Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Covok posted:

Yeah, I kind of hinted at that a few times. Like I said, "would you be this pedantic about any other hero?" and "I think you just hate the character and want to hate her." But, obviously, I should have just left the sexist to feel like he owned some lib or some poo poo. Like, I knew he was an rear end in a top hat in bad faith, but he was so dumb about it. gently caress, I mean, it's not like she just fights frost giants: she's fighting a war across all the realms! Most heroes have their own poo poo to deal with locally, now they need to deal with poo poo on a scale that large because Thor shouldn't exist, basically? Also, seriously, why say Ice Man and not Johnny Storm because, while a sexist argument, Johnny Storm would be better suited for fighting Frost Giants than any Thor.

Also, he really, really hated me saying Jane Thor was stronger than Unworthy Thor because, without the hammer, Unworthy Thor is just not that strong. I'm not saying Thor Odison is weaker, I'm saying Unworthy Thor: Thor Odison sans Mjonir. He kept trying to argue all of the strength of Thor was his own and not the hammer. Yes, I know there are historically conflicting reports on this, actually, but the current comic makes it clear that, sans hammer, he is weaker. Also, it's kind of obvious considering his reasoning for this argument why he would really blister at the notion of a women being more physically powerful than a man.

Man gets mad at notion a woman can be stronger than a man in any context or situation. News at 11.

The funniest thing is it's always the weakest looking people who back this belief up the hardest. I mean, I'm a fat sack of poo poo, but I don't go around pretending to be genetically superior because of my sex.

Covok posted:

On an unrelated note, Marvel Unlimited answered a question me and my brother have been wondering forever: who the gently caress was Ultimate Thor? Turns out he is Thor Odinson reincarnated as a man after Raganorak and imbued with superpowers from a mix of a supersuit and some genetic alterations from a European Science Bureau, his hammer is the powersource of the suit. Like, seriously, we have been wondering that since 2006 and I thought it'd be eternally unanswered. Turns out they addressed it in 2011.

Oh poo poo, is that who he's supposed to be? That's the definition of threading the needle on the two explanations that were going around in 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's been a long rear end time since I've read through ultimates but I thought that story was made up bs from Loki to confuse everybody

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jonathan Hickman wrote the Ultimate Thor mini and he worked overtime to make all the contradictions in the history of Ultimate Thor up to that work in a story. Ultimate Thor's history at that point was a wreck for a character that had such little time of existence. Hickman managed to magic up a story that actually took it all into account and make it somewhat work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think Millar pretty definitely answered that Thor was indeed the son of Odin and a viking god when he had the rainbow bridge and tons of trolls and poo poo show up at the end of Ultimates 2, and everything else that cast doubt on his godhood was obviously Loki trying to gently caress with Thor's life. Although I'm pretty sure Loeb did indeed ruin everything after that.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

I think Millar pretty definitely answered that Thor was indeed the son of Odin and a viking god when he had the rainbow bridge and tons of trolls and poo poo show up at the end of Ultimates 2, and everything else that cast doubt on his godhood was obviously Loki trying to gently caress with Thor's life. Although I'm pretty sure Loeb did indeed ruin everything after that.

I mean, didn't Loeb pratically kill the universe's momentum with fans and cause its death by penning Ultimates 3 and Ultamatium?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zoro posted:

I mean, didn't Loeb pratically kill the universe's momentum with fans and cause its death by penning Ultimates 3 and Ultamatium?

The Ultimate Universe stuck around for another 7 years after Ultimates 3, but it really washed a lot of the prestige from the imprint.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zoro posted:

Yeah he basically single-handedly poisoned the well of what was previously a critically acclaimed imprint.

I guess JMS and Land's Ultimates vs Squadron Supreme is the second gunman on that one.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Skwirl posted:

The Ultimate Universe stuck around for another 7 years after Ultimates 3, but it really washed a lot of the prestige from the imprint.

