Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

discworld is all I read posted:

The heat is on as Edward has to take a slightly slimy detour into darkness. But what's the real terror that is lying in what for him down in the sewer...the answer is sassy cult leader phone calls.

And for our bonus this time around, we get a very slightly upgraded gun and we do a lil gardening: Bonus 2- Getting to the root of the issue

Really, I'd say if you still had the videos to give them a watch. I seem to recall that Hbomb was a lot less ummm forgiving than I was with the game and his group commentary was a much more comedic take on the game. So it can be a nice counter point to how I'm trying to approach things.

See the crafting system is great, you can make Impact Molotovs, Bouncy Molotovs, Sticky Molotovs & Extra Damage Sticky Molotovs, it's an almost entirely Molotov based crafting system :). But dumb jokes aside this game gets right what 99% of other crafting systems fail at: Letting you use similar items to make the same thing, like both handkerchiefs & bandages are valid fuses and you can use any kind of spray can to make they flame-thrower not just the anti-insect one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hel posted:

See the crafting system is great, you can make Impact Molotovs, Bouncy Molotovs, Sticky Molotovs & Extra Damage Sticky Molotovs, it's an almost entirely Molotov based crafting system :). But dumb jokes aside this game gets right what 99% of other crafting systems fail at: Letting you use similar items to make the same thing, like both handkerchiefs & bandages are valid fuses and you can use any kind of spray can to make they flame-thrower not just the anti-insect one.

Yeah, not simply using "generic all purpose material x can do a, b and c" actually makes it feel more like you're McGyvering it up, even if the crafting list is fairly limited.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Aye, I definitely like the ability to use healing items in a pinch (or if you just have a surplus of stuff) and especially with the limited inventory space it becomes necessary to figure out what works best for a person's play style. But it's a bit weird how the game decides to introduce the player to all the crafting system can offer. I mean, right off the bat there are a bunch of recipes in the phone and if you were curious you could find them there, but then there's also forced tutorials in the next couple of chapters that seem to force the player into using the more in-depth crafting. It's like they realized they needed people to see more of their cool crafting system, so they had to shoe horn in reasons to use it outside of the player's own creativity.

I am hoping though that with the next chapter, and a specific encounter therein, that we can do something extra fun with crafting.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Alright, so we've regrouped with Sarah and we can finally go the museum and meet the ghost of Theo...or whatever is supposed to be waiting for us there. It's all still a bit of a mystery but it might involve Lucifer now, so there is that. More importantly things are starting to get a bit buggy and that's a good thing for us as long as I can keep progressing. Thankfully we can start to harness favorites now and get easier use of our armaments, which does work out since combat encounters are going to be getting more difficult. I assume that's because there's only 8 total chapters in the game and we just managed to finish the 4th...so we're technically half way through the game but rest assured there's going to be some reasons why our journey might extend.

Also I was thinking of making a bonus video to show off some odds and ends in the park (such as a very random usage of the outdated anti-car theft device known as The Club) but after taking a look at the map I realized I had something more important to do....Bonus 3: The gardening continues. It may seem a bit pointless right now but it'll pay off in the long run, trust me.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 19, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am unsure why Sarah really decided to stick with Carnby aside from narrative conceit. They don't really get along and what on earth makes her think he can protect her better than literally anyone else? But she wants to help and the story needs her around so here we go.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

I am unsure why Sarah really decided to stick with Carnby aside from narrative conceit. They don't really get along and what on earth makes her think he can protect her better than literally anyone else? But she wants to help and the story needs her around so here we go.
She clearly wants to stick around cause Edward is a stone cold bad rear end who's got all the right answers to what he's presented with. Case in point, I managed to find some extra footage of him being good at what he does- Bonus 4: Missing footage showing Edward's competence

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Is anyone else getting a weird audio bug? At exactly 6:00 minutes in the audio for the video starts again but the video carries on. Meaning the audio is about 6 minutes behind. I don't know if that's Youtube having a hissyfit about something. But it does it no matter how many times I try to watch the video

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That didn't happen to me, sorry.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Happens to me and I just tried it on Chromium, Firefox and Edge so not an issue with the browser.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
It happened to me, and after refreshing I read the video description.

