. Also got Chaser but it doesn't feel right?

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

widespread posted:

So like what are the first two purchases everyone goes to get? Because I notice that after the first Run N Gun you can get enough for a trinket and a shot or two shots. Also gently caress Treetop Tumble, poo poo gets a bit aggravating somehow.

For me, it was Smoke Dash and Spread. Smoke Dash is one of my biggest gripes with the game because it's so INCREDIBLY useful that there really isn't any reason to use any of the other items in that slot, and it's one of the very first items Porkrind offers.

On the other hand, Spread was really just to help with swarms of destructible projectiles in between shooting the bosses with the peashooter. The default weapon is the best weapon, imo.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...

Thello posted:

My mother effin' game won't save. Twice now I've played, killed bosses, and when I boot back up I'm at 29% completion again. Anyone have any idea how to access your save files in Windows 10 with a game bought using Xbox / Windows 10 crossplay?
Solved. FYI:

:siren: If you bought Cuphead from the Windows Store, DO NOT ALT-TAB. There is currently a bug that disables auto-saving if you alt-tab out. :siren:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

No it turns out it's a plaid straight and is completely innocent and charming as all hell. Really wish I had a way to play it but I can at least hope it sells well enough regardless.

Are there really that many indie games that do that? I can't say I've felt like it was a common thing before.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Having a good 2D game controller is really necessary I think, I read a lot of reviews complaining about how it's hard to aim in 8 directions. I have an SNES Buffalo USB pad and I don't have that problem at all (although that controller has other problems, the rubber pads under the buttons gets stiff over time so now my L key tends to stick when I press it).

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Has anyone noticed this bug with the final boss?

In phase one of The Devil fight, when he does the move where he goes snake-mode and slithers across the screen, if he does it from left to right, I'm able to avoid damage as long as I don't lose track of the little devil minions. However, if he slithers from right to left I seem to get hit by some invisible projectile or something unless I smoke dash the moment he pulls back, but there isn't anything there that would hit me. It's not the minions from the background, he doesn't shoot any projectiles during that move (as far as I've been able to tel), and it only ever happens from right to left.

The game is fantastic though. I'm sorry I'm almost through with it.

I also ran into this bug. However, you can just go under the first gap he has in his snake form and duck when he pulls back to avoid all damage. I think this is the 'intended' way, like when he stretches his arms and legs where you can just duck under the leg parts, instead of jumping and then dashing between them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Xaris posted:

I never once got that impression at alll. The only hesitation I had from the first run n gun gameplay/first boss video was that it felt and sounded pretty boring overall and maybe one of those art-first-gameplay-second games like Banner Saga (lol). I'm also glad I was wrong, I still have some minor nitpicks overall (looking at you parry scoring) but I enjoy the crazy art and the gameplay is actually pretty good and bosses well thought out, and really a lot of the run n guns ended up being cool like the ones in World 2 were good.

The big thing I got from the reveal is that cuphead and mugman were working for the devil and it had a couple ominous shots of CH demanding the soul contracts from bosses and a cut hub(?) (though might of been a boss) of being in hell with the Devil.

Really nothing explicit and mostly on me for totally misreading the tone.

Internet Kraken posted:

Are there really that many indie games that do that? I can't say I've felt like it was a common thing before.

Might just be the ones that I stumble across but there's a lot of bloody beat-em-ups, top down gorey shooters, stuff like BoI, hell can even go with Undertale if you decide to tackle a genocide path. A lot of indie games I personally came across just kinda have me wary of trusting friendly tones.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 2, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The big thing I got from the reveal is that cuphead and mugman were working for the devil and it had a couple ominous shots of CH demanding the soul contracts from bosses and a cut hub(?) (though might of been a boss) of being in hell with the Devil.

Really nothing explicit and mostly on me for totally misreading the tone.

I assume you got the impression from this trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TjUPXAn2Rg

I can understand why you'd think that but "dealing with the devil" is a pretty classic cartoon premise.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

I assume you got the impression from this trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TjUPXAn2Rg

I can understand why you'd think that but "dealing with the devil" is a pretty classic cartoon premise.