A humorous choice of words there

I mean I get the IDEA behind Ultimatum, which was people saying "The Ultimate comics are becoming too much just rehashes of the main marvel universe rather than their own thing, we need to shake it up" but it was also the wrong way to do it, but also also I really liked some of the Post-Ultimatum stuff. Which... okay really I mostly just liked Spider-Man, and I REALLY liked J. Jonah Jameson actually seeing that he had been wrong about Spider-Man and ADMITTING it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

KaosMachina posted:

A humorous choice of words there

I mean I get the IDEA behind Ultimatum, which was people saying "The Ultimate comics are becoming too much just rehashes of the main marvel universe rather than their own thing, we need to shake it up" but it was also the wrong way to do it, but also also I really liked some of the Post-Ultimatum stuff. Which... okay really I mostly just liked Spider-Man, and I REALLY liked J. Jonah Jameson actually seeing that he had been wrong about Spider-Man and ADMITTING it

They should have had Mark Millar do it (he may have been busy almost dying at the time though). Or Warren Ellis. Or Matt Fraction (he'd only written for Marvel a little bit at the time, but Casanova was getting good reviews and he was friends with Ellis), anyone besides the guy who'd just written Ultimates 3.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The Ultimate Universe was always a mess if we're going to be honest. People forget about Ultimate Marvel Team Up, Ultimate Adventure, Ultimate Daredevil and Elektra, and Orson Scott Card's weird Iron Man origin.

Even when you go to the flagships (X-men, Ultimates, and Spider-Man), there is definitely this tonal gap between what Millar is doing and what Bendis is doing. Bendis's take leans towards being a more streamlined version of the core Marvel Universe with certain wrinkles ironed out. It's a sort of redo of the Spider-Man mythos. A lot of what he does feels like a second draft of Lee's work (Give us more context for who Ben was in Peter's life; Just make it so Norman Osborn turns into a goblin creature instead of wearing a goblin costume for some reason).

Millar's work is different. It's easy to reduce it to film pitches, and his Ultimate X-men work definitely feels like a trilogy of films. His Ultimates shows a greater level of patience and a willingness to explore the characters, especially Ultimates 2. Millar's work is almost the opposite of Bendis's in that he doesn't iron out wrinkles, but accentuates them. The animated Hank Pym from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is probably the second draft Hank Pym you'd want: He's a truly tragic figure because he's smart, likable, but filled with self-loathing. Millar ramps up the spousal abuse instead. Not only does the Hulk kill, but he eats people. His Captain America is the worst people assume when they hear the name Captain America.

Millar built a Ultimate Universe that seemed like a cynical parody of its source material. And while there is good in his work, his X-Men never has the charm of Claremont's because he leaves little room for the untraditional family metaphor at the heart of X-men. Bendis would incorporate that into his Spider-Man work instead.

The Ultimate Universe was always built on shaky ground despite the strength of Spider-Man and Ultimates.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
poo poo, where do I find a track suit close enough to what Iron Fist currently wears?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

poo poo, where do I find a track suit close enough to what Iron Fist currently wears?

The Tall and Portly Gentleman's

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

The Tall and Portly Gentleman's

I'm short and skinny!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I'm short and skinny!

The Short & Skinny Gentleman's

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Rhyno posted:

I think that depends on how much you want to spend (also I'm not really sure if his outfit is currently green/gold or black/gold):
https://www.amazon.com/Velour-Track...+gold+tracksuit

https://www.amazon.com/Velour-Track...Btracksuit&th=1

a few dollars more gets you a little extra sparkle for your fiery fist to light up:
https://www.amazon.com/Shamrock-Tra...+gold+tracksuit

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

But then, those options don't come with a swanky head wrap, and if you're skinny Rhyno then surely you need a costume that provides a bit of, ahem, bulk?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Fist-Muscle-3-Piece-Costume-Adult-Size-Standard-/122673452841?hash=item1c8fe85729:g:ac4AAOSwjPdZzI5U

Or maybe you'd prefer something that gives the ladies (or men it's 2017 we don't judge) a hint of a different "iron"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Fist-...32hAHY-yobAY73w

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

But BSS also knows that retail comic sales isn't how you get rich, and that you might not be able to fling $50 on a single-use costume that almost certainly can't hold water, so have you considered using a bit of scissors and tape to simply construct a costume from:

https://www.amazon.com/Kekow-Gallon-Kitchen-Trash-Counts/dp/B01GPUV2VY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1508822115&sr=8-5&keywords=green+garbage+bags

and

https://www.amazon.com/FORID-wasteb...old+garbage+bag

? Consider the value, and the quality life, from the gold ones. As the box says, "you deserve best".