(In an attempt to eliminate the song, youtube instead doubled up on game audio for a short bit, sorry, but ummm I might fix it later. It's only about 40 seconds of the video though)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, apparently the short music clip I used not only hit me with dumb ads on the video but it also limited what devices could play the video. So to support the lovely folks that probably watch these on mobile devices or what have you then I decided to use youtube's editing tool to eliminate the offending song. Apparently though it didn't just delete the audio but instead decided to splice in other audio. Needless to say I'm debating on whether or not to re-upload a version of the video with that audio cut out. I'm honestly leaning towards no because it's such a relatively small part of the video, but if it annoys enough people then I can upload a fixed version when I get home from work.

The thing is though that the audio will fix itself once you get past that last bit of the driving section, so it does not affect the rest of the video.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Weird. Did I watch the video before that took effect or something?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Weird. Did I watch the video before that took effect or something?
Yeah, youtube is lovely like that sometimes. But I'll just upload a new version tonight and it'll be fine like wine.

edit: alright, updated version up on youtube and OP has been updated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1xsbpcbhKU

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 19, 2017

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That is so adorably janky with the car just materializing below you and the atrocious dialogue and story. Honestly I'd like the story a great deal better if it was just an unrelated story to Alone in the Dark, the tie-in really isn't doing them any favours.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't remember too much of what 2008 gaming trends were like but its still a bit interesting to see so many of the things that every other action-y game has now (basic crafting, open world which adds nothing, side quests) and can do at least somewhat competently show up here and be so low rate. Now I'm wondering if we have Alone in the Dark to blame for every single overly simple crafting system and terrible over world.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I don't remember too much of what 2008 gaming trends were like but its still a bit interesting to see so many of the things that every other action-y game has now (basic crafting, open world which adds nothing, side quests) and can do at least somewhat competently show up here and be so low rate. Now I'm wondering if we have Alone in the Dark to blame for every single overly simple crafting system and terrible over world.
Hmm, that's a bit hard to say. I don't think most of the people who worked on the game went on to anything else (at least in this genre) and I doubt many other developers were looking to this game for any inspiration. I think Uncharted had come out in 2007 and probably inspired this game a bit and then there was poo poo like Farcry 2 (which came out in 2008) that combined an open world with driving and tedious side-tasks, so it could have been that Alone in the Dark was cribbing from those games rather than vice versa.

If anything it was a bit surprising that they dumped this game's formula entirely in the next installment, Illumination, where they decided to make a Left 4 Dead clone. Cause I mean, granted this game has some jank and problems, but it wasn't that poorly received. Illumination on the other hand....well it did terribly and was received terribly to say the least.

Keldulas posted:

That is so adorably janky with the car just materializing below you and the atrocious dialogue and story. Honestly I'd like the story a great deal better if it was just an unrelated story to Alone in the Dark, the tie-in really isn't doing them any favours.
I was actually pretty fearful that I was going to make it through the game relatively bug free and thus miss out on the inherent humor of the game bugging out, but thankfully things worked out pretty well.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So, feeling pretty good. I don't think I'll have to re-upload this video and did pretty well in getting through a massive difficulty spike in the game. Also I managed to swallow bits of vomit as Sarah's Stockholm Syndrome kicked in and she made out with Edward "I'm not the public and I will shoot you" Carnby. Outside of that though, my greater question is mostly...why the sudden change in difficulty? Up to the point the player is maybe dealing with one or two 'humanz' (and yeah, that is apparently the humanoid enemy's name if the achievements are to be believed) and suddenly we're being hit up by six or seven of them at once with next to no items in the general area. And that's after probably burning through a lot of bullets shooting endless swarms of ratz and vampirz...gently caress those names are terrible. Either way, while I do make it look comparatively easy, it's a massive spike that could be a bit of a hurdle to get over. But at least the boss was cool and called Carnby names.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That make out at the start and then the random awkward flirtation at the end there were pretty wretched. "Our goal, at last! Your pretty hot when you shut up."

