Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Brony Car posted:

Is that good or bad? Doesn’t he already control everything there anyway?

If he buys Usmanov's shares he will own 97% of the club, which means he can make the rest of the shareholders compulsory offers, take the club private, re-register it in America, not have an AGM, not release financial numbers, etc. Yes, it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

wicka posted:

If he buys Usmanov's shares he will own 97% of the club, which means he can make the rest of the shareholders compulsory offers, take the club private, re-register it in America, not have an AGM, not release financial numbers, etc. Yes, it's bad.

your apple meltdown though was really funny

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jose posted:

Thanks, keep an eye on the iPhone thread around November 3rd ;)

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Under pressure from the six richest clubs, the league's executive chairman Richard Scudamore has proposed ending a quarter of a century of the equal sharing of international broadcasting income.

This seems bad, albeit not really possible.

quote:

But despite a week of concerted lobbying, with a two-thirds majority required to approve any changes, Scudamore's plan is set to be rejected.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jose posted:

Link

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

So this is Klopp mad that bad teams don't roll over like Germany, Kroenke worried he won't get as much out of arsenal due to never being in the cl again, sheikh mansour unhappy about qatar being able to buy football better than him?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Byolante posted:

sheikh mansour unhappy about qatar being able to buy football better than him?

manchester city are better than psg

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
International Football: "Hurr durr"

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Leicester have been told by FIFA they can't have an exception for submitting a transfer request 14 seconds late, and Adrien Silva now can't be registered to play until January. Most houses have clocks more than 14s out from each other ffs, seems a ludicrous decision which I doubt would happen to a bigger club.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tsaedje posted:

Leicester have been told by FIFA they can't have an exception for submitting a transfer request 14 seconds late, and Adrien Silva now can't be registered to play until January. Most houses have clocks more than 14s out from each other ffs, seems a ludicrous decision which I doubt would happen to a bigger club.

A bigger club would have just had it go through without anyone mentioning it being 14 seconds late.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Byolante posted:

A bigger club would have just had it go through without anyone mentioning it being 14 seconds late.

Or with the explanation of a broken fax machine

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Apple TV thread circa 9/22-23, iirc

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Byolante posted:

So this is Klopp mad that bad teams don't roll over like Germany, Kroenke worried he won't get as much out of arsenal due to never being in the cl again, sheikh mansour unhappy about qatar being able to buy football better than him?

I'm sure Chelsea, Spurs and Manchester United were a stark contrast and said immediately to Scudamore "no money, please. We have quite enough."

Anyway, don't put it down to Klopp. FSG have been pretty adamant about this since they took over Liverpool.

For your reading pleasure, former CEO Ian Ayre whining about international television rights back in 2011:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-let-us-agree-our-own-tv-rights-deal-2369072.html

EDIT: Also, this saga is never going to end...

Van Dijk wants Southampton exit in January

quote:

Virgil van Dijk will look to leave Southampton in January and has no regrets about trying to force a move to Liverpool.

The centre back made his first start of the season in Saturday’s 2-1 defeat by Stoke City having spent the summer agitating for a move away from St Mary’s. He wanted to join Liverpool, who were prepared to pay a world- record fee of around £70 million for a defender, but Southampton stood firm even after the 26-year-old submitted a transfer request.

While he has vowed to do his best for Mauricio Pellegrino’s side, he still wants to move as soon as possible. “I have no regrets,” said Van Dijk, who is on international duty with Holland before World Cup qualifiers against Belarus and Sweden.

“I wanted to go one step up, but Southampton did not want to let me go. You’re a professional, so now I’ll give everything to the club. Halfway through the season, maybe we can see what’s possible.”

Van Dijk was initially omitted from Dick Advocaat’s squad but was called up on Monday for his country who are in danger of missing out on qualification for Russia.

The guy sounds like a dick.

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 4, 2017

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Brony Car posted:

I'm sure Chelsea, Spurs and Manchester United were a stark contrast and said immediately to Scudamore "no money, please. We have quite enough."

Anyway, don't put it down to Klopp. FSG have been pretty adamant about this since they took over Liverpool.

For your reading pleasure, former CEO Ian Ayre whining about international television rights back in 2011:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-let-us-agree-our-own-tv-rights-deal-2369072.html

EDIT: Also, this saga is never going to end...

Van Dijk wants Southampton exit in January

The guy sounds like a dick.

If his performance against Stoke is everything he has then Liverpool is better off without him imo

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Is it not better that he's honest than pretending he totally loves the club now and was wrong before trying to leave again?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Guardian have updated their Next Generation for 2017: https://www.theguardian.com/football/series/next-generation

They have also gone back to 2016,2015 and 2014 to see if they were right or not.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

Byolante posted:

If his performance against Stoke is everything he has then Liverpool is better off without him imo

I thought he looked good. Obviously he was a bit rusty and not at the top of his game but I can see why he's attracting so much attention.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Meat Wagon posted:

I thought he looked good. Obviously he was a bit rusty and not at the top of his game but I can see why he's attracting so much attention.

