Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Oh haha, I'm a complete idiot and forgot the HD collection was on PS3 and 360. Wow it's really been a long time since I've played Silent Hill.
Totally worth digging my 360 out of the basement. I think I'll do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I remember reading that the Silent Hill HD collection was a botched port or something and the games don't even run well and look like rear end...maybe I'm wrong.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I looked it up and I'm not wrong. Buy at your own risk.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They got rid of all the fog and made it widescreen so there's no sense of claustrophobia in the slightest and they run worse than the PS1/2 versions. When I was looking into playing the series what I gathered was the avoid the HD collection entirely

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
just play them emulated on PC, they are perfect on PC

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kongming posted:

I remember reading that the Silent Hill HD collection was a botched port or something and the games don't even run well and look like rear end...maybe I'm wrong.

you're right, unfortunately

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

actually gonna play order of ecclesia for the first time once im done with souls. not a traditional horror game but definitely fits the october mood

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
oh poo poo, I'll think I'll try and play Pathologic this month. it'll probably take a month for me to beat, and it's been ages since I had a game I really had to take notes for while trying to figure it out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

klapman posted:

oh poo poo, I'll think I'll try and play Pathologic this month. it'll probably take a month for me to beat, and it's been ages since I had a game I really had to take notes for while trying to figure it out

Nice, Pathologic HD? I backed their kickstarter 3 years ago to put that out in a legible format and the project morphed into a full on sequel, but they also gave me a copy of HD along with my original backing tier which is cool. So I got two games out of it. Who knows if 2 will ever materialize though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Liquid Drink posted:

I've never really had luck with PS2 emulation, but some people swear it's perfectly fine so idk. Whenever I try it it's jittery and the sound is hosed up and FMVs never work right and you need to follow a bunch of game specific plugin settings. PS1 emulation is flawless though, that's how I played SH1 and it was great.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

In Training posted:

Nice, Pathologic HD? I backed their kickstarter 3 years ago to put that out in a legible format and the project morphed into a full on sequel, but they also gave me a copy of HD along with my original backing tier which is cool. So I got two games out of it. Who knows if 2 will ever materialize though

Yeah, I've never played an Ice Pick Lodge game before but I hear they tend to be really atmospheric and interestingly designed. Once in a while I find myself really in the mood for games where you can fail without it just being a binary system where it's like "oh you lost this encounter, so you lost the game". I like being able to look back after beating it and spot the points in my playthroughs where I completely hosed up without even noticing it, that kinda stuff is cool.

Making a horror game out of that concept is some A+ poo poo, and the more I talk about it on here the more excited I get about it. I'm definitely playing this tonight!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Let me know how it is because I've only ever played 20 minutes of the OG game and it was bafflingly translated and I wandered around a swamp until a gang of mumbling youths gave me AIDS and I died in a tire pit

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

oh also something neat I noticed today. Watch this classic scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmlwhaEEgE

and then listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS6HX2m-HNY&t=27s

Awesome

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I'm going to play SOMA

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

extremebuff posted:

you're right, unfortunately

It's even worse than I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GKtsHcJOMI&t=35s

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Woah, that's real depressing. I'll get it emulated somehow. Syphon Filter ran okay so I'm sure SH2 should do fine.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

gently caress, poo poo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

Let me know how it is because I've only ever played 20 minutes of the OG game and it was bafflingly translated and I wandered around a swamp until a gang of mumbling youths gave me AIDS and I died in a tire pit

there is a full remake (as opposed to a remaster like HD) coming out next year confusingly titled Pathological 2 . I never played the original but I'm gonna hold off and wait for that, here's a gameplay vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qekTbTpUsFs

edit: lol this is the best looting interface I've ever seen

goferchan fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 3, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

there is a full remake (as opposed to a remaster like HD) coming out next year confusingly titled Pathological 2 . I never played the original but I'm gonna hold off and wait for that, here's a gameplay vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qekTbTpUsFs

edit: lol this is the best looting interface I've ever seen

yeah I mentioned like one post earlier that I backed this

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Okay Pathologic loving rules and since I know folks on this forum like seeing insane notes, here's a link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mFxnBrR1iPrWdVtLU1pZfxmu_cG3LCxbEF9Z1q7kRGM/edit?usp=sharing

I'm really looking forward to playing it more tomorrow

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I can never believe it when people, in notes to themselves, write swear words and stuff.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
When I'm actually writing the notes on paper I never do this cause it's a pain in the rear end, but with a keyboard I pretty much write any notes as if I'm speaking aloud. I swear a lot because I'm cool.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

extremely steampunk posted:

I'm going to play SOMA

You’ll be glad you did.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

I can never believe it when people, in notes to themselves, write swear words and stuff.

if i type notes to myself theres a lot of cursing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've reached the hospital in SH2, a staple of any good horror game. Also am I moron is there any way to deal with Pyramid Head other than dumping 40 bullets into his stupid metallic face

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I've reached the hospital in SH2, a staple of any good horror game. Also am I moron is there any way to deal with Pyramid Head other than dumping 40 bullets into his stupid metallic face

i thought it was timed and damaging him was just to slow him down?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I tried waiting him out a few times and it either takes a while or is only triggered by damage. Or maybe damaging speeds it up because I could trigger his escape on command after about 35 bullets (I had to do it 3 times because when he starts leaving if you get too close he does a DS2 style tracking swipe on me that hosed me up bad)

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Liquid Drink posted:

I had some bad issues with 2 on pc but 3,4, and 1 played well

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

frank.club posted:

I had some bad issues with 2 on pc but 3,4, and 1 played well

good thread on the subject

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488899

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

gaming sin... I've never played a silent hill game :blush:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I scored a copy of Prey off of a coworker so I'm probably going to play that now

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oh yeah I should probably beat Parasite Eve since I started it on Vita.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I scored a copy of Prey off of a coworker so I'm probably going to play that now

It's really good, enjoy.

I bought that Fran Bow game that was yesterday's daily deal on Steam because it was 4 dollars, has good reviews, and looks kinda creepy. The art is neat looking too, reminds me of Brett Helquin's illustrations. Probably play through it this weekend since it's apparently pretty short.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

Oh yeah I should probably beat Parasite Eve since I started it on Vita.

I love that game but PE2 is scarier but a worse game

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
I missed the discussion about silent hill remastered but anyway my favorite thing about it was that they replaced a font on a sign with comic sans

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hizke posted:

I missed the discussion about silent hill remastered but anyway my favorite thing about it was that they replaced a font on a sign with comic sans

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hizke posted:

Haha

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
James Sunderland falls to his knees in utter despair at the sight. "enough, god damnit!! enough!! let me out!!" he screams. the camera pans around to reveal a sign that reads Konami Corporate Headquarters of Japan in comic sans bold. in the distance the screams of tortured game devs resound through the oppressive fog

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hizke posted:

James Sunderland falls to his knees in utter despair at the sight. "enough, god damnit!! enough!! let me out!!" he screams. the camera pans around to reveal a sign that reads Konami Corporate Headquarters of Japan in comic sans bold. in the distance the screams of tortured game devs resound through the oppressive fog

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Hizke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsvfP5BQxaw&t=67s

• Locked thread