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

So, feeling pretty good. I don't think I'll have to re-upload this video and did pretty well in getting through a massive difficulty spike in the game. Also I managed to swallow bits of vomit as Sarah's Stockholm Syndrome kicked in and she made out with Edward "I'm not the public and I will shoot you" Carnby. Outside of that though, my greater question is mostly...why the sudden change in difficulty? Up to the point the player is maybe dealing with one or two 'humanz' (and yeah, that is apparently the humanoid enemy's name if the achievements are to be believed) and suddenly we're being hit up by six or seven of them at once with next to no items in the general area. And that's after probably burning through a lot of bullets shooting endless swarms of ratz and vampirz...gently caress those names are terrible. Either way, while I do make it look comparatively easy, it's a massive spike that could be a bit of a hurdle to get over. But at least the boss was cool and called Carnby names.

GRA! Right at the orchestral hit!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

That make out at the start and then the random awkward flirtation at the end there were pretty wretched. "Our goal, at last! Your pretty hot when you shut up."

The makeout, not so much. You are suspended in a meat bag, feeling your life drain away. You black out, just to awaken to see the one person who seems to be effective fighting the menace killing everything else, and it is obviously he worked to save you. A quick kiss is far from improbable.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Hooray! Another LP! ...which I nearly missed due to your name change.

Aside from the horrible attempts at romance (and all the dialog, really), I will hand it to the game - they have some great set-pieces and good atmosphere. I was not expecting to get tense watching the attempt to survive the building and first mad drive through the city, but I was tense. And the surreal trip through pieces of rooms suspended over the chasm was neat. I'm definitely glad you're playing the game for me, but this is good.

Too bad Edward is so unpersonable. Dude could at least thank those security guards for opening gates for him before they gruesomely die.

And I confess I wish Sarah was useful. She has some moxie, and while I'm very used to useless women what need rescuing, I am so very tired of it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Trust me when I say that she does become super useful to the plot but it's a bit hamfisted...along with the entire next chapter. It's one of the shorter ones in the game but it's so bizarre after this chapter. I guess it does make sense if you consider each episode kind of a self contained gimmick. Action set pieces and parkour leading into driving set pieces and chases, then suddenly you're puzzle platforming in a sewer and now you're in an open world exploration setting, and leading into a punishing series of arenas and puzzles testing the player's limits. Oh yeah, there's also romance, CPR mini-games, and quite possibly Satan. It's honestly a bit surprising for the bizarre mixture of good and poo poo that this game presents that there aren't more LP's of it. It seems like perfect fodder for a snarky adventure.

Also if you're looking for more moxie driven female characters, I just finished an LP of Koudelka and that stars a gypsy prostitute who doesn't take poo poo from anyone (whether they be the clergy, roguish thieves, or even Shub Niggurath).

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Trust me when I say that she does become super useful to the plot but it's a bit hamfisted...along with the entire next chapter. It's one of the shorter ones in the game but it's so bizarre after this chapter. I guess it does make sense if you consider each episode kind of a self contained gimmick. Action set pieces and parkour leading into driving set pieces and chases, then suddenly you're puzzle platforming in a sewer and now you're in an open world exploration setting, and leading into a punishing series of arenas and puzzles testing the player's limits. Oh yeah, there's also romance, CPR mini-games, and quite possibly Satan. It's honestly a bit surprising for the bizarre mixture of good and poo poo that this game presents that there aren't more LP's of it. It seems like perfect fodder for a snarky adventure.

Also if you're looking for more moxie driven female characters, I just finished an LP of Koudelka and that stars a gypsy prostitute who doesn't take poo poo from anyone (whether they be the clergy, roguish thieves, or even Shub Niggurath).

Cheers on the new installment. Turns out I was your first thumbs up.

Link to the Koudelka LP also please?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Samizdata posted:

Cheers on the new installment. Turns out I was your first thumbs up.

Link to the Koudelka LP also please?
Yeah, had a bit of a brain fart since I updated the thread and didn't make the video public. So I was just sitting there for two hours going "gently caress, did I mess up the video again..." but nope, just forgot to make it live.

