Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I'm VideoGhosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

I can't believe that mods were complicit in this illegal jumping the gun

This is entirely my fault. I woke up with my calendar wrong and got confused!! Apologies september lovers!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello chat thread! As it is now October, I can ask my question that I really hope to hear your answers to.

What is your perfect game, and why?

Not favourite game, but perfect game. (Unless your favourite is perfect!).

Mine is Portal2.
Everything about it is made for me. The game is my level of difficult, my level of engaging storyline and humour. I love the way the tale unfolds and how much of it does. I love that is treats me intelligently. I love the voice acting (Stephen Merchant is inspired and one of my favourite comedians) and feel it is pitch perfectly delivered. I love the structure of the story and the end and I just cannot stop loving on it. I love the music!

I thought the first portal was fine. Not astounding, but great fun and a nice little diversion.

Portal2 sang to me as someone who enjoys video games. It just causes me to gush. I've even sent gushing emails to some of the people who worked on it!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

I can find flaws in every single one of those "perfect" games :smuggo:

That's why I stated 'your' perfect game :smuggerfacething:

I know full well there will be lots of differing thoughts, but I am exceptionally interested in each person's view because their experience will be different to mine :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The Colonel posted:

i've figured out what everyone has to play this october

That looks like a wild ride!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Ringo can beat me! I cannot win a game on Puyo Puyo Tetris. That game is so hard!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have really loved seeing so many replies.

I have to say a lot of people's choices are really good games that I enjoy playing too, so it is good to know that I'm not so skewed as I had thought! :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I still have all four CDs of that game in the original double wide jewel case :D . What fun that game was!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am really, really happy to hear that I was wrong about Cuphead. From the trailer and previews, I thought it would be gorgeous to look at but bad to play. All the people I know who have it (and the thread here in Games) has lead me to believe otherwise and that makes me excited :D

Those visuals are practically art!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello my lovely games thread!

This weekend I saw Bladerunner 2049. The original was my third favourite film of all time and now, thanks to that incredible film, Bladerunner 2049 is now my third favourite film of all time. Goodness it was a great weekend!

I also played a little Crypt of the Necrodancer, Picross S and Golf Story! All in all a very nice and relaxing weekend :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/Blerkotron/status/916687080297820160

I just saw this on twitter and was reminded of you, VideoGames!

Haha! That is truly wonderful! I was so worried too, then all the media saying how good it was and I thought I was living in some strange dream and it turned out they were all right :D

I do have the final cut blu-ray, as well as that special DVD edition with all the different versions and a bonus disc (dangerous days) and all that jazz. I've never gotten tired of watching Bladerunner. It was hugely influential to my own creative hobby. I wasn't expecting to like 2049 as much as I do so it was a massively welcome surprise!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I absolutely agree that it doesn't matter if Deckard is or isn't a replicant. That's not what we are trying to question and that is why I love it. I love stories that examine what we call humanity. It's such an interesting and intriguing concept.

Are there games that go into this sort of thing? (I did play the original Bladerunner game all those years ago, and that was a ride!)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have been meaning to play Nier Automata for ages, ever since the demo. It just got bumped all the way up the list, thank you. Witcher 3 I am waiting until I have the time to dedicate to it. I feel like it might be one of those games that requires my undivided attention and I do not want to disservice it.

As for that LOCALHOST page, I will be giving that a trial later today :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I LOVE The Thing.

Probably 6th favourite movie of all time!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

Video games could learn a thing or two about editing

Dang it! I try my best!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Reality Winner posted:

Does anyone want to make a new Witcher thread? The last one got radiumed.

Leave it to me!
I've been reading the first page and it looks like there is a ton of stuff in it and I will get it working again.

(I was reading the first page because I am constantly tempted to play it but worried about how much time it will consume. Silly worries I know but!)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Man do I love video gaming. Later on I am going to play Until Dawn because it is said to be spooky and that works for October. Plus I saw an option that it will record me during scary moments and that sounds like a tremendously funny outcome! :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Until Dawn is also really fun to play with a spouse or loved one to help make choices. Don't try too hard to keep people alive because it's more fun when slutty teens get the axe.

Lady Videogames is utterly terrified of horror media and will not watch those sorts of films or play those sorts of games, so I will have to go it alone! :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Everyone talking so much about Witcher 3 made me say: "OKAY THEN! I will start it!".

Like I said, I was worried about really getting into it because a lot of the people here say it took about 150 hours to play through the game and I am very slow at games. I took 75 hours to beat Horizon Zero Dawn and I only finished 62% of the game according to the little counter thingy. I'm not sure why I was so worried, maybe a little overwhelmed is all.

So I started it and have played just over three hours.

Good grief. Everyone was correct. I have been wandering around White Orchard, played a gwent game and have finished 1 quest: The dwarf blacksmith one.

It is beautiful and absorbing and engaging. The voice acting has been stellar so far and I am liking talking to so many random people. Reading the notice board is really great and I've taken everything off it multiple times. I thought the map was huge, then realised I wasn't actually looking at the world map!! I have no knowledge of the story lines of Witcher 1 and 2 but that hasn't been much of a barrier so far!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Will more cities pop up on the big map? Or is it only the five things I can see currently. I think my mind would explode if there were more still to be revealed.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Palpek posted:

As people are saying - you haven't gotten to the open world yet. White Orchard is the starting gated area where you're learning the systems, things will open up way more. Those towns you're visiting now are only a little taste - there are giant cities ahead, probably the biggest ones in any Western RPG to date. Knowing you, you'll probably get a heart attack when you see how Blood and Wine looks but that's way ahead.

