Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

yeah that's why this is a weird situation for me, because what Al Jean's been saying seems to actively go against the most obvious intepretation of what the show said. like, I really kinda have to stretch to get what he was apparently trying to say out of it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Echo Chamber posted:

I get the feeling I don't want Matt Groening to weigh in on this.

I saw a tweet recently (But damned if I can find it now) highlighting that on the DVDs, you can see storyboards with Groening's notes and there are more than a few along the lines "Remember to make this crowd diverse" and "Don't make homosexuality/disability the punchline here."

I think Matt is too busy counting Netflix money/working on a project he actually cares about at the moment to get involved...but I want to believe he'd have a better take on the situation that seemingly everybody else has thus far.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

I saw a tweet recently (But damned if I can find it now) highlighting that on the DVDs, you can see storyboards with Groening's notes and there are more than a few along the lines "Remember to make this crowd diverse" and "Don't make homosexuality/disability the punchline here."
It’s an older one from Bob Mackey of Talking Simpsons and Retronauts that’s been making the rounds again in light of last episode:
https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/758442670427557889

Between those and the incredible and still-relevant Life in Hell comics, I‘d hope “P.C. Matt” would be on the right side now as well.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Urdnot Fire posted:

It’s an older one from Bob Mackey of Talking Simpsons and Retronauts that’s been making the rounds again in light of last episode:

Ding ding ding. I knew that's where it was, but for whatever reason I couldn't find it.

"Talking Simpsons" is a very fun podcast; highly recommended.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Fears of a Clown

Bart goes to prankster rehab after a clown-mask prank terrifies the town and destroys Krusty's career. A tortured Krusty then tries his hand at serious drama with a regional theater company.

I watched this one and it's the first one I've seen since the mid teens.
I know it's a "thing" now for the beginning to not tie in to the rest but what the gently caress was that all about?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
King Leer

Homer and Marge follow Moe after the bar closes early and discover him and his father fighting. The Simpsons, after finding out that Moe has been excommunicated from his family for years, attempt to bring them back together.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mister Kingdom posted:

King Leer

Homer and Marge follow Moe after the bar closes early and discover him and his father fighting. The Simpsons, after finding out that Moe has been excommunicated from his family for years, attempt to bring them back together.

So Reverend Krustofsky again huh

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Maybe he gets a cell phone!

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Inkspot posted:

Maybe he gets a cell phone!

Or we learn more about the cult he started!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Let this be the last Moe-centric episode.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Let this be the last Moe-centric episode.

Honestly at this point I've come around to the fact that the show needs to end. I know I've bought this up before in these threads but Julie Kavner sounds just unwell trying to do Marge at this point. There's maybe one or two passable episodes a season but it just isn't worth it anymore. They'll break the record in two weeks and then can do a victory lap season next year, but just let it be done.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

J33uk posted:

Honestly at this point I've come around to the fact that the show needs to end. I know I've bought this up before in these threads but Julie Kavner sounds just unwell trying to do Marge at this point. There's maybe one or two passable episodes a season but it just isn't worth it anymore. They'll break the record in two weeks and then can do a victory lap season next year, but just let it be done.

Marge definitely sounds like a different person and it's REALLY obvious.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've said it before, but they could keep the Simpsons going for another 20 years just by reanimating the episodes in HD and using the same voice recordings.

I'm not saying that they should mind you, there's a lot more personality in that older animation, but you got two decades of stories that a large segment of the audience has never seen. Re-animating would make those seasons more palatable to modern audiences and it would be a lot cheaper than keeping things going with new episodes.

It could also fit nicely with Fox's goal of 2 minutes of commercials per hour. They wouldn't have to use the syndication cut and they could even tack on a short behind the scenes with each episode.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 16, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I've said it before, but they could keep the Simpsons going for another 20 years just by reanimating the episodes in HD and using the same voice recordings.

I'm not saying that they should mind you, there's a lot more personality in that older animation, but you got two decades of stories that a large segment of the audience has never seen. Re-animating would make those seasons more palatable to modern audiences and it would be a lot cheaper than keeping things going with new episodes.

It could also fit nicely with Fox's goal of 2 minutes of commercials per hour. They wouldn't have to use the syndication cut and they could even tack on a short behind the scenes with each episode.

I am going to say there's nobody watching the Simpsons who hasn't seen the classic episodes.
And nobody that's thinking "I'm not watching that, it's not in HD".

Or at least the demographic that DOES watch it because they picked it up in series 20 or whatever is tiny.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Taear posted:

I am going to say there's nobody watching the Simpsons who hasn't seen the classic episodes.
And nobody that's thinking "I'm not watching that, it's not in HD".

Or at least the demographic that DOES watch it because they picked it up in series 20 or whatever is tiny.

Yeah that poo poo ran on reruns for ages

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Just watched Marge in Chains, and that scene where Apu and Sanjay are “dancing” — yeesh. Even back then, people knew better than that. That’s not just a bad accent and a stereotypical job.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah that poo poo ran on reruns for ages

I'm going to say that it's a bit like Friends. It's a cultural phenomenon and people watching it were enjoying the old ones. They're not picking it up now and avoiding the old ones.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Finally watched Sunday's episode. It was okay. An episode where they resorted to mining Moe's family backstory could have been worse. And Bart tormenting Homer with the violin was fun.

