Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PaybackJack posted:

edit: You also failed to mention the argument over "Utz/Banzai".

FFG just canned it and I couldn't be happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

it's great that they've removed the weird offensive part but this is still so cringeworthy

is ritual chanting at tournaments really a thing the potential playerbase demands

IDK but I will literally never do it. I'm just glad it's not Banzai anymore.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sinteres posted:

I knew they weren't a faction in the game, but I thought they might still be represented somehow. i guess they'll probably advance the storyline and bring back Fu Leng somehow since the coup hasn't happened yet/might not happen, and that might be when they could reintroduce the mechanic (or faction) if they don't do it before then.

I think there's a goblin card in the next pack.

Whenever I think about them adding more factions, I always end up getting stonewalled by the 20 card a month limit. If you add Mantis and Shadowlands, that gives you room for 2 cards per faction each month + 2 Neutrals. I can't see them adding all the esoteric stuff from the first game like Naga or Ninjas or whatever unless they copy the mini-faction idea from Netrunner and give them like 1 or 2 cards a cycle, tops.

edit: This is also why I don't think the clan coup is going to go the same way, unless we're gonna get a bunch of Burning Sands Scorpion cards for a cycle or two.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 9, 2017

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

I like how we're barely 1 set in and already people are clamoring to disenfranchise part of the old player base lol

I don't want them to disenfranchise anyone but if they just do the same stuff as old L5R but with new rules I'll be kinda disappointed.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Im not sure "having part of the setting exist" counts as a story beat

The shadowlands doesn't have to be a playable faction to exist (and it already exists, there's fiction on the FFG website about it).

I think they should be, but they need to be reworked from the ground up because of the way honor works now.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If they don't do it officially, there will definitely be a ton of people doing conversions from 4e/whatever to the FFG RPG. When Edge of the Empire came out it only took a month or two to be able to find practically any obscure thing you wanted from decades of games, and I expect the L5R fanbase to be similarly obsessive.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dragon, Crane, Scorpion and Lion seem like the best clans at this point.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MoreLikeTen posted:

I know this is a pretty basic question, but I couldn't find a clear answer in the rules. How do multiple copies of named characters work together? Do they double up like in GOT?

If it’s a unique character, you add a fate to the one in play

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Phrosphor posted:

So there isn't actually a rule stopping me from playing with my sneaky gobbo's? Just E-Honor?

Yeah, welcome to interacting with the L5R community.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If that pack wasn’t coming out in like 4 days I’d be really annoyed by the quality of the photography there

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Somberbrero posted:

Shrine Maiden is excellent, it gives me a hankering to play Phoenix. Harmonize is very neat too, not sure how worth the deck slots it is but I like the conveyance of the theme in this card.

aaand that's all I really care about. Neat pack overall though! I think most of the clan attachments are a little overpriced this go-round but whatever!

I think Harmonize is super good, especially if you can bait your opponent into using a bunch of buffs on a character before you use it. It's obviously better in some situations than others, like sending home a character that's good in one conflict type and terrible in another, but it's generally very useful in a lot of situations. Sometimes just having a character action you can use across two separate conflicts is really good.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SuperKlaus posted:

So I'm noticing that this week nobody seemed to have full pack spoilers before the pack actually came out. I just read the contents of Imperial pack 5 on kolatinformant. And I'm noticing how often my prolific pointless posting bumps the thread here.

How's this stacking up to Netrunner's early days? Is the game weak or is this forum just so dead? I feel like I see plenty of matches on jigoku online and anecdotally know of at least one dozen-strong IRL regular play group. Yet online resources seem slow. It's a good game, far as I can tell, that deserves success.

This forum doesn’t get a lot of traffic. Facebook is pretty active and there’s a way bigger community for this game in my area than any of the other FFG games, to the point where there are weekly events for L5R and monthly events for everything else.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Phrosphor posted:

Could you elaborate on the issue with it please?

In tournaments you can only take the role that was chosen at whatever major tournament, so they'll have to amend the rules to allow players to use that role or this new one, or just throw it in the pile to be chosen with the others, which probably won't happen since it's so narrow.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Was it the Dragon that had the pseudo-cops that were seen as really strange because they cared about things like facts and evidence?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SuperKlaus posted:

What's a good splash for Scorpions now that the Imperial Cycle is done? Crab seems like a very clear winner (I like Pathfinder's Blade with Hiruma Ambusher and Watch Commander) but I wonder if y'all got insights into neat tricks with other splashes I've overlooked.

