Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

dovetaile posted:

I think that's next week's. Simpsons Tapped Out and Wikipedia have "Homer is Where the Art Isn't" as tonight's episode.

:doh:

Yeah, I grabbed the wrong one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I enjoyed the episode. Especially the absurd "everyone stole the painting" twist at the end.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

That was the best episode of the season by a large margin. Such a weird gimmick to base an episode around but they committed to it and it worked.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

J-Spot posted:

That was the best episode of the season by a large margin. Such a weird gimmick to base an episode around but they committed to it and it worked.

I think they took a page of the Family Guy/American Dad playbook since both have had themed episodes like this. AD being better at it, of course.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The art theft episode is the first Simpsons I've sat down and watched for a long time and I was surprised with how rapid fire and consistently funny it was. The opening segment made me initially think it was going to be a gag or something and it had nothing to do with the actual plot and we'd cut to the show credits and get the real story.

For some reason, it reminded me of the Beer Baron episode.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Yay! Bill Plympton!

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
What the hell was this opening.
(I did like baby!Bart literally rubbing salt in Kirk's wounds.)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That episode lacked a strong focus or compelling conflict. It was nominally about something, but it just teetered off and didn't want to say anything.

The sperm sequence was funny though.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The early Marge/Homer episodes are so weird because the show has been on so long there just isn't continuity.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

angerbeet posted:

The early Marge/Homer episodes are so weird because the show has been on so long there just isn't continuity.

There have been so many "Marge and Homer before kids" plotlines over the years I don't even know which one I like best.

I did enjoy seeing young versions of practically the entire town this episode though, instead of the handful of them in past flashback episodes. That was fun.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Fears of a Clown

Bart goes to prankster rehab after a clown-mask prank terrifies the town and destroys Krusty's career. A tortured Krusty then tries his hand at serious drama with a regional theater company.

And yes, the couch gag is correct. This is the 632nd episode.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
That was some...uncomfortably attentive animation of Marge's steamed hams.

A couple of big, genuine laughs, but a wasted guest voice (You get Andy Daly and have him do one character for a single scene?) and absolutely no resolution to one of the storylines. So, par for the course for Modern Simpsons; I give it a B-.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Fears of a Clown

Bart goes to prankster rehab after a clown-mask prank terrifies the town and destroys Krusty's career. A tortured Krusty then tries his hand at serious drama with a regional theater company.

And yes, the couch gag is correct. This is the 632nd episode.

Should the show end forever on its 666th episode? Inquiring minds want to know.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

JethroMcB posted:

That was some...uncomfortably attentive animation of Marge's steamed hams.

A couple of big, genuine laughs, but a wasted guest voice (You get Andy Daly and have him do one character for a single scene?) and absolutely no resolution to one of the storylines. So, par for the course for Modern Simpsons; I give it a B-.

Andy Daly's character should've been in international waters.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Episode was inoffensive and forgettable. It weirdly ends with Marge upset, with it being unresolved. And it's not like it'll carry over to next week.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
No Good Read Goes Unpunished

In an attempt to bring the family together, Marge forces everyone to hand in their electronics and take a trip to a book store.

Daniel Radcliffe appears as himself.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

No Good Read Goes Unpunished

In an attempt to bring the family together, Marge forces everyone to hand in their electronics and take a trip to a book store.

Daniel Radcliffe appears as himself.

Maybe this is me outing myself as a nerd but a trip to the bookstore sounds amazing and I would 110% be up for that now and as a kid.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Not a bad episode. Somehow both stories felt like B plots but there were some solid laughs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Huh, they actually addressed the thing about Apu, even though they immediately passed the buck and moved on

https://twitter.com/soham_burger/status/983205121524944898

https://twitter.com/harikondabolu/status/983211404214714368

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That storyline also characterized editing out racist stuff as "taking the character out" of something and then tried to claim the racist author was doing a self-satire. They tried to hit every possible defense at once like an octopus spewing ink everywhere.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

That storyline also characterized editing out racist stuff as "taking the character out" of something and then tried to claim the racist author was doing a self-satire. They tried to hit every possible defense at once like an octopus spewing ink everywhere.

It also had Bart and Homer doing a whole B plot about how much they genuinely appreciate and value ancient Asian culture :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PostNouveau posted:

The reaction I've seen elsewhere so far is not at all positive. Basically, "you had this long to do something, and this was the best you could do???"

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I didn't hate this episode, but yeah if the point of it was to address "The Problem with Apu", it's definitely not a good response. Had the Marge subplot just ended with the Apu portrait, and Lisa giving a better speech when breaking the 4th wall, it would've been okay. Its last scene with the professors just threw me in CD. "Everything is satire!" Nah. Some stuff sucks.

I'm asian and I've been a fan of Hari Kondabolu (despite not seeing TPWA yet), so I was hoping something way better if they were going to tackle the Apu question at all. There were plenty of people who took issue with Apu back in the show's early seasons, some going so far that they were comfortable calling him racist. People didn't just decide it was a thing worth litigating now that the SJWs took over or whatever.

