Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Uber gonna get its poo poo kicked in

quote:

At a March 11 meeting, Levandowski told Uber that he had the Google disks. As Levandowski relayed it to Stroz, Uber CEO Kalanick "wanted nothing to do with the disks and told Levandowski to 'do what he needed to do.'" At that point, he took the disks to Works in Oakland, where he said he watched the disks get shredded. He said he paid cash and got no receipt.

[...]

Stroz Friedberg visited Shred Works to confirm Levandowski's visit. No one there recognized a picture of Levandowski. A manager couldn't find any receipt from March 2016 with Levandowski's name on it, including any receipt from March 11, the day he said he went to Shred Works. The manager did find a receipt from March 14, 2016 that indicated five disks were destroyed and paid for in cash. The signature on that receipt was illegible.

quote:

Levandowski also claimed that he had paid in cash and had not received a receipt. But the shredding facility told investigators that “all destructions are recorded on a triplicate, carbon-copy receipt” with details about date, time, service and payment. Although investigators did find a record of five disks being destroyed and paid for in cash, the shredding happened on an entirely different day in March, and the signature was “illegible.”

[...]

The report implies a few times that their subjects purposefully obstructed their investigation. It notes that they could not examine Colin Sebern’s — the chief operating engineer — iPhone, because it was encrypted. “During his interview, Sebern provided Stroz Friedberg with a list of possible passwords, but none of them worked.” They did examine Sebern’s MacBook Pro, and found that “interestingly, 57 gigabytes of additional free space” became available right before his interview with Stroz Friedberg.

[...]
The investigation also found that Lior Ron had deleted a file labeled “Chauffer win plan.docx” from his computer shortly before his interview, a move that Stroz drily described as “poor judgment given the protocol in place.” (Chauffeur was the name of Google X’s self-driving car project, a team that Ron, Levandowski, and many others at Otto came from.)

And a simple classic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Uhgg that one time u ran my pursuit through the wash instead of taking it to a drycleaner :doh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

Dennis Rader, otherwise known as the BTK killer, thought he had some sort of understanding with Wichita, Kan., police Lt. Ken Land­wehr, head of the mul­ti­agency task force that was trying to catch him.

In the weeks before his arrest, Rader had asked po­lice whether he could communicate with them via a floppy disk without being traced to a particular computer.

Police responded by taking out an ad in the classified section of the local newspaper, as Rader had instructed, saying “Rex, it will be OK” to communicate via floppy disk.

A few weeks later, such a disk from BTK was sent to a local television station. The disk was quickly traced to Rader through a computer at his church. DNA testing soon confirmed that Rader was BTK, a name he took for himself that stands for bind, torture and kill.

Within days, the serial killer who had terrorized the Wichita area beginning in the 1970s was in custody. BTK had killed a total of 10 people before seemingly vanishing into thin air in 1991. He resurfaced two years before his arrest, communicating with the police and the media, after a news report speculated he was dead or in prison.

Rader, who turned 61 on March 9, is now serving 10 consecutive life sentences in a Kansas state prison after pleading guilty last June to 10 counts of first degree murder.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

In the weeks before his arrest, Rader had asked po­lice whether he could communicate with them via a floppy disk without being traced to a particular computer.

Police responded by taking out an ad in the classified section of the local newspaper, as Rader had instructed, saying “Rex, it will be OK” to communicate via floppy disk.

lmao be glad that these people aren't smart.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

COMRADES posted:

how the hell did the Zodiac Killer make it all the way to the Senate without being caught though

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

COMRADES posted:

seriously

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The President of the United States posted:

“No one is more conservative than me.”
“No one is stronger on the Second Amendment than me.”
“No one respects women more than me. No one reads the Bible more than me.”
“There’s nobody more pro-Israel than I am.”
“There’s nobody that’s done so much for equality as I have.”
“There’s nobody who feels more strongly about women’s health issues.”
“Nobody knows more about taxes than me, maybe in the history of the world.”
“I have studied the Iran deal in great detail, greater by far than anyone else.”
“Nobody’s ever been more successful than me.”
“Nobody knows banking better than I do.”
“Nobody knows more about debt than I do.”
“Nobody’s bigger or better at the military I am.”
“I am the least racist person you’ll ever meet.”
“Nobody knows the system better than me.”
“Nobody knows politicians better than me.”
“Nobody builds better walls than me.”
“Nobody knows more about trade than me.”
“There is nobody more against Obamacare than me.”
“Nobody is better on humility than me.”
“Nobody has better toys than me.”
“I can be more presidential than anybody. I would say more presidential, and I’ve said this a couple of times, more presidential other than the great Abe Lincoln.”

