Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

SirFozzie posted:

Beginner Box is almost definitely at GenCon.

Main RPG book, unknown. Probably not at GenCon

God dammit, how many times am I gonna fall for this move? I'll buy the beginner box, be disappointed in how little is in there, then never open it again once the book is out.

At least it comes with dice, I suppose. Plus I was guaranteed to be converting the Topaz Championship over if they weren't already going that route. I just hope that the pregen characters aren't too deeply tied into the adventure and I can swap them out quickly once the book comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Golden Bee posted:

Someone who plays a scorpion to be a warrior is a weirdo and should be mocked.

Bayushi Tangen and Bayushi Kwanchai are in suicidal disagreement.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Also, it should be noted, 4th edition is unquestionably the best version of the roll and keep (pre-5th edition) rules. Some people like to claim third edition is best, and they're just wrong.

Fifth edition seems to me to do a much better job of dealing with gradations to rolls. In the older systems, it was a traditional pass/fail on rolls which made melee, or social combat, very sudden and decisive. Now a failed roll might mean more than an absolute disaster in a high stakes situation. I find this to be a better way to go, but I'll admit, I haven't gotten to run it yet.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The Otasan Uchi boxed set is great for having a big map with a list of who lives in every single house. Not helpful, as there is no context for most of it!

It is the worst of any of the boxed sets AEG ever produced. Overall their track record isn't terrible.

City of Lies is just as good as the hype. Some classic Stolze lowlife drama.
Tomb of Iuchiban is an interesting capstone and fun read even if I'd never recommend playing it.
The Second City took some of the later cardgame plot nonsense and made a solid, engaging setting with some neat characters.

But man, Otosan Uchi adds nothing that I couldn't have came up with myself, and I'm not an amazingly creative person. It's just...bland. The Scorpion Clan Coup stuff seems like the thrust of why it was produced, and it manages to take an event many people already didn't like and makes it thoroughly boring in addition to reviled.

On a different note, I'm trying to set up an L5R 5e campaign using Foudry VTT and I installed the module for it, but (and I may just be dumb) I can't figure out what the commands are to roll the FFG dice. No documentation I can find spells it out for me. Does anyone know, or know where to found out?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

RudeCat posted:

Are you using the game system that's in Foundry right now or did you find something else in the wild? I'm planning on doing a game later this month as well and looking at what's available it seems like I'll be using the discord dice roller and just having pdfs of character sheets uploaded for the players.

I haven't gotten anywhere with it yet, but I was planning on using the one that can be installed through the program directly. Nothing fancy. Sounds like I oughta just back away from it for now because, from what I can see, the built in character sheet isn't great so there's really nothing left to recommend it.

I didn't think of looking for a FFG dice bot for Discord. If Discord and PDFs work I'll probably just default back to that, cuz L5R doesn't really require maps for combat the bulk of Foundry features are ultimately wasted.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol we're doing this again, this is hilarious.

And it worked so well last time, what with it being considered the worst run of books in the history of the RPG and literally no one I've ever heard of having gotten drawn into L5R through them.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Only a few more weeks now. As disappointing as it is, I am a mark and will end up getting it.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Capfalcon posted:

I mean, hasn't every version had dice explosions?

Not the d20 version! And probably not this new version!

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

It's out and man is it ever D&D. Combat is mostly unchanged and higher level characters will become D&D-style hit point sponges.

Playable races: Human, Naga, Nezumi, Mazoku(?), Specter(??), Tengu and a few types of animal Yokai

Classes: Bushi, Duelist, Courtier, Shinobi, Ritualist, Pilgrim, and Acolyte. The Ritualist is just the shugenja, the Pilgrim is a normal monk and the Acolyte are the weird monks, like the Togashi order. All the classes have third level mostly-clan-based archetypes to cover all the fiddly schools.

Normal 5e backgrounds are mostly given over to family ties, except for ronin, monks and commoners.

Way more information on non-Rokugan portions of the world than I'm used to seeing in L5R releases. They clearly had a lot more in mind for expanding the setting than I was aware of.

Quite a lot of new feats to cover the setting better, which I appreciate.

Ritualist magic works basically off a spell point system called Favor. More Favor used can make spells more powerful. Martials and monks get spell like Techniques that also use a point system, this time called Focus. On first glance it certainly appears to be a better balance of martials vs casters than base 5e.

Absolutely fantastic art direction, probably the best overall production of any edition yet.

It's really D&D, though. No more deadly, deadly duels to fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Dawgstar posted:

How was the Second City... book? Box set? I never read it.

It was very good and delved into a lot of interesting themes that come up when a insular and xenophobic society is forced to deal with outsiders outside of their comfort zone.

That said it was kind of pitched as a backwater that was a small enough pond that your characters could more easily become big fish.