Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'm doing the illegal thing of posting in the October thread while it's still September!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Poops McBoos

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Radioactive Toy posted:

Due to my apparent game ADD in the last 7 days I ended up finishing Neir: Automata, Breath of the Wild, and Dishonored 2. Probably going to pick up Ruiner to run through before I take on something big again. My current thoughts for next game are:

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age - I picked up the original release when it came out and never really played much of it. I already own this.
Persona 5 - Never played a Persona game before but I'm really liking the style I've seen from this game. Would have to purchase this one.
Red Dead Redemption - Friend let me borrow it years and years ago and I think I started it 2 or 3 times but never stuck with it. Would be nice to play through this before the sequel next year.

Not sure what to go for.

Play FFXII and livepost it so I can live vicariously through you since I have basically the same history with the game as you do.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I didn't know that Heat Signature was from the Gunpoint guys, but once I learned that I instantly bought it.

Gunpoint is really good, y'all.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I heard the Homestuck game turned out pretty okay

Is that by Actual Standards or Homestuck Fandom Standards?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

wow Assassin's Creed comes out the same loving day as Wolfenstein and Mario? This is practically assisted suicide

You're right. Mario doesn't stand a chance. :v:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Regarding the whole "list things you love that others hate!" thing, it's so much easier for me to think of things I don't like that other people do like. It's probably not a good thing so I'm going to think about that tonight as I lie in bed

You should think instead about heat signature and how it's extremely good.

Like the other day, when the slipstream I used wore off and I wound up running full bore through a plate glass window into space.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

How much of a roguelike is Heat signature?

It's actually not much of one considering the difficulty can be forgiving and any death doesn't actually make you lose a whole lot. At the same time, it follows design queues from roguelikes with permadeath and a large part of the fun coming from figuring out clever uses of the items you've found to overcome more powerful and numerous enemies.

I guess that doesn't help much, so my best advice is to watch some gameplay.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

High-five broken avatar buddy :hf:

Edit: It pays to refresh threads, folks!

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

persona 3... i think we're actually seriously through this time.

i have been told over and over for many years that the persona/smt series is the intelligent player's game, use status effects and exploit weaknesses to gain the upper hand in a losing battle. but now i'm at sleeping table, and it's immune to status effects, and has no weaknesses. the strategy is literally just "outheal its damage with mediarama." which i can do, i'm just not willing to put up with this idiocy.

Persona 3 is probably the weakest gameplay-wise out of those games, especially if you aren't playing P3P/FES.

Alternatively, debuff the table and buff yourself.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Olive! posted:

How are they bad games if they're fun to play? That's the point of a game.

Agents of Mayhem really should've had Co op.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

I wish Nier didn't have a hubworld and just did something like Bayonetta did, getting me to events faster. The amount of time wasted running around such an empty and useless space soured me.

Fallout 3/4 are some of the best worst games ever created.

I think the time spent running through these beautiful but ultimately empty locations is part of the story Yoko Taro wanted to tell.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Persona, but it's a gacha to summon demons for fusing.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Isn't voice acting actually one of the biggest monkey sinks in triple AAA games? I seem to recall reading that once. Having professional voice actors read even a few lines costs a hefty sum.

Hey gamedevs, I'm perfectly okay with Phoenix wright bloops. Especially if it means more games.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I think I would actually like the witcher 3 a lot more (and may even finish it!) if it was a telltale-style cyoa game so I could appreciate the writing without having to sit through very dry combat.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I would show that person Heat Signature. Just hand them the controller with a concussion hammer and tell them to hit people through windows.

More serious answer though is probably the cliche answer of Spec Ops: The Line, if only cause it's the first game to come to my mind that can quickly demonstrate that games allowing for the player's participation changes or at least influences how the story is experienced. I'm sure there are other games that do it better, but the only ones I can think of would be massively long RPGs or visual novels, which are basically picture books.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

The ending of Black Ops 2 is more arty than anything in Bioshock

Checks out. BlOps 2 ends with a concert, and music is definitely art.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I am a huge fan of Johnny Aces. That whole thread and saga had me in stitches and still does. I always appreciate seeing a reference to it somewhere! I think if I did develop video games myself then I would totally put references all over the place, even if it were things that only I would understand. I certainly do so in my writing!

Oh hi Koji Fox, I like your work on FFXIV.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Now that Sony is gonna be publishing games on the Switch (under a different name) are we reaching the singularity where all games come from one company?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I liked TNO a lot more than new Doom.

:same:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I abbreviate it as KBaM because it's fun to say out loud.

Edit: wow, that's what I get for not refreshing while playing fire emblem warriors

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I played doki doki literature club late last night after someone in here mentioned it and it hosed up my sleep cause I'm a big baby lmao

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Looper posted:

Well Fire Emblem Warriors is apparently pretty good

It's

Well, aside from some small issues I have. I'd still recommend it for someone wanting to try out warriors games though, alongside Hyrule warriors and pirate warriors 3.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

In Training posted:

Idk I think a new Mario game is a huge deal. It only happens like once a console generation

It is a big deal. It just won't sell as well as the latest Ubisoft release.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

In Training posted:

Super Mario 3D world sold better than Syndicate and that's on the Wii U VS all platforms that AC has. Although those numbers could be complete BS I never know where sites get their sources on that from

Edit I meant Unity not Syndicate. I don't know how much Syndicate sold

This is from VGChartz so these numbers were probably pulled out of someone's rear end, but:

vs

And that's with two extra years of sales for Super Mario 3D World.

Edit: it looks like Nintendo's own investor relations page states 5.65 million sales for 3D World, but that's still not much of a lead over the VGChartz estimate even with a two year lead.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 24, 2017

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

i think it's good. what's wrong with it?

My problem is it's not on sale yet and I still haven't beaten AC:Syndicate.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

So what’s GotM?

Other than the here that came out in the past few days, what other major releases have there been? I can’t remember

Destiny 2 (Windows)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

precision posted:

what game/character popularized the term "murder hobo"? was it TLoU or is that just the pinnacle of the type?

Murderhobo seemed to be a term for pen and paper rpg characters long before TLoU.

• Locked thread