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

And a simple classic:

fuckin' lol forever at the kokoro wish of someone who blew a million dollars on anime

also

steve did us a service by demonstrating that even unlimited money can't make juice diets cure cancer

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Pick you're alright.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Here is the story of the man who inspired Dunning and Kruger to perform their famous study:

quote:

At five foot six and 270 pounds, the bank robber was impossible to miss. On April 19, 1995, he hit two Pittsburgh banks in broad daylight. Security cameras picked up good images of his face — he wore no mask — and showed him holding a gun to the teller. Police made sure the footage was broadcast on the local eleven o’clock news. A tip came in within minutes, and just after midnight, the police were knocking on the suspect’s door in McKeesport. Identified as McArthur Wheeler, he was incredulous. “But I wore the juice,” he said.
Wheeler told police he rubbed lemon juice on his face to make it invisible to security cameras. Detectives concluded he was not delusional, not on drugs — just incredibly mistaken.
Wheeler knew that lemon juice is used as an invisible ink. Logically, then, lemon juice would make his face invisible to cameras. He tested this out before the heists, putting juice on his face and snapping a selfie with a Polaroid camera. There was no face in the photo! (Police never figured that out. Most likely Wheeler was no more competent as a photographer than he was as a bank robber.) Wheeler reported one problem with his scheme. The lemon juice stung his eyes so badly that he could barely see.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Weird, I gave that exact speech to a girl once. Only instead of an unfinished game, I gave her an unfinished nu metal mix cd.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

I heard that if you actually read this entire thing then you'll die in 7 days

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

charms posted:

but you'll want to die right away

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Pick posted:

but you'll want to die right away

I know I do

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

charms posted:

I'm safe then.

If you told me the last few panels were written in an obscure European language that looked just like English but the words all meant different things, I'd believe you.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
What's the story on that dumb comic?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Troy Duffy qualifies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc2GYck0jEA

Dude was handed a career on a silver platter and took a big steaming dump all over it because he thought he was a Big Man.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

charms posted:

If I start now I'll have two weeks to live.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Miserable Maid posted:

What's the story on that dumb comic?

the person who had a shocking degree of influence on the presence of video games and anime online, period, and who was paid 1 million in like 1999 money for their website, is some sort of... poly weeb? with an unreadable singularity webcomic calld Unicorn Jelly and who blames everyone else for not catering to them 24/7 especially her two husbands, one of whom is FLATTERINGLY portrayed as the ponytail bearer above who was supposed to code her a jrpg

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Growing up in a household that was very much invested in the Girl Scouts I always thought that the way that their founder effectively deafened herself through her own hubris and neglect was hilarious.

Juliette Low posted:

I had a series of ear infections and was losing patience with "traditional" medicine. I had heard that silver nitrate was the "newest" treatment, and I insisted that the doctor use it on me. Unfortunately, it was too powerful a mixture, and it caused me to go deaf in that ear. Later on at my wedding, a truly freaky thing happened; some of the rice people threw got caught in my other ear. I didn't want to take the time to see a doctor, since I was leaving on my honeymoon. Well, the rice festered in my ear and caused quite an infection. When it was finally removed, the instrument they used to take it out made me deaf in that ear too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

Growing up in a household that was very much invested in the Girl Scouts I always thought that the way that their founder effectively deafened herself through her own hubris and neglect was hilarious.

I agree that's dumb but at least she had the excuse of being born in 1860 when a lot of medicine was probably crap nuts

Also woah she had a nice painting done in the 1880s!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

I agree that's dumb but at least she had the excuse of being born in 1860 when a lot of medicine was probably crap nuts

Also woah she had a nice painting done in the 1880s!

yeah Hughes is really good

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

well. Was good. At painting. Pre-death.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
All Christian Scientists. They're the ones that don't go to doctors. "There is no life, truth, intelligence, or substance in matter."
- founder, Mary Baker Eddy

spinderella fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 4, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a hole-y ghost posted:

yeah Hughes is really good
e: gently caress you google image search!

oh he did do Princess out of School, though, a truly kick rear end painting. yeah dude's work is killer.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

oh gently caress that the dude who painted Lady of Shalott, that is a fuckin bitchin rear end painting
pre raphaelities kick rear end. Well. The few of them that were really good, at least.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
very few but yeah they're some of my favorite paintings even if some of them are kinda hokey (lookin at u frank dicksee)

haha omg i never

frank dicksee

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Remember that time when Howard Hughes accidentally killed a good chunk of golden age Hollywood by shooting a film on nuclear testing sites and then paying to have the radioactive dirt trucked back to Hollywood for reshoots? I really hope somebody was fired for that blunder!