And here's the Koudelka link since it's already in the archive: https://lparchive.org/Koudelka/. I had sworn there was one done before, then I checked the master list and realized why it was gone (cause of that ol' rapist Azure Horizon).

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
What the guard said about Forlifts and digital interfaces is referring to a level in the PS2/Wii version of the game. I have no idea why they put that line into this version of the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Resources and technicalities probably meant they planned the level with the dialogue recorded and everything and then realized it couldn't be done on time or on budget or without obnoxiously padding an already dense and challenging level. Or maybe it is a joke about the other version. Were they released simultaneously?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Resources and technicalities probably meant they planned the level with the dialogue recorded and everything and then realized it couldn't be done on time or on budget or without obnoxiously padding an already dense and challenging level. Or maybe it is a joke about the other version. Were they released simultaneously?
Well spoiler alert but there will be forklifts soon. But it looks like everything, sans the PS3 version, were made at the same time.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
I'm really enjoying this LP. Your deadpan commentary over the garbage fire that is this game cracks me up on a regular basis.

I was going to say a bunch of other stuff about what's going on, but I think the third post in this thread really just sums it up:

Crane Fist posted:

This game has one of the biggest gaps between ambition and execution I've ever seen

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's boss fights like that which make me realize why QTE sequences as a final fight got really popular for a while.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Wait, that's the intended way to beat the boss? no wonder it always felt weird and anticlimactic to me and had me wondering why there where far to many pillars for it to knock down. Apparently I was skipping the first half of the boss fight by going straight for the moltovs.
Speaking of molotovs a thing I hadn't noticed about the favourite system until your LP is that if you don't have something but have the resources for it, the game automatically crafts it for you, that's a pretty neat QoL thing I wish more games did.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hel posted:

Wait, that's the intended way to beat the boss? no wonder it always felt weird and anticlimactic to me and had me wondering why there where far to many pillars for it to knock down. Apparently I was skipping the first half of the boss fight by going straight for the moltovs.
Speaking of molotovs a thing I hadn't noticed about the favourite system until your LP is that if you don't have something but have the resources for it, the game automatically crafts it for you, that's a pretty neat QoL thing I wish more games did.
Yeah, it's honestly a huge time saver for molotovs and possibly for more complex things...though I'm not sure where I'd need them. Especially the most dangerous weapon: empty bottle+wick+emergency flare! If anything, there's probably one more thing that I'll make sure and make to see how destructive it is, but the more complex crafting seems very superfluous. I'm kinda wondering now if I can favorite fire bullets though, cause I realize I'm using though a lot and I'm slowly getting better at hitting weak spots.

For the boss, I don't know; I was worried about running out of molotovs or general supplies, so I tried to be conservative with it. I get the impression though, if you duct taped him with three molotovs and blew them up all at once he'd just insta-die.

Skrewtape posted:

I'm really enjoying this LP. Your deadpan commentary over the garbage fire that is this game cracks me up on a regular basis.

I was going to say a bunch of other stuff about what's going on, but I think the third post in this thread really just sums it up:
Oh, it's ain't that bad. I'm just surprised that even gamefaqs defines this game as a difficult one. It's definitely getting rougher the further in the game you go.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Yeah, had a bit of a brain fart since I updated the thread and didn't make the video public. So I was just sitting there for two hours going "gently caress, did I mess up the video again..." but nope, just forgot to make it live.

And here's the Koudelka link since it's already in the archive: https://lparchive.org/Koudelka/. I had sworn there was one done before, then I checked the master list and realized why it was gone (cause of that ol' rapist Azure Horizon).

I will have to check it out. Baldurk is doing God's work, BTW.

Wow, I have ZERO context on Azure Horizon.

EDIT: Lovely LP, BTW. And ALWAYS feel free to show me the way to cheese bosses. Only way to go, IMO.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I caught and devoured your LP on Koudelka, very much enjoyed it!

Looking forward to the rest of this one.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Kacie posted:

I caught and devoured your LP on Koudelka, very much enjoyed it!

Looking forward to the rest of this one.