We'll turn him poo poo, don't you worry.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Arsenal fans begging Jabba Usmanov not to sell to Kroenk will never not be funny.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Speaking of defenders: how the gently caress did Spurs manage to get £18m for Kevin Wimmer. They bought him for like 4m, barely played him and now he's worth 18m? How? He been really poor for Stoke so far. When the defence is fit again I can only see him being 4th, maybe even 5th choice How can a midtable club like Stoke justify spending so much on such a nothing player? Then again the manager did spend 18.3m on Imbula, 12 - 15m on Berahino and 13m on Joe Allen (I like Allen but there is no way he's been worth that much to us).

£61m spent on a dodgy defender, a piece of poo poo that doesn't want to play football, a striker that can't score and a Dean Whitehead. Nice spending Sparky.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Brony Car posted:

Manchester United have always supported equal distribution :angel:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
why wasn't VVD picked for the national team?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

fat gay nonce posted:

Is it not better that he's honest than pretending he totally loves the club now and was wrong before trying to leave again?

You have a point. I’m not sure what good saying “maybe I can leave in January” to the media this early in the season does though. It just makes Saints fans want to keep him out of spite and let him rot on the bench, I imagine.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

julian assflange posted:

The Guardian have updated their Next Generation for 2017: https://www.theguardian.com/football/series/next-generation

They have also gone back to 2016,2015 and 2014 to see if they were right or not.

I always like these because even though 90% of the players never end up making it you have Marcus Rashford in there

Also because you get things like this:

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Mr Snips posted:

I always like these because even though 90% of the players never end up making it you have Marcus Rashford in there

Also because you get things like this:

Sam Hutchinson is probably the 2nd best player from that XI right now

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
[quote="“ultrabindu”" post="“477047658”"]
Arsenal fans begging Jabba Usmanov not to sell to Kroenk will never not be funny.
[/quote]

Usmanov is like a new signing OP.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Cesc confirmed that he threw the pizza at SAF

https://twitter.com/ALOTO/status/915546584691171330?s=09

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Who gives a poo poo, everyone knew that 10 years ago

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Since 2015, Anthony Martial's PL stats are 62 apps, 18 goals, 12 assists. Hazard's are 71 apps, 20 goals, 8 assists

:stare:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Meat Wagon posted:

Speaking of defenders: how the gently caress did Spurs manage to get £18m for Kevin Wimmer. They bought him for like 4m, barely played him and now he's worth 18m? How? He been really poor for Stoke so far. When the defence is fit again I can only see him being 4th, maybe even 5th choice How can a midtable club like Stoke justify spending so much on such a nothing player? Then again the manager did spend 18.3m on Imbula, 12 - 15m on Berahino and 13m on Joe Allen (I like Allen but there is no way he's been worth that much to us).

£61m spent on a dodgy defender, a piece of poo poo that doesn't want to play football, a striker that can't score and a Dean Whitehead. Nice spending Sparky.

Daniel Levy. See also 16M for Nabil Bentaleb, 15.5M for Ryan Mason, 15M for Nacer Chadli, and 9M for Alex 'Who?' Pritchard.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

AJ_Impy posted:

9M for Alex 'Who?' Pritchard.

Bargain

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Outside of Spurs and Norwich, he hasn't left much of an impression, sadly. One of a long line of technically gifted but not quite there players.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

AJ_Impy posted:

Outside of Spurs and Norwich, he hasn't left much of an impression, sadly. One of a long line of technically gifted but not quite there players.

Tiny Tom...

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

those tv deals for american sports :eyepop:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kcer posted:

those tv deals for american sports :eyepop:

Weirdly american sports have almost the opposite of this - they handicap the teams that do well by giving them last pick of new players in the draft.
That combined with a salary cap (which most teams hit) is meant to encourage competition.

Re premier league:
Why would a board of 20 managers vote in something that benefits only 6 of them?

I guess the table there for 2016-17 the present split - i.e. what happened last year.
So if the top teams already earn 50% more than the lower teams, what are they complaining about?

It's pointless having a competition where the top teams get such an advantage, and considering they're already mostly funded by oil-states, why do they need money?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

wooger posted:

Weirdly american sports have almost the opposite of this - they handicap the teams that do well by giving them last pick of new players in the draft.
That combined with a salary cap (which most teams hit) is meant to encourage competition.

Re premier league:
Why would a board of 20 managers vote in something that benefits only 6 of them?

I guess the table there for 2016-17 the present split - i.e. what happened last year.
So if the top teams already earn 50% more than the lower teams, what are they complaining about?

It's pointless having a competition where the top teams get such an advantage, and considering they're already mostly funded by oil-states, why do they need money?

Their reasoning is to stay competitive internationally, since other top leagues have most of the money going to the top teams.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The hovering threat of a breakaway european super league is the only weapon the big clubs actually have

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Would the big continental clubs earn more money splitting the pot of a super league than they currently get bullying their domestic whipping boys?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Tsaedje posted:

The hovering threat of a breakaway european super league is the only weapon the big clubs actually have

It's also been my impression that compared to other countries' top leagues, England has less clubs with existential financial problems. They don't have to bend over backwards to appease the big clubs with international followings or face ruin. Even the ratings and revenue generated by the lower tiers of English football are pretty healthy.

Hopefully, the English don't ruin that just so Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, the Manchester clubs, or Liverpool can have a better shot of winning more European Cups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Tsaedje posted:

I wonder if this might become a bigger threat if Catalonia breaks away from Spain and Barcelona becomes leagueless.

• Locked thread