Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

good. black clover is good. its like fairy tail, except good instead of bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Calibanibal posted:

good. black clover is good. its like fairy tail, except good instead of bad
clearing the Fairy Tail bar is not difficult

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This.

I uh...

I have some bad news for you.

Pretty much this.

If you enjoy MHA, you'll probably enjoy this. It's just plain good.

Noooope.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

ijyt posted:

Noooope.

Aiite, well if your only complaint is "the mc screams a lot", your complaint has been noted.

Why are you still here if you don't like it?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the ire this series/people enjoying it inspires in people is equally funny and puzzling

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

clearing the Fairy Tail bar is not difficult
Like for real: One Piece has been going on for 9 years longer and has never bored me in the way Fairy Tail did (I dropped it at around the same time I did Bleach). Hell, Miki Yoshikawa (Mashima's former assistant) has gone on to do far more entertaining manga (while I'm not the biggest fan of Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, Flunk Punk Rumble has a special place in my heart :)). Saying a mainstream comic aimed at the 8 to 13 year-old boys demographic is better than Fairy Tail is like saying that The Simpsons aren't as funny as they used to be before the turn of the century/millennium.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Aiite, well if your only complaint is "the mc screams a lot", your complaint has been noted.

Why are you still here if you don't like it?

Don't like don't read isn't a rule

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Namtab posted:

Don't like don't read isn't a rule
If he wants to have in-depth discussions about why he thinks it's bad, sure!

But if you just come back after a day to post a one-word response, eeeeeeh.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

His screaming is fine

hate the way he stretches syllables and changes pitch while he does it tho

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

i like when he sounds like a racecar

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Looking forward to when he zooms around like a race car.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm down with Earnest Screaming Boy but I did not like the amount of clumsy exposition in this episode and I hope it's just because it's the first episode.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for anyone who hasn't read the manga, it only gets good once the black bulls show up. that's pretty early, but expect the first few episodes to be kinda lovely.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I must've forgotten how expositiony it was, 'cuz i didn't remember chains guy at all.

Also i thought the book like, broke out of the tower and flew to him, it didn't just materialize.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Huh I guess my shounen blinders were on because Asta's voice didn't grate on me at all but I'm sure the voice actor will hit his stride!

I must've forgotten how expositiony it was, 'cuz i didn't remember chains guy at all.

Also i thought the book like, broke out of the tower and flew to him, it didn't just materialize.

It did. The OVA that was released a while back showed his grimoire breaking through the wall to get to Asta. That was easily the cooler way for that to happen

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
It's much cooler, yeah.

Also who else is excited for charmie.

I really wanna see how the va does.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

It's much cooler, yeah.

Also who else is excited for charmie.

I really wanna see how the va does.

I was hoping that captain Yami would have Kazuya Nakai as his VA (Roronoa Zoro), but having Junichi Suwabe (Aizawa from MHA) is a good second choice.

khy fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 6, 2017

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
wow this MC sure is an insufferable prick

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

khy posted:

I was hoping that captain Yami would have Kazuya Nakai as his VA (Roronoa Zoro), but having Junichi Suwabe (Aizawa from MHA) is a good second choice.
Victor :kimchi:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The exposition was more awkward than normal, with everyone talking like they're describing a D&D setting to their friends, but I was feeling the shonen hype at the end of the episode when Yuno acknowledged Asta as his rival and the book appeared so I think I'm in for this one. I need something to tide me over now that we're between MHA seasons.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Jackard posted:

wow this MC sure is an insufferable prick

listen.. asta may be annoying but that doesn't make him a prick, okay!!!?!?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

The exposition was more awkward than normal, with everyone talking like they're describing a D&D setting to their friends, but I was feeling the shonen hype at the end of the episode when Yuno acknowledged Asta as his rival and the book appeared so I think I'm in for this one. I need something to tide me over now that we're between MHA seasons.

Oh, so it's official that we're between seasons now?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oh, so it's official that we're between seasons now?

