Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Man, now I want a TL;DR of the new lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Shiba turning into a phoenix seems kinda ofd when he didn't know what totem his can should have until he had a vision of one. But this is L5R I guess.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Legacy of Disaster can be easily converted and was the Free RPG Day quick start adventure.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Ruzihm posted:

Thank you very much. I'm also completely new to the l5r rpg so is there a good example or guide of how to convert things appropriately to 5e?

It's pretty simple. Just divide the TNs listed by 5, so TN 5 is 1, 10 is 2 and son on. In regard to Legacy of Disaster, bandits can bandits, Hakuri can just use the courtier statblock, the sword thief a loyal bushi, gaki a souped up skeletal bush , and so forth. Don't worry about schools too much as NPCs don't usually have school techs anyway.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
I cannot wait for all of the lolninja edgy bois to jump on it.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Dick Burglar posted:

I mean, I like ninjas and from the preview it sounds cool. I am a lolninja edgy boi now.

Hey as long as you're not Mr. I Wanna Roll Skulduggery for everything. :P

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
It's not really taint guys, just Fu Leng nudging the heirs a little to make the empire fall.

'Least that's my theory. Especially with the stinger of the palace's wards.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

I'm pretty neutral on the Lion but reading about Crane getting their poo poo pushed in will always put a smile on my face.

We see the split in the Lion clan too now. So to tally

Imperial: Sotorii vs Daisetsu
Scorpion: Shoju vs Kachiko
Crane: Hotaru vs Kuwanan
Lion: Tsuko vs Toturi

Someone said there's a split in the Dragon, too? Maybe something do to with the Perfect Land Sect?

What about the others; Phoenix, Crab, and Unicorn?

I don't think it would happen but it would be cool see this game start with 7 clans and then break apart into the number of factions that were kicking around in Gold edition of the old game. Or at least strongholds.

Hiromi and Mitsu both have a different Imperial heir each, if that counts.

Shono vs Chagatai has been shown in the novella. Wouldn't be surprised to see Tsukune vs Tadaka, or O-Ushi vs Yakamo (lotta options for Crab though really).

As for the Crane being beat on, I get the joy from nerds seeing the popular kids get dunked on but it's beating a dead horse at this stage (not that Tsuko's actions make for good drama). Though I am saying that as someone who is a fan of the Crane, and someone who has seen them get beat a thousand times (though rpg campaigns and fictions).

That said, the male/female ratio with these divides is pretty interesting.

Terratina fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 15, 2019

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
All Clans suck. All Clans are the worst.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Crab just yell about the Wall
Crane are smug masters of the arts
Dragon spout out ice cream koans
Lion would love to tell you about their marine days (HOORAH)
Phoenix spam Fury of Osano-Wo
Scorpion actions are always acordding to Keikaku
Unicorn ride horses, eat red meat, wear furs and ignore all social norms
Monkeys cheese the system
Fox are all furries (there are no kistune in the kistune mori)
Ox are all Kolat
Tortoise all caress their store of gaijin pepper
Sparrow are all hobo Cranes
Wasps are all shite swordsmen
Badger only care about the path of the swole
Cat are all ninjas
Centipede all femnazis
Mantis all yarr harr pirates
Hare all stabby yokels
Dragonfly all gatekeepers to the Dragon
Falcon all ghostbusters
Deer all shippers on deck

Fact is, all of the clans can be reduced to a stereotype and the type of player that stereotype attracts is pretty bad. Edgelord Scorpions who use Skulduggery for everything comes to mind but at the same time, all clans have the potential to be good, even if the Crane are tanking a tsunami to the face or the Lion are given a win due to them having a sad losing streak and then given a win. Just a clan at its base stereotype isn't interesting - this is why the Greats have all the families going on there.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Just to deal with the Sea of Shadows.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Non-tainted Spider Monks only Spider.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Could pick up both with heritage, yeah, but I'd check and see if any of the supplements have interesting R1 katas.

Still, sure there are (ugh) outright best choices for char gen but just go with what you think would be fun.

I wish FFG had followed NWoD with flat xp costs though. It was bad enough in 4e.

Terratina fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 24, 2019

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Meanwhile just got done with a venue-style (i.e. large chat) game and I am going to go on a L5R break for a while.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
I assume they are just pushing out stuff that was already in the pipeline.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'd love to buy all the books ( was planning to after my current d&d campaign is over) but now I really don't know what to do with the line. I think it's an amazing version and I really dig it but now...

Barring jamming the setting into a different system, 5e is the best edition even "incomplete".

Or I'm just jaded from seeing the same builds every time in large online chat play.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Baron Snow posted:

Ok, looks like we have official confirmation at this point that the end result of Asmodee shuffling poo poo around is that FFG rpg lines are sliding over to a new European company called Edge Entertainment. They’re still going to be the same editions, this is just the result of whatever corporate shell game Asmodee is up to.

Source?

