Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Are you British? Is this a British thing like when a bunch of people didn't think Squirrel Girl rhymed?

*adjusts monocle* "Squehrel Gehrel"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Here's some Halloween horror for you spooky ghouls! A terrifying image from a horrifying comic!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/HackinTimSeeley/status/923011355086675969

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What.

https://twitter.com/SlowCorrosion/status/916975159352766469

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

That's spectacular.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Calling it now, better than the Looney Tunes stuff

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Page 2 says "END" so that's it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

#whimsy

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Are you British? Is this a British thing like when a bunch of people didn't think Squirrel Girl rhymed?

They're a hell of a lot closer to each other than how I used to think Greg Pak's last name sounded.

I'm not British and they don't rhyme. Neither do Squirrel and Girl. It's not my fault the rest of you mush mouthed folks can't be bothered to learn how to pronounce words. Hell, you probably call it "pop" instead of "soda", don't you?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jedi posted:

I'm not British and they don't rhyme. Neither do Squirrel and Girl. It's not my fault the rest of you mush mouthed folks can't be bothered to learn how to pronounce words. Hell, you probably call it "pop" instead of "soda", don't you?

Look how wrong this guy is!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Look how wrong this guy is!

I just think it's hilarious when people try and tell me what Squirrel does and does not rhyme with.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
How do British people say "Squirrel" that makes it not rhythm with "Girl"? Which weird, backwards abortion of a pronunciation do they perform?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zoro posted:

How do British people say "Squirrel" that makes it not rhythm with "Girl"? Which weird, backwards abortion of a pronunciation do they perform?

They just draw it out enough that it has like three more syllables than it needs.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Zoro posted:

Sque-rel G'irl. -irl doesn't rhyme with -rel.

edit: you guys make more forced rhymes than Etrigan.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Madkal posted:

Sque-rel G'irl. -irl doesn't rhyme with -rel.

edit: you guys make more forced rhymes than Etrigan.

British people have no room to make fun of people's rhymes:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zoro posted:

Think of how barrel is pronounced "ba-rell" and not "barl", or how quarrel is pronounced, or think of Professor Quirrell from Harry Potter.

joehonkie posted:

British people have no room to make fun of people's rhymes:

Yeah I dunno how "land" and "dinner" are meant to rhyme.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Jedi posted:

I thought is was assonance? Like Action Jackson...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
lol at clueless colonials trying to Amerisplain the English language to English people. It's skwi-rell, end of. Your bastard warpings of the Queen's glorious English matter not.

May Kim rain atomic fire on you all for this nonsense.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
This is the greatest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-VHe_4GmE

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

lol at clueless colonials trying to Amerisplain the English language to English people. It's skwi-rell, end of. Your bastard warpings of the Queen's glorious English matter not.

May Kim rain atomic fire on you all for this nonsense.

except in that town 5 miles over, where it's pronounced "skwull", and the town 7 miles over from that where it's pronounced "skirl"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't remember where I read it, and it's probably not true, but it's funny enough that I like to pretend it's true, but apparently the place where the pronunciation of English most closely matches the how people talked in Elizabethan England (you know, the time of Shakespeare) is deep, hillbilly Appalachia.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Skwirl posted:

I don't remember where I read it, and it's probably not true, but it's funny enough that I like to pretend it's true, but apparently the place where the pronunciation of English most closely matches the how people talked in Elizabethan England (you know, the time of Shakespeare) is deep, hillbilly Appalachia.

That actually makes some sense since they be isolated for a very long period of time and wouldn't be exposed to changing tides in English usage. So, as long as they didn't evolve on their own, it would stay relatively the same.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

North Americans didn't lose British accents, Britain did.

When they colonized, they spoke much closer to the way we do than the way they do now. Though obviously not 100% the same.

Shakespeare pronounced his Rs. Also he said "Love" funny.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I heard that the Bostonian accent was very close to colonial English accents, but I have no idea how true that is.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Either Marvel is still making 90s May Parker Spider-Girl and 90s Earth-2 American Dream costumes or this costume shop NEVER liquidates their costumes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They're still making them. Those are the default girl versions of Spidey and Cap.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/IWriteMonsters/status/924059787675029504

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

That's so cute and not at all what I associate twitter with.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Had a fun session tonight of Marvel Heroic Roleplaying.

Had a "cross-company cross-over" oneshot that fit in-between the panels of Invincible. When Omni-man knocked Invincible into the ground during their first fight, due to Omni-Man's 8 months in the Flaxan dimension, they both got sent to 616 Earth.

Deadpool and two OG heroes took in Invincible who landed near them, healed him, brought him to Strange who said that he could only send them back if both were present. Omni-man arrived, fought the heroes, they wore him down (it was a long fight because I built him as a large scale threat), and Invincible (played by the players) managed to get reinjured to near unconsciousness, matching how injured he should be in the comic. Weakened, Doctor Strange sent them both back with their memories erased (allowing that issue to continue on so it can be a between panel crossover).