I mean, season 2 ended and season 3 was announced, so this indefinite span of time would be in between them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dryzen posted:

hitting on nuns makes you a prick

but that's okay because being a good person is not a prerequisite for being a good main character

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kid "hits on" nun once, dubbed prick and bad person

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

If everyone kept on looking down on me and giving me a primer on how magic is so important like they're reading a 9th grader's D&D notes, I'd probably be a loud showoff too.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Dryzen posted:

How do you listen to seven minutes of this dumbass screaming, let alone an entire season??

Maybe, the VA gets better.. no, that line of thinking is a trap!! dont get invested in a bad show - abort. ABORT

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

It is a thing that can grow on people but I'm just saying that he's not a prick just cause he's annoying and screams a lot!!!!!!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Good things about Black Clover:

-Asta is annoying but his relentless positivity is infectious for the rest of the cast and it shows. Asta does NOT brood and it is noticed. It is his least Naruto-like quality and that's why it's probably his best one.

-Asta and Yuno, basically being adoptive siblings actually care a whole lot about eachother and that doesn't change. Yuno, the handsomu perfect hypercompetent rival character is in fact extremely cool, respects and cares about Asta, and isn't lodged up his own rear end.

-Asta and Yuno had to help raise the other orphans and that being the case, Asta is really good with little kids and it's :3: as hell at least for me since I'm an adopted kid too with a large extended family.

-Asta's superpower is basically being buff in a world of wizards who don't even lift. You'd think it'd get old but Asta using his sword to clobber the gently caress out of people who don't realize what it's capable of doesn't get old.

-Two unintroduced characters are so good they could carry the manga almost by themselves, and the rest of the supporting cast is pretty good.

-It does in fact subvert cliches in clever or fun ways off and on.

-The pacing is pretty fast. We'll see if the studio fucks this up.

What's bad:

-Asta is basically this shouty like the entire loving manga almost. If you didn't like him shouting throughout the first episode it's not gonna change much.

-The girls get to do cool stuff more than Naruto ever let them do at this point but they're pretty fanservicey and/or insanely stock archetypes. One coming up is the most textbook tsundere in recent history and I find it pretty boring.

-One of the characters has a obsession with his like 6-7 year-old sister that's written in literally the loving creepiest least funny way possible. It's really bad.

-The villains generally have pretty good designs but aren't terribly compelling.

-The series as a whole is a big jumble of cliches and elements kinda almost directly lifted from other series.

-Asta while nice, is insanely annoying in general and still somehow develops what is turning into a full-fledged harem piled high with almost every -dere archetype you can imagine.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 7, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

-Asta while nice, is insanely annoying in general and still somehow develops what is turning into a full-fledged harem piled high with almost every -dere archetype you can imagine.

And he does not care cause he loves the Nun.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
She is, in all honesty, besto garl.

Oh yeah.

Strange Quark posted:

I mean, season 2 ended and season 3 was announced, so this indefinite span of time would be in between them.
Also, yes squark. I do not follow exactly what happens and when. Season 1 was 2 cour, i wasn't sure if season 2 was 2 cour.
Sue me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
But season 1 was only 1 cour. :confused:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
It wasn't the full 24 eps? I thought it was?

E: whatever the case, myself and at least 2 others in the thread weren't sure, and i don't follow anime news. So.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 7, 2017

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

They sold the gently caress out of the corny "not giving up is my magic!" line. Everything else in the episode was kind of meh but that moment was actually impressive.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFmxsgXqAQg

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
That's beautiful.

Also, i look forward to the epilogue where asta is an old priest running the church with sister Lily.
Stay strong, Asta.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 10, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Okay, realpost:

I'm not sure how all this anime-original content will fit. I hope it's all good, and that they can make it maybe a multi-season show (i doubt it), but they seem to really be trying to pad this out in case it lasts longer.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If they're doing original content already they've hosed up.

They actually have a whole arc they can cram in just about anywhere if they want- it's the light novel. Even the manga references it like it just happened when there was no indication of it ever happening before they referenced it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yeah, i was thinking of that when watching. This is flashback childhood stuff, and it looks like they're adding the trip to the testing place.

Maybe they want more characterization or something? They should probably just stick to the manga though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they aren't rushing to get to the good parts

• Locked thread