Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Wooooow, an "Everyone Loves Ned Flanders" callback almost a quarter-century later...confusingly to fill time on an episode that had 3 unique (and mostly unfulfilling) plot threads.

Not a knock, though. It was a fun episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
That was a pretty good modern Simpsons. A couple of big belly laughs in there (Pubescent Ralph's "I'm growing hair under my long nose," "Dear Lord, the Satan of Heaven...")

But yeah, the entire thing played like it was going to go somewhere heavier or more emotionally resonant than it did in the end.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
That was some...uncomfortably attentive animation of Marge's steamed hams.

A couple of big, genuine laughs, but a wasted guest voice (You get Andy Daly and have him do one character for a single scene?) and absolutely no resolution to one of the storylines. So, par for the course for Modern Simpsons; I give it a B-.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

PT6A posted:

The reaction I've seen elsewhere so far is not at all positive. Basically, "you had this long to do something, and this was the best you could do???"

Kotaku Article on the Matter posted:

Today, The Simpsons showrunner Al Jean retweeted a tweet saying, “Loved how you guys handled this non-issue. People just want to cry about everything nowadays b/c it makes them feel like they’re doing something. … Oh and I’m Indian and according to Twitter my opinion matters more on this topic.”

Sounds like noted shithead Al Jean wanted to say "Nuh-UH, you're wrong" about a complicated matter in the worst way possible

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Echo Chamber posted:

I get the feeling I don't want Matt Groening to weigh in on this.

I saw a tweet recently (But damned if I can find it now) highlighting that on the DVDs, you can see storyboards with Groening's notes and there are more than a few along the lines "Remember to make this crowd diverse" and "Don't make homosexuality/disability the punchline here."

I think Matt is too busy counting Netflix money/working on a project he actually cares about at the moment to get involved...but I want to believe he'd have a better take on the situation that seemingly everybody else has thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Urdnot Fire posted:

It’s an older one from Bob Mackey of Talking Simpsons and Retronauts that’s been making the rounds again in light of last episode:

Ding ding ding. I knew that's where it was, but for whatever reason I couldn't find it.

"Talking Simpsons" is a very fun podcast; highly recommended.

• Locked thread