Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I was surprised how much I liked it, but I also don't care very much about people from outside the empire so I don't know how useful it will be. The stuff about living in the wilderness might be useful if my campaign ever moves away from court or major cities.

Still, actually addressing humans that exist outside of society, but not from an unimaginably distant foreign place, it a good addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
No Forest-Killers material? Sad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

No Forest-Killers material? Sad.

They get a sidebar about what their deal is and it's ironic that the only thing they're actually wanted for is poaching on Imperial lands. The murder and theft nobody really cares about officially.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

They get a sidebar about what their deal is and it's ironic that the only thing they're actually wanted for is poaching on Imperial lands. The murder and theft nobody really cares about officially.

Nice!

Lol in 4e they had by far the best Ronin technique.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
All I know is that folks be salty about the amount (or rather lack thereof) of material on the Dragon Clan.

I will say that Europe got decent access to the hard copies of WotW and AiR near their release dates which is nice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Terratina posted:

All I know is that folks be salty about the amount (or rather lack thereof) of material on the Dragon Clan.

That is odd. I'm not sure what the Dragon have to do with 'the wilds.' I'd figure them for being in the Shinsei book or similar.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

That is odd. I'm not sure what the Dragon have to do with 'the wilds.' I'd figure them for being in the Shinsei book or similar.

I think the expection stems from Shadowlands being the Shadowlands plus Crab book, Court of Stone being the Court plus Crane book, Celestial Realms being the Magical Stuff plus Phoenix Book and so on.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Also, the back ad copy specifically mentions 'This book also taps into the history of the esoteric Dragon Clan', so it's absolutely the wilderness+Dragon book, like all the others have been.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tsilkani posted:

Also, the back ad copy specifically mentions 'This book also taps into the history of the esoteric Dragon Clan', so it's absolutely the wilderness+Dragon book, like all the others have been.

They do get a fun new school with the Agasha Ascetics, I believe it is.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
So what are all the new schools introduced in Writ of the Wilds?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dick Burglar posted:

So what are all the new schools introduced in Writ of the Wilds?

Dragonfly courtier/shugenja school, courtier/monk school, Naga Seer, Nezumi Tattered Ear Explorer, Tengu Mask of Air Monk/Sage and Yobanjin Artisan/Bushi (pony-riding trappers).

There also seems like a fair bit on the Dragon Clan in the book. It's about twenty pages' worth. Is that less than other clans get?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I'm gonna start my first game as a PC. It's surprisingly hard to find info on what type of game it is--apparently there's combat but that's not the main focus? I can find a lot of info on the background but not a ton on what your average session might look like.

I'd love to hear fun stories about cool poo poo any of you did during a game!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The "cliche" start is that you're Emerald magistrates, essentially members of the Emprie's FBI, who go around and solve problems using smooth talking, magical invocations, and brutal clashes of steel in varying measures.

A few sample adventures are:
The Magistrates track an evil blood mage into the demonic wasteland to the Empire's west, trying to stop them before they can complete their dread ritual that will enslave hundreds of souls that are trapped in a spiritual limbo.

The Magistrates go look for an important Noble who has disappeared in a city known for its lax approach to honor and discipline and recover him with minimal public scandal.

The Magistrates are invited to a wedding between two Great Clans and make sure that the people who want to see the marriage disrupted and the clans driven to war are held at bay.

In the Marriage scenario, the first session might go something like.
:
Receive invitations.
Ask around about the couple to ID potential problems.
Pick out a gift.
Mingle with guests
Note problem guests for further investigation
Party time! Depending on the Clans getting married, activities could range from poetry readings (traditional) to wrestling (scandalous!).
Complications arise ranging from armed attack to scandalous gossip. Gotta keep the peace!
To be continued next session with gift giving and other complications to come.

While easier said than done, personal conflicts that complicate but don't directly conflict with your assignment like "reminding your character that she really should be getting married soon" and "one of the guests is the bastard duelist who killed your brother, and he's just sitting over their looking smug and comfortable" can be mixed in for taste.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Well, the tradition continues.
It's the eleventh year of writing L5R horror stories for Halloween. I started this tradition under AEG and it's continued ever since, even under FFG, and even now. I humbly submit this year's (unsanctioned, unofficial, non-canon) story: "She Had Enough," by yours truly.
I hope you enjoy, and Happy Halloween!

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I liked this story.

Playing in my first Adventures in Rokugan tomorrow. Time to see how the courtier class fits in 5E.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

So it's been a long time coming but I'm finally getting around to running some L5R games.

Just went through character creation with a group tonight and ended the following group all attending a winter court of a minor lord;
A Soshi Illusionist tasked with causing unrest in the peasantry to gradually destabilize the area but who really wants to see something big happen,
a Moto Conqueror who, as part of an ongoing blood feud with the Soshi Illusionist's family, has been sent there to kill him without being caught and who craves luxurious goods and finery,
a Bayushi Deathdealer who has been traded to the lord to act as a general enforcer/headman who dreams of leading forces in a battle,
and a Soshuro Infiltrator who is supposed to be finding and stealing (or destroying) some old scrolls who is aching for a meaningful experience with an entity from the spirit world.