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can't tell if that's genuine advice, or a subtle way to say that Rhyno belongs in the trash.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

I can't tell if that's genuine advice, or a subtle way to say that Rhyno belongs in the trash.

His posts sure do lmao!!!!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
RUDE.

And I'm in really great shape now ya jerks!

But IF is not happening as someone just made a huge deal out of PM & IF being a racist costume idea so we don't even want to deal with that rear end in a top hat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Stop trying to get your girlfriend to wear blackface.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Stop trying to get your girlfriend to wear blackface.

DON'T JUDGE MY LIFE

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Any PoC here reading Black Panther? I'm in a Facebook comic group that's majority black folk so I can get a view of the industry outside our bubble here. When the new Storm book was announced with Coates writing, almost everyone there was pissed, saying he couldn't write for poo poo. One dude even posted that Al Ewing would be a better author, which I actually loved.

What's your opinion of his books? Because this came as a real shock to me. After a rough start, his BP is really good, and The Crew had a really solid start.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I liked what I read of his Black Panther, but it didn't take long for me to decide I'd have a way better time reading it after it was finished so I can read it all in one go.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I love Ewing, so I wouldn't say no to a Storm book by him, but also really like Coates and BP is really good now that he adjusted to the medium. What's their specific complaints?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I've been living a lie this entire time.

https://twitter.com/gregpak/status/922615545408737280

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Walk and rock don't really rhyme though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Decius posted:

I love Ewing, so I wouldn't say no to a Storm book by him, but also really like Coates and BP is really good now that he adjusted to the medium. What's their specific complaints?

Nothing really specific, the general gist was his run is boring and he can't write T'Challa. Kind of like how we get when someone says they like Slott's Spider-Man.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

Depends on your accent/dialect, really. They do the way I say them. I think the bigger thing here is that it's not pronounced like "pack," which I've known for a while.

I still don't know how Nicezia is pronounced. I swear I saw it was like "Knee-cheez-uh" but Jay and Miles pronounce it more phonetically and I assume they're known enough that someone would have told them that's wrong.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Are you British? Is this a British thing like when a bunch of people didn't think Squirrel Girl rhymed?

They're a hell of a lot closer to each other than how I used to think Greg Pak's last name sounded.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a cot-caught merger thing with walk.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Are you British? Is this a British thing like when a bunch of people didn't think Squirrel Girl rhymed?

They're a hell of a lot closer to each other than how I used to think Greg Pak's last name sounded.

I speak the Queen's English thank you very much

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's a cot-caught merger thing with walk.

Those are homophones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Those are homophones.

Of course they are but science still has to explain the wrong people.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

I speak the Queen's English thank you very much

It'll be very annoying when she dies and we all have to learn the King's English instead. It's much harder.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Those are homophones.

Are you just speaking for them or did they do something publicly?

bad joke

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Soonmot posted:

Any PoC here reading Black Panther? I'm in a Facebook comic group that's majority black folk so I can get a view of the industry outside our bubble here. When the new Storm book was announced with Coates writing, almost everyone there was pissed, saying he couldn't write for poo poo. One dude even posted that Al Ewing would be a better author, which I actually loved.

What's your opinion of his books? Because this came as a real shock to me. After a rough start, his BP is really good, and The Crew had a really solid start.

Enjoying the heck out of BP, but it's definitely cerebral as gently caress, so people who want more jump-punch-awesome from their books probably won't dig it.

Edit: I'm white.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Endless Mike posted:

Depends on your accent/dialect, really. They do the way I say them. I think the bigger thing here is that it's not pronounced like "pack," which I've known for a while.

I still don't know how Nicezia is pronounced. I swear I saw it was like "Knee-cheez-uh" but Jay and Miles pronounce it more phonetically and I assume they're known enough that someone would have told them that's wrong.

Nee-see-ay-sa.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You can't tell me how to pronounce things, Greg Pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I refuse to retroactively pronounce it "POCKtion Comics."

• Locked thread