:same:

I usually don't have much to say besides that I enjoy your efforts. You've got a soothing style, which isn't something I'd generally associate with horror games. For the most part I find that I can't play horror genre games; I get way too anxious to enjoy the experience, even though I find the stories and themes really fascinating.

LPers like you who can steer through the game and provide analysis and background on it without the crutch of lovely gimmicks are wonderful. I'm sure I'm not the only case of mild brokebrain who only gets to vicariously enjoy these weird rear end games because of you.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:same:

I usually don't have much to say besides that I enjoy your efforts. You've got a soothing style, which isn't something I'd generally associate with horror games. For the most part I find that I can't play horror genre games; I get way too anxious to enjoy the experience, even though I find the stories and themes really fascinating.

LPers like you who can steer through the game and provide analysis and background on it without the crutch of lovely gimmicks are wonderful. I'm sure I'm not the only case of mild brokebrain who only gets to vicariously enjoy these weird rear end games because of you.

Oh no. Especially not console games. He showed me the joys of Fatal Frame.

Or, rather, someone else COMPLETELY not a Discworld reader...

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

To tide everyone over for the weekend (and because the next chapter is a bit on the lean side), I decided to go ahead and do the next update. And it certainly is a strange way to further the plot...

But yeah, it's nice to hear people enjoyed Koudelka; I was sincerely worried that doing a solo LP of a turn based RPG wouldn't go well but it worked out. Now the question is if I want to do something dumb and spooky for a Halloween special; not to say that Alone in the Dark isn't scary but it's a special time of year.

Samizdata posted:

I will have to check it out. Baldurk is doing God's work, BTW.

Wow, I have ZERO context on Azure Horizon.

EDIT: Lovely LP, BTW. And ALWAYS feel free to show me the way to cheese bosses. Only way to go, IMO.
I could probably try a bonus video to see if there'd be a way to cheese that fight...especially since there seems to be a way to somehow light that blood trail on fire and not try to stick a loving timed molotov to that rat. I have no idea how that works though.

And ummmm long story short regarding Azure Horizon. He did quite a few RPG lp's and then I guess he decided to brag about getting his male friends drunk and seeing if he could get straight drunk guys to have sex with him? I guess he justified it as being alright cause they were his friends and not rando's...but yeah, it was skeezy all around. Trainwrecks like that get my attention and it's good to remember the good and bad that comes with the forums.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

To tide everyone over for the weekend (and because the next chapter is a bit on the lean side), I decided to go ahead and do the next update. And it certainly is a strange way to further the plot...

But yeah, it's nice to hear people enjoyed Koudelka; I was sincerely worried that doing a solo LP of a turn based RPG wouldn't go well but it worked out. Now the question is if I want to do something dumb and spooky for a Halloween special; not to say that Alone in the Dark isn't scary but it's a special time of year.

I could probably try a bonus video to see if there'd be a way to cheese that fight...especially since there seems to be a way to somehow light that blood trail on fire and not try to stick a loving timed molotov to that rat. I have no idea how that works though.

And ummmm long story short regarding Azure Horizon. He did quite a few RPG lp's and then I guess he decided to brag about getting his male friends drunk and seeing if he could get straight drunk guys to have sex with him? I guess he justified it as being alright cause they were his friends and not rando's...but yeah, it was skeezy all around. Trainwrecks like that get my attention and it's good to remember the good and bad that comes with the forums.

Cheers for the video, and very reserved cheers on the clarification. The more I hear nowadays, the more I am surprised I have lived a life with ZERO nonconsensual encounters nor a single attempt.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The new jam from MC Sarah: Theo Said Knock You Down

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie

The cinematic at the end of this video kicks a lot of rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

[

I just figured out how to do this and it makes the puzzle make so much more sense than the timing solution I've seen in every FAQ/walkthrough. It also makes me wish more than ever that you didn't have to share inventory slots between normal & key items.
Actual intended solution to the puzzle : combine plastic bottle + tape, then use the knife on the bottle(like lighting a molotov not combining in inventory) to poke a hole and then throw it at the rat thing, there is a knife in the kitchen if you need one.

• Locked thread