I am filled with a mix of trepidation and wonder at the thought. This is going to consume my gaming time, I feel. Oh well! Thank goodness I have the GOTY edition :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CJacobs posted:

What happened to your ideo ames

I have been trying something slightly different. I am not sure why but I get a restless with avatars and online descriptors. It is a bizarre thing! (Though I did enjoy when I was called KirbySuperscare and I had that avatar of Bayonneta's legs attached to Kirby!)

goferchan posted:

There are two main world maps, Velen (which contains a HUGE city that's very dense and basically treated like a map of its own) and Skellige. If you're still in White Orchard hunting the gryphon you haven't even seen the real open world part of the game yet.

edit: oh yeah and then you have a third map with the DLC that's probably bigger and more full of poo poo to do than either of the ones in the main game lol. Have fun. Witcher 3 is loving huge

Also: goodness!! I thought Horizon was pretty large!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am a huge fan of Johnny Aces. That whole thread and saga had me in stitches and still does. I always appreciate seeing a reference to it somewhere! I think if I did develop video games myself then I would totally put references all over the place, even if it were things that only I would understand. I certainly do so in my writing!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

VideoGames, would you like to team up and we can try to make video games together and then give up together before we even start :v:

Yes! In fact here is our logo:

We had a good run at FirstVideo! Such wonderful games made as:
"A Call To Civilians (4x City Building SIM in Space)"
"The Six Chambers (Western RPG where you play a cowboy afraid of horses)"
and
"HatMachine (A game where you play one of two warring haberdashers eking out control of a trendy London street.)"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I get to play Witcher 3 tonight and I am excited as all heck! :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I like playing video games. I think all of these different editions and lootboxes and things which cause ire in consumers will probably lead to another video game crash, but I cannot be certain. It is just a gut feeling.

Also I think Wolfenstein is fun and have no problem with their campaign because it is humorous and relevant to the time we are living in.

I am also enjoy Star Trek Discovery and the Witcher 3 very very much!

Last night I was able to play for about forty minutes. I went from the blacksmith place in White Orchard up to the castle bit via way of the river. I met a lot of enemies and got a little more used to the combat. Talking to that guy in charge was awesome because most games would have made him a leader who was mean and wanted only money. When he said "I'm not an excellency, see my calluses" and then asked for only thirty bushels instead of the forty that the farmer panickingly offered, that made me smile and really appreciate the writing.

Then, when he schooled Geralt with the idioms line, I was delighted! :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I adore Horizon Zero Dawn. I was utterly blindsided by it. I had no idea what it was (as I am pretty bad about reading about games that have yet to be released) and took a chance. It is a top five of all time game for me.

I utterly love the fact that some people do not like it. I am massively intrigued why and it then causes me to day dream about the differences in people and how experiences shape what we do and do not like. It is an interesting topic to me! :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Have you played a lot of similar games?

I honestly have not. I keep thinking what would be classed as games like Horizon, and all I can think of is the far cry series (of which I have completed number 3) the assassin's creed series (of which I have an hour in Syndicate only) and Breath of the Wild (which I am playing on and off).

Zaggitz posted:

That game creates the most hosed up despicable villain in recent fictional history and you don't get to do poo poo about him because hes been dead for millenia.

I actually think this adds leagues and leagues of depth to the story. For me it was truly heartbreaking. That old world was not anything Aloy could save, it was her current world that needed her. Goodness the Horizon story is one of my favourite stories in video game history!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Friends I beg of you to play games the way you wish to and not worry about how anyone else is playing. If you are all enjoying it at the end of the day then you have all won.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
11 hours later I have finally left White orchard after doing every single little question mark thingy around!
I am SO into this game! I have gotten the hang of the combat, gotten the hang of crafting and remember to use my little spells occasionally.

I did not bow to the emperor because I did not think Geralt would bow to a man that tried to kill him in the past (I think that is what some of the dialogue said). There is so much to read in those books in the castle and I really want to know all of what happened in the first two Witcher games! Hopefully I am not playing as slow as I feared I would. Did everyone else take that long to do White Orchard?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Last Night I completed Wolfenstein The New Order and it was absolutely fantastic. I adore BJ and Anya's relationship and thought it was a lovely bit of human interaction around all the inhuman action. I did get very sad at the ending before I remembered there was a sequel though!

Another good game I can tick off my list :D G4F4!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

does france like videogames

We have not really spoken before, but I have no issue with france.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oxford University was created before the Aztec Empire was

:aaa: I LOVE learning cool things like this! I like to remember facts that blow my mind and then think about them for a bit.

Like the fact we are closer to the birth of Cleopatra than her birth was to the creation of the pyramids. That the water on earth is older than the earth. That in the distance between the earth and the moon we could fit all the other planets. That there are more trees on earth than stars in the milkway galaxy :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Bubsy 1 and 2 are both games that I own on the megadrive and completed. Especially the full tour mode of Bubsy 2.
I quite enjoyed the digitised lines. One level was called "Queen of De Nile" Bubsy's digitised speech said "I am not!" and that did make young me laugh quite a bit.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

I felt like there was at least one more day of unlife left in your last av.

It was building up to this, the scary avatar! Kirby with bayonetta legs is terrifying :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

This may be worse...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
November is the month containing my birthday, so hopefully a title with something about the birth of great gaming!

• Locked thread