Crab is definitely the most popular, but I like also like Phoenix for going for the dishonor win.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SuperKlaus posted:

My question is, what sources would you guys recommend I read or watch to get a feel for the steppe cultures from which the Unicorn borrow the most heavily?

The Mongol Conquests in World History is pretty alright. https://www.amazon.com/Mongol-Conquests-World-History-Globalities/dp/1861898673

Dan Carlin's Wrath of the Khans podcasts are super fun to listen to but aren't necessarily the most historically rigorous. Might actually be better for you since you're pulling stuff into Rokugan and not, like, writing a research paper. https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-wrath-of-the-khans-series/

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PaybackJack posted:

I think rushing the first packs as quickly as they did was a bit of a mistake in hindsight. People assumed that once the cycle ended, it would be a month and a half or so before we started getting the next cycle at the regular monthly interval. Everyone also thought the game night kits would have arrived in February as well, so those being delayed means everyone is still in a holding pattern and since they haven't even announced a new cycle yet, it's going to be at least 4 months before the first one of those packs arrives and the Phoenix clan pack will do little to hold people over.

My local is starting a stronghold league so I'm hoping people will come out for that. I know a part of it locally is that people are getting tired of Scorpion, but I honestly think that's a little overblown.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SirFozzie posted:

So, a bit of a rant here, apparently we had something happen in the Paris Kotei Top 4 round.

Apparently one player forgot to remove a character with 0 fate at the end of the turn.

He missed it.

The opponent missed it.

The judges specifically watching for game state missed it.

The stream of L5R grognards, however, did not miss it.

So, they reported the player (who ended up winning the round, supposedly making it to the final) en masse to the judges, who then reversed the decision, handing him a game loss (knocking him out of the tournament, but NOT a disqualification, which would have made him lose whatever prizes he earned).

Personally, I think this is way persnickety, and way too easily abused. Opponent making a game state mistake? Rather then correcting it there and then, this would theoretically encourage you to "let it go", and then report it to the judges afterwards and get the win back.

Cheating is one thing, but an honest mistake, which was apparently missed not only by the player AND EVERYONE ELSE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BOARD STATE at that time, shouldn't end in such a manner.

I don't really understand why you jump from an outside 3rd party reporting an error that everyone missed to some theoretical opponent who is going to watch their opponent cheat (?) and then not say anything (??) so that they can lose and then go get their win back (???).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PJOmega posted:

What in the hell? $16/mini?

That's not super outlandish these days, especially if they're high quality.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PJOmega posted:

Unpainted, unassembled, blind box subscription. For $16/month. Yeah, that's outlandish.

Assuming shipping is like 4 bucks, you're paying 12 bucks for a detailed resin or metal model. That's pretty much industry standard, if you want cheaper than that you have to go to like Bones or those D&D miniatures which have whole different economies behind them.

I don't really like the subscription model, but at least they announce them before they close the purchasing window so you can just buy the ones you want.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is there anywhere doing a bundle of the Elemental cycle dynasty packs the same way there are bundles of the Imperial cycle around?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Drone posted:

With Netrunner retired, is the L5R LCG the biggest thing they have going at the moment, competitively-speaking? Is the Star Wars LCG still running/even that big?

(obviously not counting X-Wing/Legacy in this, as those are certainly competitive but they aren't LCGs)

As far as competitive card games go they’re down to Game of Thrones, L5R and Keyforge, IIRC. I don’t know what’s bigger.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Drone posted:

So does FFG just outright own the L5R IP now or is it still a licensing deal?

They purchased it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I mean... I played the last D20 L5R, it can't be worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I picked up Adventures in Rokugan and I don't think it's amazing, but it's interesting as an alternate take on the setting. I'm not worried at all about it "replacing" the existing setting, it includes a little call out box right at the beginning of the book saying that it's meant to be different and suggests using it to play stories that would then be considered legends or folktales in the d10 version of the setting.

They're still making books for that setting too, Writ of the Wilds is coming out soonish.