quote:

The exterior scenes were shot near St. George, Utah, 137 miles (220 km) downwind of the United States government's Nevada National Security Site. In 1953, 11 above-ground nuclear weapons tests occurred at the site as part of Operation Upshot–Knothole. The cast and crew spent many difficult weeks at the site, and Hughes later shipped 60 tons of dirt back to Hollywood in order to match the Utah terrain and lend realism to studio re-shoots.[10] The filmmakers knew about the nuclear tests[10] but the federal government assured residents that the tests caused no hazard to public health.[11]

Director Powell died of cancer in January 1963, seven years after the film's release. Armendáriz was diagnosed with kidney cancer in 1960, and killed himself in June 1963 after he learned his condition had become terminal. Hayward, Wayne, and Moorehead all died of cancer in the 1970s. Hoyt died of lung cancer in 1991. Skeptics point to other factors such as the wide use of tobacco – Wayne and Moorehead in particular were heavy smokers, and Wayne himself believed his lung cancer to have been a result of his six-packs-a-day cigarette habit.[12] The cast and crew totaled 220 people. By the end of 1980, as ascertained by People magazine, 91 of them had developed some form of cancer and 46 had died of the disease. Several of Wayne and Hayward's relatives who visited the set also had cancer scares. Michael Wayne developed skin cancer, his brother Patrick had a benign tumor removed from his breast, and Hayward's son Tim Barker had a benign tumor removed from his mouth.[11][13]

Reportedly, Hughes felt guilty about his decisions regarding the film's production,[10] particularly over the decision to film at a hazardous site. He bought every print of the film for $12 million and kept it out of circulation for many years until Universal Pictures purchased the film from his estate in 1979.[7][14] The Conqueror, along with Ice Station Zebra,[15] is said to be one of the films Hughes watched endlessly during his last years.[16]

Dr. Robert Pendleton, then a professor of biology at the University of Utah, is reported to have stated in 1980, "With these numbers, this case could qualify as an epidemic. The connection between fallout radiation and cancer in individual cases has been practically impossible to prove conclusively. But in a group this size you'd expect only 30-some cancers to develop. With 91 cancer cases, I think the tie-in to their exposure on the set of The Conqueror would hold up in a court of law." Several cast and crew members, as well as relatives of those who died, considered suing the government for negligence, claiming it knew more about the hazards in the area than it let on.[11][17]

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

the person who had a shocking degree of influence on the presence of video games and anime online, period, and who was paid 1 million in like 1999 money for their website, is some sort of... poly weeb? with an unreadable singularity webcomic calld Unicorn Jelly and who blames everyone else for not catering to them 24/7 especially her two husbands, one of whom is FLATTERINGLY portrayed as the ponytail bearer above who was supposed to code her a jrpg

i thought it was called Pastel Defender Heliotrope

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Remember that time when Howard Hughes accidentally killed a good chunk of golden age Hollywood by shooting a film on nuclear testing sites and then paying to have the radioactive dirt trucked back to Hollywood for reshoots? I really hope somebody was fired for that blunder!

How the gently caress do you smoke six packs a day? You'd have to have a cigarette in your mouth from the second you woke up until the second you went to sleep.

e: Assuming you slept 8 hours a night, that's 7.5 per hour. That means you'd be lighting one every 8 minutes.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 4, 2017

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

very few but yeah they're some of my favorite paintings even if some of them are kinda hokey (lookin at u frank dicksee)

haha omg i never

frank dicksee
over the top hokeyness is part of why the pre raphs are good actually

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

a hole-y ghost posted:

Looks like an awesome smash fest to me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i thought it was called Pastel Defender Heliotrope

Oh she did both turns out

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Actually it's called Boppin' for the Amiga.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a hole-y ghost posted:

drat that poo poo owns. i do wish they had to credit the art interns who actually did the marble and some of the bullshit stuff while he got to focus on faces and stuff (famous artists have done this since forever)

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

drat that poo poo owns. i do wish they had to credit the art interns who actually did the marble and some of the bullshit stuff while he got to focus on faces and stuff (famous artists have done this since forever)
Well yeah but they get to learn stuff and if you try to paint one of those huge things all by yourself chances are you'll change so much over the course of it it will look inconsistent. I've been one of those intern guys :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
i thought it was going to be a compilation of all your gbs threads :(

• Locked thread