Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm excited for all aspects of the Idolocalypse. Sunshine of course, but the Jupiter ep of SideM was really good, and I've high hopes that WUG can return to form after the disappointing movies with a full season to work with again. I still need to finish the first season of Cingeki, actually, so I guess that's the redheaded stepchild of the four horsemen. Heck, maybe I'll get back to Aistars to round out my idol experience.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
X

X

X

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

idgi

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
well, I think I probably get the idea :diagasp:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Futaba Anzu posted:

i like idsol;l animres

:same:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Polsy posted:

This looked better in my head than the actual result, but I'm not letting this effort go to waste.

are you counting the new MLs?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Asselin seems good

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Some of us had more important idol things to attend to today, so I'll be hosting a rerun of the idolwatch tomorrow at 1pm PDT/4pm EDT/8pm UTC https://cytu.be/r/super_idol_time

This is happening in 3 hours! I'll have some sort of pregame running a half hour before. Come watch idols! Maybe again, that's OK!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
https://twitter.com/genbukurono/status/919496402543173632

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

me

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
no

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
some are better

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The channel we idolwatch in plays imas MVs 24/7 when it's not otherwise in use (with some vocaloid MVs mixed in), maybe check some of that out to see what you're after.

Though really, jp media prices are insane, my advice is to listen in other ways and support the franchise by spending your money on other things.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
also check out the rhythm games, either Starlight Stage or Theater Days

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
idols....

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Idolish7 is off to a pretty solid start, we'll see how that goes. 0048, otoh, is fantastic. Ridiculous in all the right ways. Really looking forward to more of that. PRRL also seems pretty good. It's like a 2:1 mix of aikatsu and precure, and heck, I like both of these things.

I'm excited, for idols.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Polsy is the Idolmaster.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I finally finished the first season of Aikatsu Stars! So did Allarion (and the bastard beat me by like 15 minutes :argh:)!

It's never been a formal part of our idolwatch, but it aired throughout 2017 (and it continues!), so I'mma ramble about it here. Also I'd probably talk about it here either way.

I really liked it! I liked the first season of OG Aikatsu quite a bit too (though I fell off some episodes into the second), but I think I like Aistars more. The rivalry/friendship between Yume and Laura (Rola?) really drives the whole show, and they have great chemistry. I was a bit worried that Yume's childhood friend Koharu would be put in the same role as OGkatsu's Aoi, since she was a bit bland for it, but once Laura was introduced it became apparent pretty quickly that she was the second MC. Our other main girls, Mahiru and Ako, are also pretty great, especially Ako. It's a drat shame she took so long to be introduced, and took longer still to really come into her own. The more even roles for the 4 main girls and the decision to have a top idol group with their own fun interactions instead of one top idol to strive for really work to Aistars's advantage over OGkatsu.

A thing I really like about Aikatsu, OG and Stars both, is how well they show the journey from newbie to veteran. Our protagonists start out as newbies, and the top idol senpai are cool veterans who seem totally out of reach, but as our girls get experience, this changes. But, because of how many episodes they have to work with, the transition can be really subtle. The season covers a year and aired over a year, and by the end of it, the cool senpai who seemed so distant now seem almost within reach of our girls. It's really neat, and wouldn't at all have the same impact in a shorter series.

A thing I really like about Aistars is how it pays homage to OGkatsu traditions without feeling 100% bound to them.

Yume and Laura have a very close friendship/rivalry, but you gotta have pretty strong goggles to see the yuri. Until the movie. The movie abandons all subtlety.

The character designs are really cute, even for background characters.

Ako is really good.

I've rambled enough, but I enjoyed this a lot, and I'm excited for season 2, which is already 40 eps in. I believe Stars is scheduled to end entirely in 10 more episodes...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I think when I prize the keys to the idolwatch out of Oreos's cold dead hands I might stream OGkatsu. It's been long enough that I've forgotten a lot, and I bet I could get past the doldrums of new protagonists finding their feet if I had nakama watching with me.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Allarion posted:

Last time on idolw@tch!

All this and more tomorrow starting at around 1 pm pst/4 pm est/9 pm utc. Come early to hang out and listen to MVs and maybe another episode of whatever anime (it'll be Slow Start) I suddenly feel like streaming.

https://cytu.be/r/kotori

This! but again! For anyone (like me) that missed yesterday or (not like me) wants to see it again! Same time, but today! Different channel!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
IDOLS ARE SO GOOD

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
WHAT AN INCREDIBLY GOOD IDOLWATCH THAT WAS

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I can't believe oreos is aikatsu'ing withoutus

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Three eps in, and I'm really not feeling Uma Musume. Mediocre sports anime, subpar CGDCT show, poor idol show. I'll probably still show up for the preshow, but only with half attention.

Kiratto seems alright. It was very much a rushed setup ep, so I'll give it its fair shot.

I adored Friends. The character designs are great, and our leads are both very charming in different ways. It's cute as heck, and I'm super excited for more.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
much excitement

https://twitter.com/imas_anime/status/985488408863621120

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
someday I hope to have a medal pinned to my chest by General Idol

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
in that moment, she channeled all of our feelings

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
oreos exercising his tyranny over the idolwatch

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Today, I, like many God-fearing idolaters, will be attending a delayed screening of the Hakodate Unit Carnival, so I'm planning to host a rerun of today's w@tch tomorrow.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
nice

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I can't believe oreos is cheating on the idolwatch

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I feel like with some effort you could cut it off short and "scroll" with it to make a nice loop...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
noooooooo

https://twitter.com/cowboybibimbop/status/1007506137271263232

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
NO MORE.

No more shall we bow to the whims of the tyrant Allarion! A new new day of idols is dawning. The people rise up and cast off the chains of oppression! Yes, we will keep what was good of the old ways, but we shall cast aside the bad, and the creepy, and the horses.

By the will of the people, I have seized control of the idolwatch from that cruel despot. This season we're looking at:

・Pripara (ongoing, two eps per week, from episode 18)
・Aikatsu Friends (ongoing, from episode 12)
・Music Girls (seasonal, new!)
・Revue Starlight (seasonal, new!)
・Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls Theater season 3 (short, filler)
・BanG Dream! Garupa☆Pico (short, filler)

I refer you to the oppressor's fine write-ups for the new stuff.

Same idol time (Saturdays 1 pm pdt/4 pm edt/8 pm utc), new idol channel. I'll have some kind of pregame ~25 minutes before. Maybe something new, maybe something old.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 12, 2018

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

But when are we watching king of prism can’t

Perhaps a special watch for Sunday?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Let's do it. Unless folks just can't make it, this Sunday, same time/channel, let's w@tch King of Prism and catch up on the AiFriends we've missed.

King of Prism is a spinoff of the fantastic Rainbow Live that we recently finished streaming, following the boys!

quote:

The Prism Show unit Over The Rainbow succeeds in its debut. Aiming to become like the boy band, more students enroll in Edel Rose. Hiro and the others begin practice for the upcoming Prism King Cup, an event that is held once every four years. However, a rival organization similar to Edel Rose called "Schwarz Rose" appears... The boys fight to become Prism King, the one who can make girls' hearts throb the most.

Also, it's looking likely that Revue Starlight subs won't be out by tomorrow, in which case I'll sub in the Music Girls OVA from a few years back. We streamed it before, but it's been a while and I don't really remember it. Also also, I'm thinking Cells at Work for the pregame.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Due to unavoidable obligations, I can't do the next two Saturdays. Therefore, the idolwatch for this and next weekend will be at the same time, but on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
see, the difference here, is that oreos would have had your head for that sass