Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

Persona 5 is great but you should play 3 and 4 first because they are also great and you'll miss the stuff the later games add if you go through them backwards.

I respect your opinion on playing series but for me i'd just play the player friendliest one first and not get anal about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah but not everyone wants to play 140 hrs of jrpgs before playing the one that everyone is talking about this year.

If someone really loves p5 they will probably enjoy checking out older games anyway. Like maybe your brain has you in a prison

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 1, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I mean, in the case of Persona, it's not so much about appreciating the changes, it's more about being distracted by lacking features. Like if you play them forward, you won't really notice anything wrong but if you play them backwards, all the way things have been streamlined will now stick out be make the game worse than it would otherwise be. It's not about making the later games better but more about making the older games seem better. It helps that the older games are usually way cheaper than the new one.

Unrelated, FINALLY done with Gravity Rush 2 and I'll never post about it again if you don't want me to but here are some final thoughts:

GR2 is aggravating because it has so much going tor it but has such constant and major easily avoidable flaws, that I spent have my time just not having a good time. The main problem, over everything else, is the combat SUCKS. Like, never at any point in the game is it fun at all. In the original it was simplistic and kinda bad but it didn't really get in the way that often. In this it's just constant and terrible. Like the controls never feel any good. Ground combat is the only version you have full control of and that's just mashing square with occasional dodge. Most of the time you can't use ground combat though because enemies are mostly in the air (and it doesn't help that enemies take like 10 times as long to kill with ground combat). I like the flying in this game but it is not precise and air combat expects you to constantly reorients yourself towards constantly moving enemies and it just doesn't work. Your air kicks have lock ons but they miss so often. There's nothing more enraging than losing a fight because you kicked towards a stationary enemy and then, despite the enemy not even moving, you just sail right past him. It doesn't help that enemies seem to attack you with cheap, hard to avoid shots all the time and will sometimes combo knock you over, making it hard to even move. You can also throw stuff at them but if it actually hits them is a crap shoot and it's always hard to tell what can be picked up and what can't.

The bosses are the worst part. None of them are any fun at all. It's just cheap hits, flying around spastically hoping anything will hit. Their life often drains far to slow and it all just feels wonky as gently caress.

New to the game are different styles and this just means rather than having one kind of iffy control scheme, you now have three. The normal one is like it was in the original, there's a floaty one that is WAY too floaty and moving an inch can send you like ten feet. Also it's attacks kind of suck (but it requires you to use it sometimes). There's also a heavy style that sometimes seems to make you move when you don't want to and just generally feels kind of ungainly.

The other major problem with the game is the missions. Once in a while you'll have something fun but more often than not the game just sends you from checkpoint to checkpoint, sometimes waiting a really long time to actually tell you where it wants you to go or, even worse, it will only give you a general area and expect you to find something though it often doesn't even make clear what you're even looking for. This leads to so much time just aimlessly wandering around just hoping that you somehow wander where the game wants you to go or the game will take pity on you and just tell you (which sometimes it never does). There are some more straightforward missions and these are mostly fine but way too much is the wandering around type.

Despite everything, I like this game. It's a bad game but I still can't resist it's charms. The best thing about it is it's presentation. The world is beautiful and it's fun to fly around. The music is great and the characters are charming. Even this isn't without flaws. The story seems to rush from plot point to plot point, just assuming characters are getting to know each other and form connections. So much happens in this games story. There are like three anime seasons in this thing and it just seems to want to get through it as quickly as possible.

Kat is a really likable character but the plot is odd in that everyone in the game is mostly awful to her, they constantly take advantage of her kindness and people seem to make an odd point to constantly tell Kat she's ugly. This all feels, at best, like an odd direction to take it and at worst like a planned way to endear Kat to the player by making it feel like you are the only one on her side.

Still, while I couldn't recommend this game to anyone, I still sort of enjoyed it and even liked the ending even if it seemed like they were going through a checklist of every anime game ending trope they could think of, even if the game hadn't built up to it that well.

Oh well, at least the one actually has an ending and it being this way makes it so I'm mostly fine with never getting another one.

tl;dr: Gravity Rush 2 gets a 6/10...maybe a 6.5

Yeah

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I always play a series in chronological order

Proud of ya

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

All that being said, my next game will probably be Tales of Berseria despite never having played a Tales game before so maybe I'm just a huge hypocrite

There are so many bad tales games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I really dig roman egypt as a setting but im not a huge idiot who pays for asscreed games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Watchdougs is a cyber rear end creed but it is also homogenized pap im not generally bored enough to lower myself to play

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its dead. Get tekken or :getout:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gamebpy tetris

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hows that hoodie stay zipped with a huge medallion on the zipper

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Eternal Darkness was so good. One of the rare examples where getting stuck in development hell actually resulted in a better and more cohesive product.

