Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

J-Spot posted:

I actually found that third segment to be kind of disturbing and uncomfortable to watch.

It felt a little try-hard-y to me, probably because they pushed the grossness (while going to great lengths to avoid actually showing anything gross, such as having Homer wear oven mitts through the entire segment) but the jokes weren't landing. It felt more like a Family Guy bit than a Simpsons bit except Family Guy would have taken it that one extra step and shown the grossness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Huh, they actually addressed the thing about Apu, even though they immediately passed the buck and moved on

https://twitter.com/soham_burger/status/983205121524944898

https://twitter.com/harikondabolu/status/983211404214714368

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

That storyline also characterized editing out racist stuff as "taking the character out" of something and then tried to claim the racist author was doing a self-satire. They tried to hit every possible defense at once like an octopus spewing ink everywhere.

It also had Bart and Homer doing a whole B plot about how much they genuinely appreciate and value ancient Asian culture :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i... honestly didn't really get any kind of defense or passing the buck out of that scene? like, the picture is a bad look, but what Marge and Lisa actually say gives the impression that they're aware Apu is a problem, and that he's either changing or going. i get the impression the picture might have actually been meant as a send-off to him in case they decide not to use him again.

i honestly don't know. this is a really weird situation.

I didn't get the impression that they're acknowledging/accepting that Apu is a problem, they instead say that Apu "is now politically incorrect" (which often code for "some people chose to become offended!") and then shrug and say "What can you do?"

They then end the scene by saying "Some things will be dealt with at a later date ... if at all" which to me sounds like "We might get around to addressing this down the road, but on the other hand we might not".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well, there we have it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's real easy to slip into the conservative viewpoint and dismiss criticism as "they're just pretending to be upset because it's fashionable" when you're a super successful comedy dude who has been lauded as a creative genius for most of your life and whose wealth has kept you detached from the general public for decades. See also: Jerry Seinfeld, John Cleese, Mel Brooks, Ricky Gervais, etc etc..

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Looks like Mister Kingdom has abandoned his post so ...

quote:

Left Behind
Homer gets Flanders a job at the plant, and he soon learns that no good deed goes unpunished when Flanders starts to insist on carpools and demands more from Homer's work performance. Meanwhile, Marge feels as though their marriage has lost its spark.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
S29e20: Throw Grampa from the Dane

The Simpsons take Grampa to Denmark so that he can benefit from its socialized medicine system.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Getting in early this week after missing the last two? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It was disappointing that they couldn't even commit to the idea of laying to rest all the ghosts of all the characters that got summarily killed off over the years and just turned it into Bart's coma hallucination instead. It felt like an unused Treehouse Of Horror plot that they decided to turn into a full episode but then they had to walk it back because they don't do crazy stuff like that any more.

• Locked thread