Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
smh if you don't maintain a userstyle

mine makes the post font bigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Glorgnole posted:

lol that it's possible to erase an entire user and all their posts, and that doing this extremely breaks threads they posted in

i mean, `delete from comments where user_id=69` and it also makes sense that decade-old forum software on mysql with a bunch of denormalization into memcache tacked on would have issues

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

stinch posted:

another forum i used to visit a similar thing would happen. the number of posts in a thread was stored somewhere, i guess for optimisation. weird stuff happens and the pre calculated value gets out of sync, now the thread pagination is messed up.

yeah it usually gets denormalized on to the thread model so you can show the post count and page links in the forum index without a bunch of extra disk seeks

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Roosevelt posted:

genuinely curious how this optimizes anything

you have to seek to (an index on) the posts table (which is the biggest and busiest table) to count the posts in a thread

you seek to 40 rows in the threads table to load the thread index in a forum

if you want to load counts for those that's another 40 hits on a posts index

forumdisplay.php gets hit more than newreply.php

(under non-fucky operation) the count only changes when newreply.php is hit

therefore you can save a lot of index hits by storing the post count on the threads table and only updating it when necessary

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
if it was on a good database and not mysql you'd have a matview for the thread index that calculates and updates post counts without a lock whenever the posts table is inserted, updated, or deleted

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

i guess that's why sometimes you get a stuck post huh. the post count gets desynched from the post db?

probably, the forums are php and mysql, which are like the opposite of data integrity, and that's without the extra caching layers that represent more places to have inconsistencies

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

George posted:

amberpos should continue to be a mirror to the users soul

was gonna say amberpos renders just great for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!