Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Saint Freak posted:

I've narrowed the field and I find myself left with two imperfect games.

Godhand problems:
Isn't Bloodborne

Bloodborne problems:
Isn't Godhand

Sadly it seems the only perfect game is one called Godbloodhandborne, which only exists in my brain.

Well now I'm just sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

glam rock hamhock posted:

To ask the thread a similar question: are there any pays of a game you love that other people seem to hate?

Like, for example, one of my favorite parts of Gunstar Heroes is the dice maze and I was really surprised to find out years later on the internet that people apparently hate that part and consider it a flaw in an otherwise perfect game.

people hate the dice maze? that's a paddlin'

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

don't you misappropriate my quotes on this subject mister

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do I have to have played The Stick of Truth to appreciate The Fractured but Whole

I've skipped on South Park for god knows how many years on account of being too easily offended by their nonsense (even if I'm laughing), and skipped the first game as a result, but this looks like a good game, and Path of Exile is starting to release its grip on me for a while

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 21, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the way i read that sentence it was the alien cat who wanted to take over the world but was a normal cool guy

i should bed

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

some guy on the bus posted:

Wow, look at Neogaf off-topic. Usually, no one dares say anything negative about Neogaf or the mods on the forum, because the slightest thing will be a permaban. Even a joke. No one cares anymore. That's all they're talking about.

So what did this end up being

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The older I get the more I detest open worlders and heavily branched RPGs and the like

I'll happily take the theme park over the sandbox any day of the week

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Those games have one thing in common for me, and it's that I've tried to play them and never successfully really had fun with any of them, going right back 25+ years of gaming I can remember

Same with Planescape Torment, to my eternal and undying shame because I'm told that the writing and everything related to said is 100% fantastic and good writing is something I dearly enjoy

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 22, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

fact that I just realized: the last RPG of any sort that I played through and enjoyed 100% of the time was Undertale, a game with virtually zero actual sidetracking

I guess I'd be the kind of guy who likes VNs. I wanted to take a look at that Literature Club game that's making the rounds, but one of the central conceits of that one is, uh... not safe for me to mull over (which is insanely frustrating btw)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

Is that conceit anime? If that's the conceit you're missing out on a lot of great stuff like the Phoenix Wright games which sound like you'd disappear into.

No, it's (spoiler starting at end of act 1 of DDLC, as I gather it) depictions of suicide. I wanted to play (read?) it to see if its depiction of depression is as accurate as I've heard, but I got to the art for that bit (which heavily implies that it was not a clean or painless hanging) and had ti forswear the game from that point, having been informed that it gets worse

You're right about the PW games though for sure, but I think I got badly stuck on some investigation bit in the second game or had to start a case over or something and never got back to the series. And nowadays I don't have a DS or particularly want to deal with tiny screens for gaming anymore, so v:v:v Great writing though.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 22, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Actually if they ported the PW games to a console or the switch or PC then yes I would very probably disappear for several days for each one like I did with Ghost Trick

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

^ (ed) because i do not handle that very well at all ^

FirstAidKite posted:

If you got that far, then you would have already seen the bits talking about depression. Also, yeah, later in the game it is entirely possible to see some dialogue about how she hosed up and instead of decapitating herself like hanging is supposed to do, she spent her last moments desperately clawing at the noose with her fingers

Yeah mission accomplished in that sense :v: Still wanted to see where else the game was going though because it was also getting Weird With A Capital W and I eat that stuff up, but had to turn away 'round then, so hey yo

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 22, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

On the opposite side of the spectrum from story driven is highly actiony poo poo like Shadow of Mordor, one of a very small number of exceptions to my distaste for open world games (insofar as SoM can be considered open world, I suppose)

Which is convenient because I juuuust realized Shadow of War is a) a thing and b) is out, and c) is apparently extremely good :eek:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

coffee is the devil's brew (says the mtn dew drinker)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

why hasn't humanity invented caffeinated milk yet it's 2017 fer gently caress's sake

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

i don't drink coffee because i don't care for the flavor. i'm told to put in sugar and milk, but i think if you do that, it isn't coffee, it's just savory sugarmilk

Same, I mostly can't stand bitter flavors and coffee is as bitter as it gets to me

Same with alcohol actually now that I think about it, if I ever have a drink I have to laden it with so much fruity sugary poo poo it's like, why don't I just have a soda

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So just making sure here, if I liked Shadow of Mordor I'd love Shadow of War, right

I'm juuust about done with Path of Exile for the next month or so, I think

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dewgy posted:

Yes. The only thing it really loses is the Batman-esque untouchability that comes with being good at the combat. SoW is a lot more likely to screw you over in combat than the original or the Batman games, but it’s also built around you dying frequently to progress the world, so it balances out.

I am 100% okay with that difficulty shift, SoM desperately needed it.

Downloading now, it's been too long since I played anything besides Path of Exile so this should be fun.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Today's first world problem: out of space on both my 250gb SSDs

I reeeally should have kept one of those 2TB HDDs, the constant Steam Shuffle is annoying

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

Like those guys ever took "No" for an answer

:chef-doing-the-c'est-magnifique-finger-sign:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I started playing Shadow of War last night as promised, and got sucked in 'til like 1:30 in the morning getting to the point where I could Dominate Captains and the like

So I guess now is the point where the Real Game has officially begun

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

head honcho guy said he was gonna bring the site back up, idk how he'd even do it with all the mods gone. Maybe it'd be funnier.

bro the real game has not even Begun

How far in should I go story wise/what should I get unlocked before I proceed with the Mucking About, then?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

Someone over there doesn't like the Discworld books

:yikes:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I got the impression from The Salmon of Doubt that Adams drove/would have driven any employers and coworkers in any job to absolute despair

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

which one, charlie or internet

i was kinda wondering how destiny 2 turned out, especially on PC, but wading into that thread is probably bad juju from what I saw in previous destiny threads

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Play Path of Exile instead

stare into the abyss :kheldragar:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

More fun than D3 ever was :can:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I kinda want to get Odyssey because I haven't properly played through a 3D mario since 64

But switch in portable mode hurts my head after a while (as do all handhelds) and I can't plug it into my monitor because it's displayport only :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there an Odyssey demo somewhere in this stupid switch eshop

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i can't find hyrule warriors either, i thought that had a switch port by now??

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

psychoJ posted:

it just has a 3DS port which is kind of lol

although new 3DS runs it ok apparently

wtf i thought the switch was supposed to supplant the 3ds and that ancient thing could finally die

nintendo and consoles in general loving confuse me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah ok fair, i'm tired and not thinkin' too straight

i guess I could get fire emblem warriors to scratch that musou itch but i've never had much attachment to FE

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8TmIxHSBcU

comment posted:

OH MY GOD THE TITLE SCREEN IS CHANGING THE COLORS OF THE WORDS IN TIME WITH THE MUSIC SCREW NEXT-GEN CONSOLES THIS RIGHT HERE IS PROGRAMMING GENIUS 

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 27, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

codenameFANGIO posted:

But being rude makes me feel like a big man.

president does it so it must be okay

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i guess we have that one robot citizen in saudi arabia now so maybe this isn't far off

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Me unironically

Aren't JoJos like a superclass of humans or something

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what kinda subhuman uses a ds4 to control a mario game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Actually, Its A Dual Shock 3. can't believe how badly you guys owned yourself haha

i will accept this shame if you can inform me how you can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

imagine i made a post here with an orc from Shadow of War being brutally Shamed, with caption "im the orc"

• Locked thread