Then, they all tried to dodge fixing Strange's destroyed Sanctum.

Fun one-shot. It was completely unplanned and worked out perfectly.

Next week, we start an event where Norman Osborn teams up with Doctor Doom to ruin Spider-man and the Fantastic Four.

Edit: Though last week went better. We finished a 6 month event where an evil Reed Richards was absorbing universes to make a perfect world after Galactus ate his world.

They saved Ronaoke, made a world of mutants, and cured the zombies of zombieverse. The british player who played a water elemental called Salacia got exacilbur from evil Captain Britian and Afterburn who was a speedster mutant got zombiverse' phoniex force. When figting Maestro on a radition planet, Captain America turned Hulk: Captain Amerihulk, 616 with the personality of 1610 and the power of the hulk.

When the entire council -- Alpha Reed w/ The Infinity Gauntlet, Maestro, Phoenix from a world where she killed everyone, Parker Venom -- trying to get the heroes to join them, Doctor Strange was able to successfully trick Alpha Reed and, when he went for the handshake, Doctor Strange straight up took the Infinity Gauntlet off Alpha Reed and just put it on himself. Maestro is so pissed he kills Reed for his incompetence, Venom Parker had a crisis over how he will never see MJ again only for Phoenix to reveal that they could have always brought her back causing him to defect to the heroes, then Phoenix and Maestro fight the heroes. Hero's won, Phoniex killed maestro, Phoenix died when the Phoenix Force decide to join with one of the heroes instead because they were the Phoenix of a different universe. Doctor Strange uses The Infinity Gauntlet to resurrect all universes, brings MJ back from the dead for Venom Parker, and all the heroes return to their home universe better from it.

That was an awesome event!

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 29, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

It's BS for the simple fact there was no "how people talked in Elizabethan English". You had differences by villages, let alone Shires. Even today only a small percentage (3 % is an old figure, so it might be higher) speak the Queen's English (RP) without explicitly training it. A Geordie and someone from Devon sound extremely different today, imagine 400 years ago. To say "this is like English sounded 400 years ago" is basically impossible. At best you could say "this is how the English of someone from Warwickshire who lived for many years in London might have sounded".

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It wasn't a good idea to get into Hellblazer before reading the Saga of the Swamp Thing, there is an entire subplot about Alec needing John's body to impregnate Abigail and uh

I've thought about reading that for ages, guess I should finally look into it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Samuringa posted:

It wasn't a good idea to get into Hellblazer before reading the Saga of the Swamp Thing, there is an entire subplot about Alec needing John's body to impregnate Abigail and uh

Yeah, it's really good. Moore's run on it is legendary for a reason.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:kimchi:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Samuringa posted:

God the first arc or two of Hellblazer is so good when you have the context of Swamp Thing, because you literally see a magician's trick and then you peek beyond the curtain and see all the wires and just where everything could have collapsed.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Samuringa posted:

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is my favorite comic. You should absolutely read it, and it's the season to do it. However, you should be aware that particular plot point doesn't happen until Moore is gone, well into Rick Veitch's run as the writer. It's in Infernal Triangles, which is the third trade after the conclusion of the Moore comics. Do not read Veitch before Moore though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lightning Lord posted:

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is my favorite comic. You should absolutely read it, and it's the season to do it. However, you should be aware that particular plot point doesn't happen until Moore is gone, well into Rick Veitch's run as the writer. It's in Infernal Triangles, which is the third trade after the conclusion of the Moore comics. Do not read Veitch before Moore though.

Oh, I think I get it now. The Hellblazzer trade I bought contains Hellblazzer 7-10 and Swamp Thing 76 & 77, which is a little bit of this Infernal Triangles storyline.

But I didn't knew it took place after the Saga, that's another three trades or so to add to the list. Thanks for clearing that up.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samuringa posted:

And then there's a subplot about John needing the Swamp Thing so he can get high.

Mr. Maltose posted:

God the first arc or two of Hellblazer is so good when you have the context of Swamp Thing, because you literally see a magician's trick and then you peek beyond the curtain and see all the wires and just where everything could have collapsed.
I really like Constantine's and Swamp Thing's relationship. John always tries to piss him off and it always works, then Swamp Thing swears that this is the last time they'll ever meet until John manages to trick him into helping him one more time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nothing but respect for my king and (former) Queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I knew that Malibu comics existed and vaguely recall seeing issues of Prime back in the day.

I think I might have heard once that there was a Sega CD game based on the character.

I did not know there was a 7 minute prog epic about the character on that disc.

• Locked thread