Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Seanzor posted:

Content: I loathe traditional Agile user story syntax; when our team switched from waterfall to Agile a few years ago, all of our tickets were titled in accordance with scripture, and it was infuriatingly difficult to parse through a sprint/backlog full of tens/hundreds of tickets that all read like "As a user I want [awkwardly-phrased description of feature]".

I worked with a bunch of developers who loved this syntax. But our backlog was full of poo poo they'd written like "As a developer I want to rearchitect the history_archive_encrypt module so that it is better" or "as an operator I want to deploy version 1.6.1r16 to the QA environment". There wasn't any evil PM asking them to do it... :(

Actually, the PMs at that company were pretty good: any feature they requested always came with some kind of justification. Like, if they wanted a bigger button there would be a comment from the new UX person. Or if they wanted some new feature they'd have done a user study that indicated that people liked it. It was pretty cool.

Then the next place I was at all the features were justified as "I think this would be good". It was not great for morale to look at the Google Analytics graphs showing that the feature we were enhancing was used by ZERO of our users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread