Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/913508642283954176
https://twitter.com/mattselman/status/913429181475651585

This is yet another Simpsons thread. Yes, this show is still on. This show has its share of ups and downs even after you stopped watching.

Save for one or two bad episodes, I thought Season 28 was solid. If these trends continue... AAAAAAYYYY!!!

"The Serfsons" will be the season premiere.
In a magical medieval world, Marge's mother is turned into an Ice Walker and the only way for Homer to afford the cure is to force Lisa to use illegal magic. When the King discovers this, he kidnaps Lisa, and Homer must lead a feudal uprising to save her. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau guest stars.

Bucking tradition of these type of episodes, it looks like this episode is sticking with one story, rather than having three separate ones for each act. At least I can't find any descriptions for other plots.

Go nuts with Frinkiac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm surprised nobody else used feudalism as a surrogate for capitalism in recent memory to mock people's attachment to the system. I kind of felt the ending tried to backpedal too much from making any point, but I can justify it as mocking people's tendency to both hate the status quo and fear change.

Pretty inspired episode. I'm cool with the idea of more episodes effectively being one long THOH sketch.

I'm surprised to see Troy McClure as one of the heads.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That was fine. They had a few episodes like this the past few years, where one character creates a thing that gets life of its own and causes a rift in the family. The obvious one that comes to mind is "Angry Dad", but I there's been a few others. But I'll take it. Animation was good, and I liked the jab at convention speeches masquerading as questions.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I liked the episode. Kind of felt like Grampa should have been involved with the plot resolution more.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It seems like a lot of cartoons try to toe the line between body horror and humor by having occasional jokes/plots with limbs or parts of limbs getting cut off. I don't know if this can really be called a trend, but I've seen casually used more and more since like ten years ago. I know "Trilogy of Error" dates a bit earlier than that, but that was the exception, and it was a clever enough episode that I give it a pass.

I'm just not a huge fan of thinking about body parts getting cut off, let alone getting eaten.

I guess it was successfully disturbing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Episode wasn't great, but Skinner's plot hits a nerve. Mainly because I'm 30 now but I still think about mistakes and missed opportunities in college. Wished the plot had a real resolution.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Principal and the Pauper ruled.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Pretty late to comment, but this episode was pretty dull. Did people laugh in the table read?

This is like season 21-24ish.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I honestly don't know how you can distinguish anything. The only thing I know is that the 20's seasons are marginally less cringey than the teens.
I've typed out my summary of my opinion of Late Simpsons before, but it's been a while, so for the heck of it:

Seasons 1-2: the show not yet good, even though it was already emerging as a "phenomenon" show
Seasons 3-8: the good "classic" seasons. Show changes tone a lot within these years but it's always been great.
Seasons 9-10: the show losing steam, but with plenty of episodes that might as well be holdovers from classic Simpsons
Seasons 11-14: the show slowly getting more "whacky" and worse. yet some of these episodes still slip into quotable Simpsons anyway. this was when most people decided the show was bad; even though i still found it more than tolerable.
Seasons 15-20: decent seasons. not as bad as 11-14. less "whacky", more play-it-safe plots. occasional good "concept" episodes. (this also coincides with The Simpsons movie, which was well received, even though it's definitely a "crazy" plot)
Seasons 21-24: the "safe" formula getting duller to a point where it's worse than 11-14. but still some good episodes too. and plenty of poor episodes, including some poor "concept" episodes
Seasons 25-29: a real mixed bad. some "crazy" plots that are good. plenty of forgettable play-it-safe episodes with some laughs. other play-it-safe plots with no laughs. a lot of mind-numbing "Why was this script greenlit?" episodes that i can't even remember a week later after watching. quality control all over the place. i'll take it over 21-24 at least.

Obviously, most people will disagree with me. As far as most are concerned, the show became bad around season 10 or so and stayed bad, period. I'm not as big a hater of post-classic Simpsons as your typical neckbeard.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 23, 2017

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That wasn't bad. Especially considering how I'm one of those fans that got a bit sick of Lisa as I got older.

I'm kind of glad Homer's alcoholism has an expiration date "some time in the future", which still allows Homer to go to Moe's in the perpetual present. I still remember being a bit more disappointed than I have any right being with that one episode where Patty and Selma quit smoking, only for them to hit the reset button at the end.

Some time in the future, a writer will scratch that itch of doing a Boyhood-type episode for Maggie. It'd be funny if they could pull it off well without her speaking.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I enjoyed the episode, save for the Wilhelm scream.

I assume this was written potentially as Bob's last appearance. Though depending on how many times this show still gets renewed, it obviously isn't certain. Bob previously had that whole "I grew accustomed to your face" music number.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 11, 2017

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Haw-Haw Land
Lisa becomes smitten with an older musician called Brendan. Both Nelson and Milhouse try to win Lisa over instead.

Guest star: Ed Sheeran as Brendan and George Takei as himself

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Was Takei supposed to be in this, then he got cut when those accusations came out?
Seems likely. I copied and pasted that blurb from somewhere; probably wikipedia, and whoever wrote that blurb did it before or was unaware of any changes to the episode.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Belated "That was an alright episode." Both plots weren't resolved too well, but the ride there was filled with decent jokes and good visual gags. Also, Maurice LaMarche owns. His Futurama portrayal of Orson Welles got him the Emmy.

