Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if this show runs forever and results in boruto dropping in quality, i'm afraid i will have to join the rest of the thread and turn on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I will remain ever hopeful

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Dryzen posted:

I will remain ever hopeful

I'm hopeful, yes. I just don't trust it.
We've been burned before.

I didn't hate this ep, it's just ... yeah, slow. I do kinda like how they can actually spend more time characterizing a lot of the super side characters (like the priest, kinda sad lily didn't get more), but man the pace is just glacial.
Can't wait for the black bulls.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the small good things this week:
- Lily's big water punch has a cross in it
- the first time i laughed at asta proposing, when he was nearly beaten to death and yuno treated it as a sign he was okay
- randomly having to pass through a desert

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yeah, what the gently caress was up with that travel montage. It was WAY too long! It was so long that i only can conclude that :thejoke:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, the manga never really conveyed how far out in the sticks they were. instead, it jumped straight into the main plot and introduced the large cast of characters. i think those are better things to focus on.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh man i cant wait for like 15 episodes of zombie fighting

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

That explains the pacing. That means they'll probably end the year right before the Royal Knight exam. and then pick up season 2 a year or so later when they have more material.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's a shame the pacing is so appallingly slow, since there was some interesting and fun things in this episode! Just, uh, that the most interesting bits were filler is a really bad sign.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It isnt like the manga had an equivalently slow pace. And theres a lot more room to flesh out things that were passed over in the manga

Like my boy goth mime.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yikes that really sucked

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Calibanibal posted:

yikes that really sucked

NO, IT'S GOOD

an actual dog fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 20, 2017

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I'm ok with the things so far, sure its slower paced, but it is also providing a lot of lacking world building that the manga didn't have.

The church for example predates the existence of the wizard king as a position, hell maybe he grew up as an orphan in the church?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only filler worldbuilding i'd be interested in is someone explaining what the heck is up with grimoires.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

AtomikKrab posted:

I'm ok with the things so far, sure its slower paced, but it is also providing a lot of lacking world building that the manga didn't have.

The church for example predates the existence of the wizard king as a position, hell maybe he grew up as an orphan in the church?

Yeah, i liked that bit. But for most people doing a 2 or 3 ep test, i feel like this moves too slow and is likely to be dropped.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lol it really is twin star exorcists

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I feel bad about this show. I like Yuno and I suspect there are other characters I'll come to really like. Heck, I've even come to like Asta for those moments where he's not trying to marry Sister Lily. Like I get this his thing is not giving up but the take-away for me is that is actually not as virtuous as it sounds.

So yeah, there's all this scene-setting and backstory flashback poo poo I don't care about and that I almost sleep through, but then something cool happens towards the end and I get all hyped up. Best moments so far

Episode 1: Yuno acknowledges Asta and Asta gets his grimoire
Episode 2: uh y'know I barely remember this one actually. I think it might have sucked.
Episode 3: Asta breaks that tree and gives that other orphan the best Goku smirk I've ever seen in my life. Also I actually liked the travel montage.

It's basically good whenever Asta and Yuno act as rivals and equals... in fact, this is a way better rivalry than the one in My Hero Academia. But everything else... ehn...

I think I'm going to give it one more episode to be sure.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Don't let the pacing trick you into thinking Yuno's around the whole time. The show is basically Fairy Tail down to the magic guilds and such. They just aren't showing you any of those people or that plot.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

unlike fairy tail, this is good

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
A:

dogsicle posted:

unlike fairy tail, this is good

B:

Angry Grimace posted:

Don't let the pacing trick you into thinking Yuno's around the whole time.

He's gonna show up a lot less.

But he'll be super cool and badass when he does.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Asta gets other cool rivals... and love interests... but it is ok because Asta's heart is pure and only for his one true love.

Also Yuno gets an amazing love interest

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

AtomikKrab posted:

Asta gets other cool rivals... and love interests... but it is ok because Asta's heart is pure and only for his one true love.

Nice—

quote:

Also Yuno gets an amazing love interest

Oh...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dont worry
Shes part of a group that is shorthand for 'best characters'.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Asta is pretty much always shouty and annoying but he plays well off his friends we'll meet here in a couple episodes.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

if the next episode features asta styling on the flashy bronze scooter guy then aight. if not this anime is toast

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Strange Quark posted:

Nice—

Oh...

