Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Vasudus posted:

We were driving back from the amusement park last month and took a detour off 95 to Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway, which reminded me that there are other parts of Virginia beyond NoVA.

Dude, Highway 1 is Jefferson Davis Highway all the way through Alexandria, which is as deep blue NoVa as it gets.

Recently, the city announced that it would be changing the name of the highway, and offered an online form where anyone could submit three choices, which will be decided upon by the city council.

Mine? General William T. Sherman, John Brown and Harriet Tubman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

We were driving back from the amusement park last month and took a detour off 95 to Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway, which reminded me that there are other parts of Virginia beyond NoVA.

Don't let them hear you say that in Alexandria.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I dunno, this was way the gently caress down by King's Dominion. Is there multiple Jefferson Davis highways? I bet there is.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

redneck nazgul posted:

They'd come out and say it was about "states' rights" like they have been since the Lost Cause assholes started popping up post-Reconstruction.

None of them will notice or care if you point out that the Confederate Constitution literally says in black and white, "No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed". They'll just shift the goalpost to "Well, the North was economically oppressing the South, just like Britain did to the original thirteen colonies..."

You can keep poking holes in their theory and providing facts but they will categorically deny it.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

Dude, Highway 1 is Jefferson Davis Highway all the way through Alexandria, which is as deep blue NoVa as it gets.

Recently, the city announced that it would be changing the name of the highway, and offered an online form where anyone could submit three choices, which will be decided upon by the city council.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

US 1 in my neck of the woods in SC is simultaneously Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway, A Blue Star Memorial Highway, and Sherman's actual path of burnination. :shobon:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Soulex posted:

You can keep poking holes in their theory and providing facts but they will categorically deny it.

We're in a post-fact era; truthiness and wikiality are all that matter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

Shouldn’t it be General Grant or Meade?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

redneck nazgul posted:

They'd come out and say it was about "states' rights" like they have been since the Lost Cause assholes started popping up post-Reconstruction.

None of them will notice or care if you point out that the Confederate Constitution literally says in black and white, "No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed". They'll just shift the goalpost to "Well, the North was economically oppressing the South, just like Britain did to the original thirteen colonies..."

gently caress 'em, ask it anyway. Keep asking it over and over. Force them to tap dance around not loudly supporting slavery and white supremacy so they stumble on stupid poo poo and piss off their base or look like horrid monsters. It's what their platform really is anyway, why let them get away with pretending it's not when it looks bad?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Well it’s even that argument. “It’s about state rights!” Ok well what did the states want that congress did not? The one thing in common?

Slavery.

Like states rights has always been a thing. Look at the federal scheduling of Marijuana versus the dozens of states who legalized it locally.

States have always had rights, but what people didn’t like was having their way of life usurped.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Soulex posted:

Like states rights has always been a thing. Look at the federal scheduling of Marijuana versus the dozens of states who legalized it locally.

until nov 8, 2016, this is what I thought civil war 2 would actually be over.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

Well it’s even that argument. “It’s about state rights!” Ok well what did the states want that congress did not? The one thing in common?

Slavery.

States have always had rights, but what people didn’t like was having their way of life usurped.

Unless you didn't want slavery anymore. The one state right the Confederacy didn't allow: Slavery was written into the Confederate Constitution.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Unless you didn't want slavery anymore. The one state right the Confederacy didn't allow: Slavery was written into the Confederate Constitution.
Yup! But everyone overlooks that because it is against their viewpoint.

RFC2324 posted:

until nov 8, 2016, this is what I thought civil war 2 would actually be over.

I doubt a civil war will come from legalization but I do believe that a lot of problems will continue to grow until we look into it being a (temporary)solution for some.

Also that should have gone up after Sessions made his appointment. He HATES marijauana worse than his racism. Don’t forget he said “I thought the KKK were nice, until I found out they smoked marijuana.”

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Also, the fugitive slave act was 100% about using federal law to force free states to bend to slave's states' version of whether people could be property, and southern congressmen lost their poo poo when Wisconsin and Vermont tried to nulify it at the state level.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Vasudus posted:

I dunno, this was way the gently caress down by King's Dominion. Is there multiple Jefferson Davis highways? I bet there is.

Rt.1 towards Kings Dominion turns in to "Washington Highway". It's Jefferson Davis most of the way in Northern Virginia.

Vasudus posted:

way the gently caress down by King's Dominion

lol. Might as well still be in NoVA as far as 75% of the state is concerned.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Just as there was confusion at the emancipation proclamation, the “40 acres and a mule” reparations was made as an off the cuff comment from a general(?), and people still don’t fully loving understand that slavery wasn’t “a good ol time” as portrayed in some loving history books (Georgia).