I'm glad there was no chalkboard gag.

PT6A posted:

Just watched Marge in Chains, and that scene where Apu and Sanjay are “dancing” — yeesh. Even back then, people knew better than that. That’s not just a bad accent and a stereotypical job.
Yeah. Apu isn't directly an example of why Late Simpsons is bad. It was always a problem, even in the classic years. They're only related in the sense that debates about the show's declining quality have largely been spared from the mostly positive media coverage of the show's longevity and cultural influence. But the question of Apu is finally (and rightfully) a CONVERSATION that the pop culture opinion gatekeepers are willing to engage in, which opens up the floodgates of people complaining about the show's decline in quality in general beyond the typical fanboys that Comic Book Guy has stood in for.

I should probably get around to watching Hari Kondabolu's documentary.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 18, 2018

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I'm gonna post this early:

Lisa Gets the Blues

When the Simpsons' flight to Gainesville gets re-routed to New Orleans, Lisa is forced to face her failures, and regain her confidence as a jazz musician. Meanwhile, Bart is intrigued by the voodoo in Louisiana, and Homer is intrigued by the drinking.

This is the 635th episode tying it with Gunsmoke with the most number of episodes for a scripted prime time show.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Moe having siblings is weird and I don't like it. I liked him best when he was in The Little Rascals.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Echo Chamber posted:

Finally watched Sunday's episode. It was okay. An episode where they resorted to mining Moe's family backstory could have been worse. And Bart tormenting Homer with the violin was fun.

I'm glad there was no chalkboard gag.

Yeah. Apu isn't directly an example of why Late Simpsons is bad. It was always a problem, even in the classic years. They're only related in the sense that debates about the show's declining quality have largely been spared from the mostly positive media coverage of the show's longevity and cultural influence. But the question of Apu is finally (and rightfully) a CONVERSATION that the pop culture opinion gatekeepers are willing to engage in, which opens up the floodgates of people complaining about the show's decline in quality in general beyond the typical fanboys that Comic Book Guy has stood in for.

I should probably get around to watching Hari Kondabolu's documentary.

Watch it, it’s under an hour and has Whoopi Goldberg in it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That was pretty bad. Think it was an apology for the Streetcar Named Desire episode that pissed off New Orleans?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That was bearable for a Lisa episode.

Liked the Milhouse and Maggie gag.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Any word if they're going to have a special couch gag this week?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Any word if they're going to have a special couch gag this week?

I mean, they've brought it up every episode for a month.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
That's it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Jesus what the gently caress is wrong with Marge? It sounds like her voice actor is on death's door.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
drat that is a terrible thing Abe did.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well, there we have it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PT6A posted:

Jesus what the gently caress is wrong with Marge? It sounds like her voice actor is on death's door.

I can’t really blame her. Imagine doing that voice and harsher versions of that voice for 31 years.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

I get the feeling I don't want Matt Groening to weigh in on this.

well TOO BAD

https://news.avclub.com/matt-groening-says-apu-critics-love-to-pretend-to-be-o-1825666180

quote:

The latest person to weigh in on the debacle is none other than the show’s creator, Matt Groening. While discussing the show’s latest milestone (most episodes for a primetime scripted series) with USA Today, Groening was asked about the criticism that Apu’s an outdated stereotype. He briefly lamented that kids these days are just so sensitive, saying “I’m proud of what we do on the show. And I think it’s a time in our culture where people love to pretend they’re offended,” which conveniently ignores the fact that Kondabolu and many other critics of Apu say they’ve always felt this way watching the show—it’s just that now, they have some standing from which to critique Groening and the other writers’ approach.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why the gently caress is it so hard for these people to admit, just maybe, they made a fairly innocent mistake that turned out, after three decades on a popular TV show, to have a negative impact on people?

It's really off-putting.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yuck.

Like... if your most enthusiastic defenders are Trump trolls, maybe it's worth reconsidering your position.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's real easy to slip into the conservative viewpoint and dismiss criticism as "they're just pretending to be upset because it's fashionable" when you're a super successful comedy dude who has been lauded as a creative genius for most of your life and whose wealth has kept you detached from the general public for decades. See also: Jerry Seinfeld, John Cleese, Mel Brooks, Ricky Gervais, etc etc..

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1P_CI2Hhcc

An interesting take.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Looks like Mister Kingdom has abandoned his post so ...

quote:

Left Behind
Homer gets Flanders a job at the plant, and he soon learns that no good deed goes unpunished when Flanders starts to insist on carpools and demands more from Homer's work performance. Meanwhile, Marge feels as though their marriage has lost its spark.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Ooof, rough crowd. Ole Groening is going to have to pull out the A-material

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That was a legitimately good episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
S29e20: Throw Grampa from the Dane

The Simpsons take Grampa to Denmark so that he can benefit from its socialized medicine system.

• Locked thread