We already know Asta's true love. Sister Lily.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Calibanibal posted:

if the next episode features asta styling on the flashy bronze scooter guy then aight. if not this anime is toast

I hope it is.
They'll probably find a way to pad it out to ep5 though, then ep6 he meets the other chars.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Calibanibal posted:

Flashy bronze scooter man

Haha yeah gently caress that guy

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

scooter idiot showed up this week and his laugh is glorious. also another really cool cut of asta destroying a dude with his sword

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
So I'm behind on this and have they really not even gotten to the Black Bulls yet because gently caress that pacing if so.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Angry Grimace posted:

So I'm behind on this and have they really not even gotten to the Black Bulls yet because gently caress that pacing if so.

They showed up this episode

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The one bit of info we got about the Black Bulls is not a good sign for the quality going forward. So, the Black Bulls are just wholesale the Fairy Tail guild, huh? When you're taking ideas from Fairy Tail, though... that's a pretty worrying sign.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

The one bit of info we got about the Black Bulls is not a good sign for the quality going forward. So, the Black Bulls are just wholesale the Fairy Tail guild, huh? When you're taking ideas from Fairy Tail, though... that's a pretty worrying sign.

if your one point of comparison is "blows poo poo up," sure. i haven't retained a ton of the FT lore but iirc Fairy Tail is an immensely powerful and renowned guild in that world, only looked down upon by a stuffy magic council. meanwhile the Black Bulls are a trash heap of "defective" people that even citizens just trying out for knighthood look down upon. the particular position the Bulls occupy is more relevant with later character arcs so i would say their defining characteristic is more of an underdog/unwanted by lovely classist society than "causes property damage," though that is the only explicit information about them this episode.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dragonatrix posted:

The Bulls are very Fairy Tailish in that they have a reputation for causing more issues than they solve but as mentioned they're basically a bunch of rejects and fuckups.

Really early scanlations took liberties with the name and gave the Bulls a far better name IMO.

The full name of the order properly translated is "The Black Bull's Rod". Yeah, yeah, I know.

The scanlators originally called them "The Black Sheep's Crook", which is a much cooler and apropos name IMO.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah they are Fairy Tail in that they are wierdo's and cause problems. But the other squads do have wierdo's in them (Just not as many as the Black Bulls and those wierdo's don't tend to be screwups). And unlike Fairy Tail they are looked down on. Fairy Tail was considered to be the best of the best in it's series. Were the Black Bulls are considered the worst of the 9 Squads. Tending to get the rejects that no one else wants.

The squads are ranked with a point system that tallies annually. And the Black Bulls have always gotten last place. Were Fairy Tail tends to win at whatever they do. The Black Bulls do not.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the thing is, the black bulls aren't really known for causing mass destruction. they are known as being incompetent troublemakers. heck, giant, catastrophic destructive magic is sometimes presented as a point of pride for the more elite magic knights because it is only possible due to their innate magical capacity.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So Ep 4 was ok but i really wish they had put more feeling into him smacking the gently caress out of that guy, the sound really didnt sell how much of a big deal that should have been

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Scarecow posted:

So Ep 4 was ok but i really wish they had put more feeling into him smacking the gently caress out of that guy, the sound really didnt sell how much of a big deal that should have been

At least that 20 seconds was the coolest 20 seconds in the entire show, aside from the last 20 seconds of Asta swinging his sword on the chain guy.

Basically the only good part of the anime is when Asta is fighting

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the thing is, the black bulls aren't really known for causing mass destruction. they are known as being incompetent troublemakers. heck, giant, catastrophic destructive magic is sometimes presented as a point of pride for the more elite magic knights because it is only possible due to their innate magical capacity.

Yeah they're all lazy, incredibly disrespectful, look and/or act super weird, all of them outcasts in one way or another. Being that the upper Magic knight houses are mostly for nobles, black bulls get the rattiest, scrappiest recruits.
They're all massive sincere fuckups and I love each and every one.

Except one.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Starting to pick up some steam

And of course asta gets to dunk on some fools

• Locked thread