Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Was that a Trainspotting reference with Groundskeeper Willy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Other than the mediocre Halloween special, I'd this season is pretty solid. It's at least consistently making me laugh.

Also, more Moleman is always a good thing.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Nah. Even under the most forgiving standards, this season has been a dumpster fire.

Like it or not, at least the Armin Tamzerian episode had something to say.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Inkspot posted:

Nah. Even under the most forgiving standards, this season has been a dumpster fire.

Like it or not, at least the Armin Tamzerian episode had something to say.

"We've run out of ideas"?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Armin Tanzarian episode was an experiment and satire on the nature of sitcoms and how they reset every week. In the end, everything is changed yet nothing is changed. They just severely underestimate the fans' attachment to the integrity of the characters.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Principal and the Pauper ruled.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used to Be

Frustrated with the local government, Marge decides to run for mayor and, to win public support, she begins making Homer the butt of her jokes.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
"Now a woman can be Joseph Goebbels." drat, current Simpsons.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

dovetaile posted:

"Now a woman can be Joseph Goebbels." drat, current Simpsons.

A highlight in an otherwise forgettable episode.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I didn't mind that episode. I laughed at some of Marge's zingers.
It'd be nice to see her stay as Mayor for a season or so. In fact, try 1 season of continuity.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They should have tried continuity a while ago and opened up more episodes about the supporting characters. But instead everything always has to revolve around the family so we're now on like the 5th and 6th iteration of most plots.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Did anyone else get the monorail reference?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Singin' in the Lane

Homer and the guys reunite their old bowling team to cheer up Moe, only to end up in fierce competition with a team of arrogant millionaires. Meanwhile, Lisa and Marge try to teach Bart that money isn't everything.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Pretty late to comment, but this episode was pretty dull. Did people laugh in the table read?

This is like season 21-24ish.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Having an A-plot and a B-plot that both launch from logical places and conclude in sensible, satisfying manners seems like such basic storytelling rhetoric and yet.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Echo Chamber posted:

This is like season 21-24ish.

I honestly don't know how you can distinguish anything. The only thing I know is that the 20's seasons are marginally less cringey than the teens.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I honestly don't know how you can distinguish anything. The only thing I know is that the 20's seasons are marginally less cringey than the teens.
I've typed out my summary of my opinion of Late Simpsons before, but it's been a while, so for the heck of it:

Seasons 1-2: the show not yet good, even though it was already emerging as a "phenomenon" show
Seasons 3-8: the good "classic" seasons. Show changes tone a lot within these years but it's always been great.
Seasons 9-10: the show losing steam, but with plenty of episodes that might as well be holdovers from classic Simpsons
Seasons 11-14: the show slowly getting more "whacky" and worse. yet some of these episodes still slip into quotable Simpsons anyway. this was when most people decided the show was bad; even though i still found it more than tolerable.
Seasons 15-20: decent seasons. not as bad as 11-14. less "whacky", more play-it-safe plots. occasional good "concept" episodes. (this also coincides with The Simpsons movie, which was well received, even though it's definitely a "crazy" plot)
Seasons 21-24: the "safe" formula getting duller to a point where it's worse than 11-14. but still some good episodes too. and plenty of poor episodes, including some poor "concept" episodes
Seasons 25-29: a real mixed bad. some "crazy" plots that are good. plenty of forgettable play-it-safe episodes with some laughs. other play-it-safe plots with no laughs. a lot of mind-numbing "Why was this script greenlit?" episodes that i can't even remember a week later after watching. quality control all over the place. i'll take it over 21-24 at least.

Obviously, most people will disagree with me. As far as most are concerned, the show became bad around season 10 or so and stayed bad, period. I'm not as big a hater of post-classic Simpsons as your typical neckbeard.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 23, 2017

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It certainly seems like they've been leaning pretty hard into callbacks from the good seasons lately. With the Kamp Krusty, monorail, Pin-Pals, etc. stuff.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Mr. Lisa's Opus

As future Lisa writes her college application essay for Harvard, she recalls past disappointing birthdays that helped shape her.