Yeah, after seeing that I was kinda like "that looks neat but I'm tired of darker tones" so didn't pay too much attention till like a week ago when I realized no I'm being dumb.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I can't stop metaphorically jacking off over the art style. Of all the things you can take inspiration from old school cartoons is such a good angle.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Man Cala Maria is kind of a dick. She was actually an easy boss and my first "win" at her was an A+ (most have been B+/B), but it also took like 20 tries to get there. I didn't realize you could smash the stick left/right while mashing A to breakout of stone faster, also didn't realize bombs weren't damaging her (I was trying to stay up top to avoid the stone-beam but her head blocks the bombs), and that third part with the cave was RNG as gently caress whether I got stoned right by the edges or green bubble.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I can't stop metaphorically jacking off over the art style. Of all the things you can take inspiration from old school cartoons is such a good angle.

The only mistake they made was not locking the framerate to 24 fps.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I wonder if Cuphead goes for the TRULY authentic 1930s cartoon experience and has something hilariously racist

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Xenomrph posted:

I wonder if Cuphead goes for the TRULY authentic 1930s cartoon experience and has something hilariously racist

There will be a DLC boss who transforms between all the different offensive stereotypes as the level progresses.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think the german mouse wiz zee hilariously zick accent is the closest the game comes to using stereotypes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

I think the devs of this game are smart enough to realize that would totally gently caress up the amazing PR they have so far.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Even if it'd be a logistic nightmare to design, in a future fight I'd like to see the Max Fleischer hallmark, the Endless Wobbly Hallway. Like Cuphead and Mugman run towards the screen and dodge the enemy's attacks for a phase of the fight as the boss chases behind them.

Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7T7fOXxMEk&t=284s

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think the devs of this game are smart enough to realize that would totally gently caress up the amazing PR they have so far.

Well yeah, I was mostly being facetious. :v:

I'd still laugh pretty hard if they did it. "Hey man we're just being AUTHENTIC. It was a different time! You can't judge it!"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Am I supposed to be able to buy everything from Porkrinds in my first playthrough? I just got "Coffers Full" achievement but I'm still 3 gold short of being able to buy the last item at Porkys

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
Well this game sure is good. Before it came out I was worried that it would try to coast on its art while having dull gameplay. Nope.

I got an S rank on all the bosses today. It was very satisfying.

I feel like this it's strong contender for "best visuals to ever be in a videogame", too.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Xaris posted:

Am I supposed to be able to buy everything from Porkrinds in my first playthrough? I just got "Coffers Full" achievement but I'm still 3 gold short of being able to buy the last item at Porkys

There is a coin hidden on each isle map.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

You need to wait for the "Censored Eleven" DLC.

Featuring guest VA by Pewfiepie and JonTron.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

King Vidiot posted:

Even if it'd be a logistic nightmare to design, in a future fight I'd like to see the Max Fleischer hallmark, the Endless Wobbly Hallway. Like Cuphead and Mugman run towards the screen and dodge the enemy's attacks for a phase of the fight as the boss chases behind them.

Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7T7fOXxMEk&t=284s

King Dice probably came closest to his style with the backgrounds of the boss arenas and the "swallow the camera" effect.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Out of curiosity how many people are rebinding keys? My brain cannot handle shoot and jump so close to each other and moving shoot to a trigger button made me beat that slot machine on my 2nd attempt.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

shoot and jump being next to each other is fine but it is mandatory to have dash, ult, and weapon switch under separate fingers because you want to be able to do all of them simultaneously

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
RT shoot, LT dash, Y switch, B big weapon, LB freeze

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I liked watching a few internet personalities play this game and get better over time but it seems Charge Shot being absurdly busted is just mainstream now. Everyones using it to just sail through bosses and tank hits and it's kind of a bummer.

I wonder if the devs will tone it down slightly because as is it kills bosses before they can even cycle through their full attack list and that's kind of absurd.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Haven't been able to play in a day or two, went back and fought the dragon again, beat him in 3 or 4 tries. I can't stress enough how important it is to just take your time on the final phase. Unless you're trying to perfect the score and get it done faster, just don't even bother trying to shoot him when the fireballs are coming at you, because of how they act when you shoot them. Instead I stopped attacking, focused on dodging them, and then when they stopped being fired, I would unload on the boss, casue then you just need to keep an eye on his VERY telegraphed flamethrower attack. The RNG of the clouds isn't very much of a factor at all, they're pretty consistent. Play it safe, and don't try to rush it, is my advice for the dragon if you're having trouble with it. Honestly the hardest phase is easily the second, because the fire guys don't always jump at you. Sometimes they jump completely opposite direction of where you think they'll go, which ends up with you dodging RIGHT into them. Another time where I say play it safe and play it slow and focus on dodging the fire guys above all else. They're the only source of damage, and there's a tiny break in between when several of them jump at you.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Macaluso posted:

Haven't been able to play in a day or two, went back and fought the dragon again, beat him in 3 or 4 tries. I can't stress enough how important it is to just take your time on the final phase.
Or just use the Boomerang and keep facing the opposite direction dodging while holding down attack. He melts quickly.