Also it's nice to see IQ being called bullshit, in light of the current internet environment of psuedointellectuals' jingoism of it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I enjoyed the episode. Especially the absurd "everyone stole the painting" twist at the end.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That episode lacked a strong focus or compelling conflict. It was nominally about something, but it just teetered off and didn't want to say anything.

The sperm sequence was funny though.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Episode was inoffensive and forgettable. It weirdly ends with Marge upset, with it being unresolved. And it's not like it'll carry over to next week.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I didn't hate this episode, but yeah if the point of it was to address "The Problem with Apu", it's definitely not a good response. Had the Marge subplot just ended with the Apu portrait, and Lisa giving a better speech when breaking the 4th wall, it would've been okay. Its last scene with the professors just threw me in CD. "Everything is satire!" Nah. Some stuff sucks.

I'm asian and I've been a fan of Hari Kondabolu (despite not seeing TPWA yet), so I was hoping something way better if they were going to tackle the Apu question at all. There were plenty of people who took issue with Apu back in the show's early seasons, some going so far that they were comfortable calling him racist. People didn't just decide it was a thing worth litigating now that the SJWs took over or whatever.

I'd almost recommend getting Kondabolu to guest star or guest write an episode since he's a funny guy who likes the show, but it's likely he wouldn't want to be used as a prop to bury the hatchet.

Bart plot was fine. Glad Jimmy O Yang's profile is rising.

Edit: You know what? I changed my mind. I thought the idea of Marge having to privately reckon with something she liked that was racist was almost compelling, but it's clear that wasn't the intent. I'll call this episode bad and mean-spirited because of its nihilistic response to criticism.

NPR wrote a thing. I don't disagree with most of it.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 9, 2018

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Al Jean retweeted that?

That escalated pretty quickly.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The initial person who wrote that tweet is a south asian guy. I'm cool with both the south asians who take issue with Apu and those who like the character.

But Al Jean retweeting it, along with his other recent retweets, seems like he really has a bone to pick with Apu hate. Oh boy. If he has some really bad poo poo to say about "PC culture", I rather hear the full extent of it now than have it simmer to the surface once every few years all while he's still running the show. Sigh.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Al Jean seems fixated on not changing a thing about him.

I'm generally for not ditching the character, since he and his family are the only south Asian characters in the show. But just let the writers evolve him organically. Maybe give him a reason to pursue another job and letting Sanjay run the store off screen. No more "Hinduism is weird" jokes. Make him more conscious of his immigrant identity not like what they've done in some episodes in the past, but without over ham fisting it. But all this seems to be above Al Jean's capacity as a show runner.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I can already see next episode's chalkboard gag tripling down on this. Ugh.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I get the feeling I don't want Matt Groening to weigh in on this.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Finally watched Sunday's episode. It was okay. An episode where they resorted to mining Moe's family backstory could have been worse. And Bart tormenting Homer with the violin was fun.

I'm glad there was no chalkboard gag.

PT6A posted:

Just watched Marge in Chains, and that scene where Apu and Sanjay are “dancing” — yeesh. Even back then, people knew better than that. That’s not just a bad accent and a stereotypical job.
Yeah. Apu isn't directly an example of why Late Simpsons is bad. It was always a problem, even in the classic years. They're only related in the sense that debates about the show's declining quality have largely been spared from the mostly positive media coverage of the show's longevity and cultural influence. But the question of Apu is finally (and rightfully) a CONVERSATION that the pop culture opinion gatekeepers are willing to engage in, which opens up the floodgates of people complaining about the show's decline in quality in general beyond the typical fanboys that Comic Book Guy has stood in for.

I should probably get around to watching Hari Kondabolu's documentary.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 18, 2018

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That was bearable for a Lisa episode.

Liked the Milhouse and Maggie gag.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yuck.

Like... if your most enthusiastic defenders are Trump trolls, maybe it's worth reconsidering your position.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Getting in early this week after missing the last two? :v:
I've also been behind on this show. I'm still annoyed at the doubling down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Big bumpin'

Matt Groening weighs in on Apu again. He walks back a little on his "people love to pretend to be offended" line. (Translation: "Please watch my new show on Netflix.") But it isn't much.

quote:

What did you mean when you said “people love to pretend they’re offended”?

That wasn’t specifically about Apu. That was about our culture in general. And that’s something I’ve noticed for the last 25 years. There is the outrage of the week and it comes and goes. For a while, it was, believe it or not, kids were stealing quarters out of their mothers’ purses in order to go to the video arcade, and that was going to bring down civilization. No one even remembers that, because that lasted a week. I think particularly right now, people feel so aggrieved and crazed and powerless that they’re picking the wrong battles.

Do you believe the people who have raised questions about the depiction of Apu are sincere in their beliefs?

Sure, and my guess is I agree, politically, with 99 percent of the things that Hari Kondabolu believes. We just disagree on Apu. I love the character and I would hate for him to go away. I am sorry that “The Simpsons” would be criticized for having an Indian character that, because of our extraordinary popularity — I expected other people to do it. I go, maybe he’s a problem, but who’s better? Who’s a better Indian animated character in the last 30 years? I’ve been to India twice and talked about “The Simpsons” in front of audiences. That’s why this took me by surprise. I know Indians are not the same as Indian-Americans.
Ugh. He's not engaging with the substance of Kandabolu or anyone else's criticism. And not acknowledging how the whole timing of the "controversy" was a skirmish if the show's choosing. Too lazy to unpack more of this now.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 18, 2018

• Locked thread