The future episodes are usually pretty good.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Flaming Moe is indeed the most overpriced thing at Universal Studios. 8 bucks gets you an 8oz orange soda with some dry ice.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This was a cute episode. I like that the SATs now have telekinesis.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Feels like that was supposed to be building to some emotional gut punch that just never really showed up

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
That was a pretty good modern Simpsons. A couple of big belly laughs in there (Pubescent Ralph's "I'm growing hair under my long nose," "Dear Lord, the Satan of Heaven...")

But yeah, the entire thing played like it was going to go somewhere heavier or more emotionally resonant than it did in the end.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Can't help but think the "President Kid Rock" line was dangerous considering this show willed President Celebrity Apprentice into existence.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That wasn't bad. Especially considering how I'm one of those fans that got a bit sick of Lisa as I got older.

I'm kind of glad Homer's alcoholism has an expiration date "some time in the future", which still allows Homer to go to Moe's in the perpetual present. I still remember being a bit more disappointed than I have any right being with that one episode where Patty and Selma quit smoking, only for them to hit the reset button at the end.

Some time in the future, a writer will scratch that itch of doing a Boyhood-type episode for Maggie. It'd be funny if they could pull it off well without her speaking.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Gone Boy

When Bart goes missing, the town puts together a search party to find him. After most give up hope, Sideshow Bob manipulates Millhouse into revealing where Bart is hiding.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I enjoyed the episode, save for the Wilhelm scream.

I assume this was written potentially as Bob's last appearance. Though depending on how many times this show still gets renewed, it obviously isn't certain. Bob previously had that whole "I grew accustomed to your face" music number.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 11, 2017

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Haw-Haw Land
Lisa becomes smitten with an older musician called Brendan. Both Nelson and Milhouse try to win Lisa over instead.

Guest star: Ed Sheeran as Brendan and George Takei as himself

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That was oddly solid for a Lisa episode.

Lot of good callbacks, celebrity guest wasn't themself for once.

Very solid grampa joke.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I liked Kearney's Steinberger bass.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Echo Chamber posted:

Haw-Haw Land
Lisa becomes smitten with an older musician called Brendan. Both Nelson and Milhouse try to win Lisa over instead.

Guest star: Ed Sheeran as Brendan and George Takei as himself

Was Takei supposed to be in this, then he got cut when those accusations came out?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Was Takei supposed to be in this, then he got cut when those accusations came out?
Seems likely. I copied and pasted that blurb from somewhere; probably wikipedia, and whoever wrote that blurb did it before or was unaware of any changes to the episode.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Frink Gets Testy

Fearing that the end of the world is near, Mr. Burns tasks Dr. Frink with testing all of Springfield to determine who is worth saving. The results shake the Simpson family to their core.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

So if the H in Homer’s name was mistaken for a B, are we meant to believe that Bat’s B was mistaken for an H?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

J-Spot posted:

So if the H in Homer’s name was mistaken for a B, are we meant to believe that Bat’s B was mistaken for an H?

Yes, I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I like blue rectangles.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Belated "That was an alright episode." Both plots weren't resolved too well, but the ride there was filled with decent jokes and good visual gags. Also, Maurice LaMarche owns. His Futurama portrayal of Orson Welles got him the Emmy.

Also it's nice to see IQ being called bullshit, in light of the current internet environment of psuedointellectuals' jingoism of it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
3 Scenes Plus a Tag From a Marriage

Homer and Marge recount the story of their transition from loving their life without kids to being miserable parents.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

3 Scenes Plus a Tag From a Marriage

Homer and Marge recount the story of their transition from loving their life without kids to being miserable parents.

I think that's next week's. Simpsons Tapped Out and Wikipedia have "Homer is Where the Art Isn't" as tonight's episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Good episode, maybe the first of this season?

• Locked thread