I'd almost recommend getting Kondabolu to guest star or guest write an episode since he's a funny guy who likes the show, but it's likely he wouldn't want to be used as a prop to bury the hatchet.

Bart plot was fine. Glad Jimmy O Yang's profile is rising.

Edit: You know what? I changed my mind. I thought the idea of Marge having to privately reckon with something she liked that was racist was almost compelling, but it's clear that wasn't the intent. I'll call this episode bad and mean-spirited because of its nihilistic response to criticism.

NPR wrote a thing. I don't disagree with most of it.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 9, 2018

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

PT6A posted:

The reaction I've seen elsewhere so far is not at all positive. Basically, "you had this long to do something, and this was the best you could do???"

Kotaku Article on the Matter posted:

Today, The Simpsons showrunner Al Jean retweeted a tweet saying, “Loved how you guys handled this non-issue. People just want to cry about everything nowadays b/c it makes them feel like they’re doing something. … Oh and I’m Indian and according to Twitter my opinion matters more on this topic.”

Sounds like noted shithead Al Jean wanted to say "Nuh-UH, you're wrong" about a complicated matter in the worst way possible

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Al Jean retweeted that?

That escalated pretty quickly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Al Jean's probably the man most responsible for The Simpsons' long slide into shittiness, so it's not surprising in the least.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The initial person who wrote that tweet is a south asian guy. I'm cool with both the south asians who take issue with Apu and those who like the character.

But Al Jean retweeting it, along with his other recent retweets, seems like he really has a bone to pick with Apu hate. Oh boy. If he has some really bad poo poo to say about "PC culture", I rather hear the full extent of it now than have it simmer to the surface once every few years all while he's still running the show. Sigh.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
What do you guys think they'll do about Apu? We've had him for 29 years and the show can't last much longer. I'm guessing they'll just stop using him as much. Or, if they want to be dicks, use him even more.

I don't see them changing his voice.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

What do you guys think they'll do about Apu? We've had him for 29 years and the show can't last much longer. I'm guessing they'll just stop using him as much. Or, if they want to be dicks, use him even more.

I don't see them changing his voice.

We probably just won't see much of Apu from here on out.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Al Jean seems fixated on not changing a thing about him.

I'm generally for not ditching the character, since he and his family are the only south Asian characters in the show. But just let the writers evolve him organically. Maybe give him a reason to pursue another job and letting Sanjay run the store off screen. No more "Hinduism is weird" jokes. Make him more conscious of his immigrant identity not like what they've done in some episodes in the past, but without over ham fisting it. But all this seems to be above Al Jean's capacity as a show runner.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

He'll probably just show up as a background character. He didn't actually speak last night and I can't recall if they've even given him anything to do since season 27's Much Apu About Something which already kind of addressed the problematic aspect of his character anyway.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
It's legit sad that they had Lisa deliver the lovely response. #NotMyLisa

Like, it still would have been lovely, but they could have had Homer say something like "what can I say, I'm dumb as hell and don't know any better" - at least it would tie the (bad) response to an established character trait. But Homer and Bart are the most popular characters so I guess we gotta toss the two women onto the fire instead.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 10, 2018

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i... honestly didn't really get any kind of defense or passing the buck out of that scene? like, the picture is a bad look, but what Marge and Lisa actually say gives the impression that they're aware Apu is a problem, and that he's either changing or going. i get the impression the picture might have actually been meant as a send-off to him in case they decide not to use him again.

i honestly don't know. this is a really weird situation.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i... honestly didn't really get any kind of defense or passing the buck out of that scene? like, the picture is a bad look, but what Marge and Lisa actually say gives the impression that they're aware Apu is a problem, and that he's either changing or going. i get the impression the picture might have actually been meant as a send-off to him in case they decide not to use him again.

I'd agree with you if Al Jean hadn't spent all day retweeting people complaining about "PC Culture" and getting in arguments with Apu's detractors.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I remember a few years ago when Harry Shearer wanted to retire because the show wasn't funny anymore and Al Jean got super huffy about it so Al overreacting for the dumbest reasons isnt surprising

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I didn't get the impression that they're acknowledging/accepting that Apu is a problem, they instead say that Apu "is now politically incorrect" (which often code for "some people chose to become offended!") and then shrug and say "What can you do?"

They then end the scene by saying "Some things will be dealt with at a later date ... if at all" which to me sounds like "We might get around to addressing this down the road, but on the other hand we might not".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I can already see next episode's chalkboard gag tripling down on this. Ugh.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
It's not like I actually watched any episodes that aired since Y2K, so I was strictly a "golden age Simpsons" watcher, but in the back of my mind I'd always wanted a way to move on...

https://twitter.com/theharryshearer/status/984872912409817088

OK, I think this is finally enough to move on. I don't necessarily regret watching the show or anything, but it's now at the point where I really can't enjoy watching old episodes any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I get the feeling I don't want Matt Groening to weigh in on this.

• Locked thread