Its really bad tho

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Looper posted:

it's not on pc

The extra dollop of nerd rage that completes the dish

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

al-azad posted:

He died of a heart attack ack ack ack ack?

Wait which one was Tom Petty?

Front man of the heartbreakers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nex machina is godlike. Pure bliss. Ruiner banks on style too hard.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When does ew2 come out? Next week?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Howard the duck taught me to fear

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“ufarn”" post="“477093680”"]
I know, but I thought I’d try giving a not-Steam a chance, especially since MS are doubling down on the Win10 games.
[/quote]

:psyduck:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I gotta say this machine fight in metroid is not fun on 3ds controls

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“Radioactive Toy”" post="“477151484”"]
Patiently awaiting my Ruiner refund to come through so I can pick up Cuphead tonight. Only WITHIN 6 HOURS remaining. Ruiner seemed like my jam but I just wasn’t feeling it right now.
[/quote]

Turns out stylish games are better at hype than gameplay. Skip cuphead and just play contra or treasure's astroboy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Walk like an egyptian is cool but also a downgrade

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“chumbler”" post="“477156624”"]
In Japan it’s called Super Mario Bros 2.
[/quote]

Super mario bros usa

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

chumbler posted:

What if I prefer dumb guys making fun of the funniest game?

Goant bombs deadly premonition

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I beat the metroid robot. Tooka while cause circle pad is bad but at least it was a unique encounter for a game with painfully bad enemy variety

Gonna finish the game soon but right now i think its a really weak metroid game. And a really uncomfortable game to play in general

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“Looper”" post="“477165583”"]
The 3DS is uncomfortable in general
[/quote]

Sure.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“Olive!”" post="“477165611”"]
I’m so glad we’re getting another console Monster Hunter.
[/quote]

Yeah

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“Internet Kraken”" post="“477179546”"]
is Zoe Quinn the game journalist/dev/whatever that got blasted by the false controversy created by those gamergate idiots?
[/quote]

Google says so

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“chumbler”" post="“477179819”"]
She also made a game about depression and feelings.
[/quote]

It was made with like a cyoa website template iirc and that drove crazy people insane about real games lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dont play xenoblade on 3ds is so ugly you cant see poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“exquisite tea”" post="“477188889”"]
There are very few long-form game analysis videos out there that are actually worthy of the term. I think the Joseph Anderson guy is pretty okay. Game Theory is just mostly pathetic meandering with obnoxious clipart insert cuts every half second.
[/quote]

The good ones i know are

Errant signal
Joeseph anderson
Noah gervais
Bunnyhop
Mark brown
Hbomb

I never watch any of their poo poo anymore really cause im taking care of dis baby but they're good at reflecting on poo poo and focus on stuff that isnt just the new thing to get views

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Under Night In Birth EXE Late[st]

English version wait is killing me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

homeless snail posted:

I can't believe it, the second f word...

Fanny

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“homeless snail”" post="“477195726”"]
battlefront 2 is a lot better than the first one I guess... but the microtransactions are Incredibly Yikes
[/quote]

Nah its the same bad poo poo but with space battles now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“homeless snail”" post="“477195809”"]
nah, mechanically it is way different
[/quote]

But who cares there will be a new one in two years and then two years after that and they will all be worse than the originals

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Like its still a bad shooter only now you gotta kill streak to be a jedi oooooooooo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“CharlieFoxtrot”" post="“477197024”"]
The space battle stuff looks nice.

Also the actress playing the protagonist in the story mode hung out with the Giant Bomb crew and seemed pretty cool
[/quote]

It looks great indeed cause thats what dice do but its just an arcadey shallow thing designed for using power up gambling cards

If it were 64 player xwing vs tie fighter it would be worth the hype

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

He has a good point in most videos but he harps on the same thing so much it makes me not care.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

When did all this inflation talk start happening anyway, I feel like out of nowhere it suddenly became a talking point. Was there a catalyst for this, a news article or something a developer did, or am I just unaware (always a possibility) enough to have not noticed the subject until now?

Unrelated: this skylander released back on the first of this month. I like how he looks, he looks cool.

His name is Ro-Bow

because of course his name is Ro-Mother-Fuckin-Bow

I found this gif while grabbing those pics.

It comes from us old people talking about paying 90 dollars at sears for mario 2

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gamings dying cloud.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Poor swery. Probably would have made the money if the mc was more york-like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

an actual dog posted:

gaming is still good, because of nintendo