The second phase was indeed annoying but I discovered sitting on the lowest cloud (but not on the tongue) semeed to work well for not getting hit by the fireball guys for some reason. Again also use the Boomerang Atk while dodging because it flips backwards

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I liked watching a few internet personalities play this game and get better over time but it seems Charge Shot being absurdly busted is just mainstream now. Everyones using it to just sail through bosses and tank hits and it's kind of a bummer.

I wonder if the devs will tone it down slightly because as is it kills bosses before they can even cycle through their full attack list and that's kind of absurd.
While Charge Shot is definitely good, I still prefer the boomerang attack and have basically beat the game with it* (still working on the King Dice, gently caress you Start Over square)

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I'm really bad at the plane levels, which is unfortunate because I'm currently at a spot where my only choices are to fight one of two plane bosses. Is there a trick I'm not seeing? There's just so much stuff on the screen that it seems nearly impossible to dodge without going into mini-plan form,, but you can't really do damage as mini-plane.

The robot is the one that's really tough for me right now.

Edit: Do the bombs have notably higher dps than the regular gun? I've been playing under the assumption that they do, which could be part of the problem.

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 3, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:lol: I'M SO stupid. I thought the only way to hurt the bird in the final phase was attacking his heart when he spits it up. No wonder that phase was taking so long :suicide:

edit: Oh my god the knockout animation for the bird is so good

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 3, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Zinkraptor posted:

I'm really bad at the plane levels, which is unfortunate because I'm currently at a spot where my only choices are to fight one of two plane bosses. Is there a trick I'm not seeing? There's just so much stuff on the screen that it seems nearly impossible to dodge without going into mini-plan form,, but you can't really do damage as mini-plane.

Edit: Do the bombs have notably higher dps than the regular gun? I've been playing under the assumption that they do, which could be part of the problem.

The robot one, some recommendations, 1) Try to damage all three of his bays more or less evenly (i.e. don't kill one at a time) then quickly finish them off to exposure the heart and superbomb it. Once you destroy a bay it starts doing crazier poo poo like spitting yellow bolts, arms, homing bombs, etc at you and its quickly overwhelming. 2) The second phase with his head is easy and predictable, just damage it from the back when it flys across the bottom of your screen and hit it from the top as it comes at you, mini-plane to dodge as necessary. 3) There's a lot going on but the gem-beams are kind of predictable and just slowly work your way up around them holding attack. I stayed in regular mode most of the time but feel free to buy time with mini-plane just to stay alive.

And yeah use the regular gun, I think its better than the bomb-attack.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Zinkraptor posted:

Don't worry about doing damage in mini-form, it's really just useful for shrinking down and dodging between shots. You'll have to get a hang of it for the difficult levels, and the robot is one of the harder ones.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:lol: The pirate fight felt really basic until the final phase. Very much went from "just dodge this, dodge that, dodge this and uhhh UHHHH" then lazer blasted RIP

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Reminds of a lot of the old Astro Boy game by Treasure. It had flying, bullet hell, and a great art style.

Xenomrph posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

nachos posted:

Out of curiosity how many people are rebinding keys? My brain cannot handle shoot and jump so close to each other and moving shoot to a trigger button made me beat that slot machine on my 2nd attempt.

I rebound lock to LT and Dash to RT. Beyond that, it's just standard shooter controls, so I just left those alone.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That just sounds like speedrunning to me. I don't like the charge shot and have found far more success with the peashooter, but people min/maxing and using specific tech to be as efficient as possible is just what happens with games like these. Hell, I've been able to cycle through entire phases before the boss has been able to use all their attacks with the peashooter.

I'm looking forward to seeing full on optimized speedruns of this.

• Locked thread