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/31/us/new-york-shots-fired/index.html

CNN reporting NYPD considering this terrorism. Waiting on two scoops to fire off some non-sensical tweet about how this is Hillary/Dems/Muellers fault

Edit: and there it is, though not quite what I was expecting

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/925474979914887168

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

hobbesmaster posted:

House of cards is showing live on CNN though?

You're thinking of South Park https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5i0wHiNrr0

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

crazyivan45 posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/31/us/new-york-shots-fired/index.html

CNN reporting NYPD considering this terrorism. Waiting on two scoops to fire off some non-sensical tweet about how this is Hillary/Dems/Muellers fault

Edit: and there it is, though not quite what I was expecting

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/925474979914887168

NYC isnt in the USA or this doesnt happen in the USA even though it just did?

edit: just to rub it in that you guys got a giant baboon as president

https://twitter.com/globeandmail/status/925437532090888193

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mueller is going to interview Hope Hicks when she comes back from Asia. Should be fun. Ask her if she thinks she can survive more than 5 minutes in a women's prison.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ebb please add Mueller to Mount GiPmore

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Casimir Radon posted:

Mueller is going to interview Hope Hicks when she comes back from Asia. Should be fun. Ask her if she thinks she can survive more than 5 minutes in a women's prison.

:mbison-yes:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Ebb please add Mueller to Mount GiPmore

no

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

This is what I was talking about last night.

She's going to run or she's going to come back with a fully loaded dossier throwing literally everyone under the bus.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

NYC isnt in the USA or this doesnt happen in the USA even though it just did?

edit: just to rub it in that you guys got a giant baboon as president

https://twitter.com/globeandmail/status/925437532090888193

Goddamn I wish this dude was president.
Apparently he stops jogging in the morning to talk with people sometimes, all Canadian and friendly like.

USA someone stops jogging near you and you’re like “get away mouth breathing fat shamer.”

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Soulex posted:

Goddamn I wish this dude was president.
Apparently he stops jogging in the morning to talk with people sometimes, all Canadian and friendly like.

USA someone stops jogging near you and you’re like “get away mouth breathing fat shamer.”

Every time I read an article about Trudeau on Facebook/twitter it's just a bunch of conservatives saying the same stuff American republicans said about Obama. Its getting pretty bad up here but it's mostly anger kids and old racist fucks, the majority of people don't mind him.

But he's also a neoliberal which is bad but he isn't as bad as marcon in France at least. And I'm not constantly embarrassed for my country which is good.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

That’s gonna be a good loving read. Ghost Wars was incredible.

I feel like if you put together Relentless Strike with Dirty Wars, The Way of the Knife and this you’d have a pretty comprehensive account of how hosed up GWOT is.

Don't forget Descent Into Chaos, by Ahmed Rashid, the guy who wrote Taliban.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/925501144067137537

don Jr. dressed as his dad for Halloween? That's completely normal and not a sign of severe daddy issues

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hot Karl Marx posted:

don Jr. dressed as his dad for Halloween? That's completely normal and not a sign of severe daddy issues

That feeling when you demand people respect the flag, but aren't sure if people kneeling before you shows obedience or disrespect.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
He's just respecting the gently caress out of that flag every time he rips a fart.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I assume he set his cross down for the picture?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hobbesmaster posted:

I assume he set his cross down for the picture?

No it's pretty obvious the kid is just about finished putting it back in

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Trudeau is not a great PM politically, his party has basically abandoned one of it's major campaign promises (electoral reform). A lot of conservative voters make fun of him for being a drama and gym teacher because apparently you have to be a MBA to be a politician.

Dude is super nice, well spoken, talks a good game and has been paddling canoes since he was a wee lad with Pierre Elliot Trudeau. Bit of an empty shirt but I'll take him over Harper or Trump any day of the week.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/925495970032443392

Lmao

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Don Jr is going to be so sad and ever-wondering why his kids never visit him in prison.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Never too early to turn your daughter into the next Lizzie Borden

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Or maybe you could go to the store and pick out some candy. Then walk out and threaten to tie them up in court for years when they try tol stop you. Never to early to teach her how the family business works.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

That's a pitiful haul for a "hard working" kid, especially one who started her round in the rich neighborhood.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Do you suppose she really wanted to be a cop for Christmas, or it's just more political theater for rubes? I'd say 100% the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Overheard someone asking a 5 year old kid what the scariest thing he saw was. He replied that Party City Trump mask.

It is a choice bank robbery mask.

• Locked thread