Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't remember too much of what 2008 gaming trends were like but its still a bit interesting to see so many of the things that every other action-y game has now (basic crafting, open world which adds nothing, side quests) and can do at least somewhat competently show up here and be so low rate. Now I'm wondering if we have Alone in the Dark to blame for every single overly simple crafting system and terrible over world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's boss fights like that which make me realize why QTE sequences as a final fight got really popular for a while.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well I'm sure there's got to be some kind of positive use for being able to use the lighter to explode a plastic bottle that has been taped to an enemy which is right in front of you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Every good idea this game has is brought back down by just how awkward everything is. It reminds me of an indie game with big ambitions but sub-par execution, Hydrophobia (AitD came out first though). Hydrophobia has some really impressive water physics and then decided it wanted to be a third person shooter, a score attack game, an action platformer, a puzzle game, and the first in a trilogy... all in a game that was 3 hours long. The developer even set up an in-game tool to submit bug reports or suggestions. It was all for naught though because there just wasn't enough talent there.

But I can't hate Hydrophobia and I can't hate Alone in the Dark because damnit, the effort is at least on display.

coleman francis posted:

Seeing as all the monsters are weak to fire, I wonder what hell in this universe looks like. A frozen wasteland? Or endless dark alien tunnels ALA Realms of the Haunting.

Given the aversion to light, the black goo, and all the references to the Lightbringer I'd bet on dark and damp.

• Locked thread