Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Internet Kraken posted:

lmao that Cuphead was an Xbone exclusive for only about 2 days. That's pathetic.

the xbox one basically doesn't have exclusives anymore (except halo and sunset overdrive i guess?) and i think any timed exclusives last about that long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've heard persona 5 has issues but not that they're particularly any worse than persona 4, and people glance over a lot of the issues with that game. it's probably fine if it's the only one that grabs your eye

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
red dead is a fun cowboy game but remembering any of the missions makes me never want to replay it out of pure apathy

lots of dull waiting for stuff and riding around on a horse while people talk and i don't really care for the story

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you can play the souls games in any order because demon's souls is ancient and it's still one of the best ones

also persona 3 is pretty good and i like persona 4 but there's no reason to play them if someone just wants to play 5 cause they aren't really must-plays and the stuff attracting someone to persona 5 could very easily not be present in 3 or 4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
play the games that you have interest in playing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wasn't liking saga 2 much so i decided to give frontier a try and it turns out it's way more badass

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
velvet isn't really pissed off at "anime bullshit" or whatever she's just super hosed up and angry because she's basically had her entire life ruined by a dude she had a really weird family relationship with who is now the messiah of the world

lots of crazy poo poo happens in berseria and she develops to be friendlier to people but she never stops wanting to murder the poo poo out of the dude all the way to the very end

also there's not really anything wrong with playing berseria before other games because most are just kind of different rather than strictly better or worse, they change the combat system a lot. you'll only have trouble if you try to play like, vesperia, legendia or anything older than symphonia, cause the combat in those is just really awkward iterations on each other and abyss is the one that does that system best, and legendia is just a weird-rear end game that runs at like 20fps. also zestiria obviously but that's a weird case where the combat is actually just an earlier game (graces f) done way worse

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 1, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of phantasia is pretty cool on psp and has lots of funny skits, unfortunately in every other version of it half the game is spent watching spell animations

glam rock hamhock posted:

Well my impression want that she was angry at anime bullshit, just that anime bullshit keeps trying to happen and she has no time for it over killing people.

that's not really true either but whatever

berseria has plenty of goofy stuff but its paced away from the big serious moments

e; though i guess velvet does constantly act annoyed at people for goofing off during them

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this october i will actually finish a playthrough of silent hill

maybe even a castlevania or two

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
understood, i'll buy silent hill: homecoming

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only time you should play multiple 70 hour long jrpgs before the newest one is if you're jumping into the newest arc of the trails series

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway there are lots of badass tales of games and i recommend diving into them because even most of the weaker ones have some really fun aspects tying them together, there are like two tales games that i can think of that are not really worth playing in any form

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
motherfucker there is a persona 2 reference in persona 3, and also a persona 1 reference in persona 2, you can't forget the most important parts of the play order

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

precision posted:

Luck as a stat in RPGs needs to be shown the door and told never to come back

luck is badass in old fallout games because it lets you create runs where everyone around you is loving up constantly and the only skill you have is loving up slightly less

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
silent hill 2 combat is pretty easy regardless

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
okami is going to be on pc in two months, making it perfect

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've figured out what everyone has to play this october

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's why i posted it lol

honestly though mr. bones probably isn't worth like, playing, but watch a playthrough at least because holy poo poo not only are the cutscenes all loving amazing even in context but the gameplay is such a bizarre mess, in a way that actually rules because it starts off really standard and gets increasingly more experimental and confusing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
while the later episodes in doom 1 are a bit more middling than episode 1, they're still better than the later episodes of duke 3d

anyway i can't really pick a single perfect game but i guess i'd say games like zero mission, god hand, bayonetta, dmc4, resident evil 4, doom 2, quake and tales of berseria are up there. if i had to pick one i guess i'd honestly say rayman origins, it still holds up as maybe the best 2d platformer i've ever played

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 2, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the main relationship and a few of the scenes in life is strange but i didn't care for the overall plot

blowing off warren was funny

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm going to play dynamite headdy today

also in training did you know the next season of osomatsu just started

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

also between umaru and gamers, its the year of gaming anime

you're not even listing new game, the anime about people making a video game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

It would be cool if the Japanese version of Headdy could get rolled into an English release. There are a bunch of cosmetic changes that look cooler, like the cat is smiling and creepy as his head flops around.

i'm glad someone did a full translation of the japanese version cause the dialog is really funny and all the difficulty changes sound kinda rear end. having a level called "toyz n the hood" is amazing though

also i'm glad headdy will never get a remake cause bangai-o hd sucked rear end and treasure is dead

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it sucks that sin & punishment 2 is like the last thing treasure released before basically dying, and even around then it's kind of surprising how good it was for how much they'd dried up since the early ps2 era. you've got like six years of gently caress-all after that and they haven't done anything since the pc port of ikaruga

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
at this point i just want them to come back to rerelease guardian heroes and radiant silvergun on pc cause those games are hard as gently caress to emulate

i almost finished a route of guardian heroes on a saturn emulator once and then the game froze

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sin & punishment 1 is easy but it's also an older treasure game so it's insanely bizarre and inventive and every other minute it seamlessly shifts into you doing even more crazy poo poo so it's ok

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

Maybe one of these days I'll get further than the tower knight in Demon's Souls. It's keeping me from playing every other Souls game.

tower knight is badass as a really easy boss that i just barely scraped through after running out of resources and only just barely figuring out how to beat him

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wow, everything past 6-1 in dynamite headdy sure loves to hand your rear end to you

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

On the subject of games with rocky development coming out, A Hat in Time reviews are starting to trickle out and they're positive.

lol it'll own if a hat in time is a more inspired and fun game than yooka-laylee

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Get the Japanese ROM and the translation patch, Headdy was made much harder for its US release.

what version do you think i'm playing!!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i was getting the hang of funny angry and then i accidentally hit f2 instead of f1, which is badass cause it saved my state right in the middle of me dying so now i have to replay all of world 8 again

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol i'm glad the secret ending of dynamite headdy is just headdy beating the crap out of a greedy theater owner while dodging falling yen

that game owned, i'm glad genesis-era treasure existed

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 3, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like how god hand discourages lowering the difficulty by making grovel cost a point while taunting is free and lets you deal extra damage if you pull it off

precision posted:

2- Did that Rutger Hauer game end up being good?

it's mostly great but the ending sucks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a gameplay stream of a hat in time has pretty much totally turned around my expectations, it looks really fun and way more energetic than yooka-laylee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
volcanic dragon rear end land is a treasure

• Locked thread