I had some plans for problems to arise but I think that these folks are going to do all the problem creating for themselves.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Three Scorpion and a Unicorn? Yeah, you're not going to have to invent many problems for them. They'll do it for you.

...sheesh, I really miss playing L5R.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Trip report!

We had our first session last night, the party meeting up at a waystation and getting trapped there by bad weather with some other NPCs who are also going up the mountain.

On the way up, they spent a lot of the time trying to prank each other until they had to fight a bear that seems to be tainted by some kind of blood magic.... Now they've already decided to take a longer route to get to the castle because the nearest town might smell bad.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Looks like L5R is relaunching this year at Gencon. They have announced 2 new boardgames, a videogame, artbook, comics and novels.

https://www.legendofthefiverings.com/news

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Oh neat, a L5R video game! The setting lends itself really well to a CRPG sort of –

quote:

a single-player roguelite autobattler
:what:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Mechayahiko posted:

Looks like L5R is relaunching this year at Gencon. They have announced 2 new boardgames, a videogame, artbook, comics and novels.

https://www.legendofthefiverings.com/news

It's a shame that the videogame is just an autobattler. The setting really deserves the Baldur's Gate or maybe even Crusader Kings treatment. I wonder how many companies throughout the years approached them about licensing.

Also no new card game seems strange, I guess they learned from Netrunner about farming IPs to other companies though. Also possible they didn't want anything competing with Unlimited.

I guess it's nice to see them expanding the IP though.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

At least the dungeon crawler board game will be neat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So they're rebooting the setting. Again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Could be a vampire survivors-like.

Personally I'd do a 8 or 16-bit style jrpg inspired by the SaGa series about gathering the 7 Thunders and fighting Fu Leng.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Blockhouse posted:

So they're rebooting the setting. Again.

We indeed will now have a 4th L5R continuity.

They'll end up crisising at this rate.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

HidaO-Win posted:

We indeed will now have a 4th L5R continuity.

They'll end up crisising at this rate.

Remember when Daidoji Uji came back from an alternate timeline?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

At GenCon. The River of Gold game is a perfectly pleasant Eurogame.

You can do one action each turn:
Build a market for money
Move your boat, triggering every market adjacent to you when you're done moving.
Supply one of your customers with goods, claim their bonus.

Moving down the river gets you money, victory points, goods, and favor

Goods can be given to customers for points and upgrades.

You determine how far you can move and what region you can build in by rolling a d6. You can nudge it up and down by spending favor.

Releasing next year at GenCon.

They had a demo of the Adventures in Rokugan, but I'm with a buddy, so I'll do that tomorrow to see how the new stuff looks.

Also, the L5R 5E supposedly isn't dead, and Edge will announce the release date of the Unicorn book Soon (TM), with a Scorpion book coming afterwards.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
So is Clan Wars carrying on from the Battle of Cherry Blossom Snow or is it yet another reboot starting at Clan Wars?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Terratina posted:

So is Clan Wars carrying on from the Battle of Cherry Blossom Snow or is it yet another reboot starting at Clan Wars?

It is apparently a 4th continuity of L5R distinct from the previous three.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

HidaO-Win posted:

It is apparently a 4th continuity of L5R distinct from the previous three.

why

why they do this

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Capfalcon posted:

Also, the L5R 5E supposedly isn't dead, and Edge will announce the release date of the Unicorn book Soon (TM), with a Scorpion book coming afterwards.

Friend had a miserable time playing the actual l5r adventure, apparently the person they had running it was complaining the whole time about not understanding how this dumb system sells so well when there's a perfectly good d20 version right there.

The chud playing who was angry there was only one male pregen didn't help, obviously.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Terratina posted:

why

why they do this

Maybe this means they'll be keeping with the theme but paring things down so it's less of a gigantic convoluted mess?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The Clan War is the best time period, so it's no surprise they are going back to that well. It's a good well!

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

apparently the person they had running it was complaining the whole time about not understanding how this dumb system sells so well when there's a perfectly good d20 version right there.

Choking on my own rage here.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So are the new rpg books ALSO going to be in the new timeline or like

what's going on here

e: honestly I'd prefer the 5e version of the setting to become the standard just not the rules

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The Clan War is the best time period, so it's no surprise they are going back to that well. It's a good well!

I prefer Four Winds.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I prefer Four Winds.

Still mad that after it was all said and done, Naseru just wanders into the Shadowlands and dies because the fans picked wrong.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Still mad that after it was all said and done, Naseru just wanders into the Shadowlands and dies because the fans picked wrong.
Please explain, this sounds like another CCG comedy of errors. :allears:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The L5R story team is to be given some credit because they did pretty well with some of the most counterintuitive choices the winners made, but sometimes not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

Please explain, this sounds like another CCG comedy of errors. :allears:

Looks, sometimes having to have 14 different outcomes for every choice means that the Unicorn get to do everything (secretly assisted by the actual 1st place Nezumi but even the story team could only do so much). When dominant decks would win 8 out of every 10 tournaments, stupid things will happen.

I still think about the Unicorn result where they got to pick "No Kolat Please" when dealing with the Kolat infiltration of the Clan. It turned out saying no to the only interesting thing you had going on just meant no more cool fiction.