Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughlander
May 11, 2005

My favorite was the PM that wrote most stories in the form of:

As a <User>
I Want <bleh>
So that Money.

"So That Money"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

duck monster posted:

The problem is , Scrum and other Agile methods can be even worse when done half baked or pillaged for bits that make managers happy without the bits that make developers happy.

Like, the other day I had one of the advertising people demand I have some crazy complicated feature done "in a week" . I told him its impossible without doing some fairly gnarly server side work first and he tried to shut me down saying "Spending time on architecture is un-agile, just implement it! If its not done in a sprint its not a deliverable.

I ended up telling him to gently caress off.

Unfortunately this sort of thing is why our back ends now a total clusterfuck. Never given time to actually do it right. Never given time to go back and fix things, and when there is time, its all putting out fires caused by the poo poo pushed on us from above.

The irony is, if we where given time to get the foundations right, all this other poo poo they want to mash on would be straightforward and elegant to implement.

Also: gently caress rails with a rusty fork.

Who has your back there? I know that where I am and have been the only answer that should fly is, “You prioritize the backlog, we’ll deliver based on the velocity of it.” Tasks get more complex the worse the architecture is. Though for my new project we’re just starting to get tech debt tasks onto the sprint board so we’ll see how that goes.

• Locked thread