Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Persona 5 is way, waaaayyyyy better than FF12. Like it's not even close IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Graces F had a really fun combat system. I like how it communicated Asbel's strong desire to spin around as a disco man.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If anything Berseria feels very traditionally Tales to me. Taken loosely, it doesn't even have a plot that different than Phantasia's.

Berseria just does what it sets out to do really quite well, particularly with its cast.

The Colonel posted:

this october i will actually finish a playthrough of silent hill

maybe even a castlevania or two
Silent Hill 1 is cool and good and I love how it contrasts with Silent Hill 2.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even Martin Scorsese couldn't make Gangs of New York work- it's one of his worst films. I kind of doubt the Assassin's Creed people could do it well either.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Training posted:

My perfect game is Metal Gear Solid 3
MGS2 for me, probably.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Why have you turned into a bird in this story

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

glam rock hamhock posted:

To ask the thread a similar question: are there any pays of a game you love that other people seem to hate?
I wouldn't say I necessarily love this aspect but I liked the combat in the original Nier well enough.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really like how rainy and wet the Fishing Hamlet is. Makes it kind of relaxing to run through.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I have a question for you guys who know all the kirby facts...

Just what makes Meta Knight so meta????

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The worst run like that was Frigid Outskirts in Dark Souls 2.

Even if you managed to despawn all of the enemies it was still like a legit five minute run from where you spawn to the actual boss room.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

oddium posted:

there's a point and click blade runner game where who's a replicant is randomized and it's good
That sounds cool. Is the game itself good?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I liked the lizard boss in SH1 because it contextualizes Harry Mason as a fairy tale heroic knight fighting a dragon to ultimately rescue a princess from a castle.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Silent Hill 1 is incredibly easy too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I will say I didn't find some of SH1's controls super intuitive though.

Like that game actually has a Resident Evil 3 style quick turn but I didn't know until I was almost done with it. Or decently far in at any rate.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 4, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I mean I slept through SH1 bosses too except for the lizard one, and I only died there once or twice because of how damaging him actually worked.

Like I don't think anyone is saying that mechanically SH bosses are good or that the combat in general is even good- it's all about atmosphere/characters/story for me. I also only played SH1 and SH2 for the first time last year fwiw.

If the games aren't your jam though then that's cool too.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 4, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Colonel posted:

i don't think i've seen someone talk about watching sausage party without expressing some sort of regret that they watched sausage party
I knew a guy that watched it like twice.

We're not in contact anymore.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Please don't
I read this in Jeb Bush's voice

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Akuma is deceitful and a liar. His name would have you believe he is some kind of a bear but clearly he's just a guy.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Anor Londo archers are probably my favorite brick wall in the series. Like yeah its frustrating and feels like bullshit the first time through, but drat has it never felt as good to light a bonfire as it did after you've gotten across that ledge.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

al-azad posted:

In my ill fated quest to beat every Zelda I'm playing Four Swords solo. I think I'll also finish Resi7 but I just reached the caves which everyone says is butt.
If you're at the caves you're like 25 minutes away from the end of RE7.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You can do it al-azad! I believe in you! Power on through it!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm playing Evil Within, trying to run through it before the sequel drops.

I feel like I could have guessed Mikami made it because it really does feel like he tried to squish REmake and RE4 together.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I have to say that Evil Within feels a bit rougher than I was expecting from the guy who directed RE4, even with warnings going into it that it was a flawed game.

Is there any reason to ever be punching things in this game? Or are we back to original RE1 knife levels for melee?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CJacobs posted:

You only should be relying on melee if you're totally out of ammo, and even then you'll wanna upgrade it a little first. There's a reason melee upgrades are so cheap though, you can kill enemies in like 2 or 3 swings when it's maxed out. But I only really recommend doing it if you're not that great of a shot.
Hmm alright. I might pump some cash into it then.

I thought I was supposed to have been relying on it more since I was having some trouble in the first two chapters, but having finished 4 now I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I gotta be honest I didn't get why people were so into Journey. I didn't hate the game but it felt like a very disposable experience to me, like McDonalds food or something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Sun is the ultimate enemy of the Earth. Even as we speak it plans to one day explode, taking us along with itself...

This cannot be allowed to happen, so we must act quickly and destroy it forever before it can strike.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I dunno that I think its better than the first film, but drat 2049 was a good watch and I can't wait to revisit it.

Between that and Twin Peaks, 2017 was a strong year for franchise revivals.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I ordered Bladerunner: Final Cut from the library this weekend and I'm gonna try to watch it this week, see what all of the hype is about! I'm sick and have a sore throat, too, so an even better excuse to stay in and chill out and watch movies.
You can't go wrong with any of the cuts but I think I liked the theatrical a little more fwiw.

If you end up liking Blade Runner, I recommend picking up the blu ray that has all of the different versions of the movie. It's fun to compare and contrast them.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like how Kingdom Hearts II's three hour intro says "Nobodies have emotions and are people" and the entire rest of the game is Sora and his Disney friends systemically hunting down and killing Nobodies because they don't have emotions and therefore must not actually be people.

I mean that unironically. It's a weirdass game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kingdom Hearts II is the game that establishes they had emotions the whole time. The 3DS game just spells it out.

Also

Sakurazuka posted:

They're good actually

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

A Roger Rabbit world in Kingdom Hearts 3 where the thematic plot for the level is whether or not Toon hearts are real.
If a guy dressed as a wizard and spoke in a deep enough baritone told him to, Sora would totally team up with Judge Doom and melt that shoe guy in acid.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

KH1: Keyblades are very important, only those with great hearts and great power can wield one, there aren't a lot of people around capable of wielding the keyblade
KH3: Everyone gets a keyblade

:v:
These things aren't contradictory?

Like even in KH1 there are multiple different characters running around onscreen with the darn things by the end of the game.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 9, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Nowhere near as silly as it gets later on imo.
So let me understand your position here- when there were only five keyblades in KH1 you were cool with it, but as soon as number six popped up on screen in a later game you raised an eyebrow.

Idk man it seems like from the beginning the point was that it wasn't Thor's Hammer or whatever, that only more and more would continue to pop up.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In general that BbS boils down to "Leonard Nimoy wants Mark Hamill loving dead" is the best.

raditts posted:

I haven't played FF15 and don't really give a poo poo about the series anymore but a musical probably would have brought me back
IIRC they actually did do a series of musical themed Final Fantasy games, though I never played any of them myself.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Silent Hill 2 is good and I hope you enjoy it.

Oh yeah so I've been playing The Evil Within some more and I'm at the RE1 Mansion for some reason.

Uh why is there a ghost that seems to randomly spawn and insta-kill me if he touches me? It's not even the insta-kill that bothers me so much as having to randomly stop exploring so I can run around enough to despawn him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

al-azad posted:

There is no reason for anything in TEW. The whole setup is to throw you in ridiculous horror scenarios.

Anyway he only spawns once per wing so when the screen flashes duck in the nearest cupboard. This is the only level this guy appears like this.

And a little tip, the next chapter is super long and hard. There's a chase sequence with an old enemy and while they can be killed you shouldn't bother.
...Oh yeah, you can hide in stuff in this game, can't you. Well I'll just do that then.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. The HD version of Silent Hill 2 was advertised as being "Brought up to speed with modern games"-graphics wise and ended up showing off things we were never meant to be shown, like the stanky lake water.

It's like how in the 360 generation a bunch of 2D game ports/revisions were advertised as getting all new graphics that would be definitive way to play them and they'd end up looking worse by looking better.

Sometimes you need a fuzzy CRT.
Yeah those games were made with those limitations in mind. They're worked into the aesthetic.

It's like when people try to colorize an old black and white film. The lack of color wasn't somehow a mistake on the filmmaker's part.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chumbler posted:

Take a dick pic to summon Mara or whatever that one was called.
It would be hilarious to see some of these congressmen that get in trouble for sexting try and use it as an excuse.

"I wasn't sending that girl pictures, I was just trying to summon a demon! Honest!"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

tap my mountain posted:

Ah yes, the Kurt Eichenwald defense
That man is an American hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

homeless snail posted:

its relative to the year it came out, like mgs is photorealistic by 1998 standards
Your point is valid but I think even MGS1 is fairly stylized and atmospheric- arguably moreso than any of the later games.

The faces on the 3D models look pretty bad now though, but oh well it was the PS1.

• Locked thread