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Baron Snow posted:

Facebook post from AT EASE Games with photos of a FFG/Asmodee presentation (edit: it was at GAMA)

https://www.facebook.com/ateasegames/photos/pcb.3825564887468619/3825564727468635/?type=3&theater

edit: the more interesting news on the Industry side is that Asmodee is becoming it's own distributor and ditching Alliance

Thank you very much.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
I'm honestly just hoping the shell game continues and the freelancers get shuffled to working under them.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

It's not entirely clear what, exactly, this is going to mean in practice at all, yes.

FFG have been knocking out of the park. I just hope those folks who have contributed to that get to continue working on L5R.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

They need to hire me to write about dogs.

The Dog Minor Clan is surely full of good boys.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Spookyelectric posted:

As one of those freelancers, that makes two of us!

Bwahahaha, while it is nice to be noticed by senpai, that statement is somewhat concerning.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
In regards to the lethality of the FFG RPG, the way that crits work, it's setup so you'll most likely loose a limb or something than just straight up bite it. There's still teeth, dying isn't the only consequence one can get from playing with razor blades after all.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
It's kinda sad that the Scorps horde all the overpowered schools.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
4e is badly written compared to a storygame system where a mute courtier isn't completely hosed over by that disadvantage and Momoku is also viable. You either play the optimised builds or fall behind because you aren't in 4e in my experience.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Spookyelectric posted:

It's dreadful. I hope y'all enjoy it.

It is indeed dreadful, I adore it. From the buildup to the little windows into the Moth Clan as you see them. Thanks!

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
As part of the Court Games podcast L5R Game Jam I've submitted an adventure. Complete with a cover made at the last minute.

You can view it and other submissions here.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Capfalcon posted:

Every Samurai Drama is ultimately a tragedy.

Nice writeup!

That phrase right there is something I deeply agree with - not saying that playing with folks who backflip with katanas is Bad Wrong Fun of course (tragedy can be exhausting).

To pitch in on game times, playing a Naishou game. My Matsu attended a play in the Dutiful Daughter as security only be yelled at by an Asahina Theatre Nerd backed up by two Kakita when she called to stop the play because the PC shugenja and monk sensed bad juju going in the theatre.

A large NPC Matsu backed my PC up after the actors did as they were told and did a One Roll Duel vs one of the Kakita while the others went down to investigate - didn't feel right to abandon a clansmate.

The Kakita took some fingers, my Matsu took his eye. But we did manage to stop an oni summoning and evac out a bunch of folks before putting the theatre to the torch, to burn up the remnants of the oni that managed to get through.

The Crane have big egg on their face and I'm hoping I'll be duelling one of theirs again if they accuse the Lion of tomfoolery in court. It would be a good death, especially when my Matsu's giri is to die during a duel in a matter which would give the Lion a reason to go to war in Naishou.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
4e is fine if you want a mechanically driven game.

5e is fine if you want a mechanically driven game.

Let's not compare apples to pears.

D&D saturation is real but gonna be honest, it's one hell of a niche product we're all into.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

I like the base mechanics well enough, though I've only played two sessions. I might even like them a lot if I got to wrestle with them more. What I don't like and never will is how granular the combat stuff can get. My samurai epic drama does not need 10 distinct range bands and enemy size categories, not even in the event we storm the Shadowlands to fist-fight oni.

Enemy silhouette sizes rarely change or come into things unless you're using techniques that actively reference them. Range bands I hate but they're usually not too much of a worry, just a metric of "can I hit this with sword?"

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
I appreciate the approach of trying to make things more accessible and cultural friendly. As well as actually interesting martial classes in D&D.

But some of the lore change up baffles me and the words on guidance will never reach the ears of those who need to listen to it, written as it is.

"Drop your armor class!" Ugh.

Also there's taking Amateratsu, the big goddess in Japanese mythology and a symbol of purity, and changing it up in that she now has had an affair with a Lord of Tian Guo.

But I suppose it's okay because she's just Lady Sun now.

While other deities get the 10 foot pole approach. No Ebisu, just the Fortune of Hard Work.

Two extremes right there.

Terratina fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 7, 2022

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Nope.

It's honestly more suited to a Journey to the West style romp. Which is fine, which is a game I would be down for, but doesn't fit L5R to me.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Dick Burglar posted:

tbh glory and status are basically the same thing. Also, honor waffles on whether it's internal or external, even in the same edition, seemingly depending on which author is writing or maybe just how they feel that day. If you lose honor for doing something when nobody's looking, it's internal. If you lose honor for doing the right thing but others perceive it as the wrong thing, it most definitely is not purely internal. And then you'll have some people charging in to argue that no, that should actually affect your glory or your status, and that's when you throw up your hands and realize that having three very similar but supposedly mechanically distinct systems is really stupid.

If honor were purely an internal thing, then loyal-but-underhanded shinobi should have honor through the loving roof. That alone is enough to put the lie to the idea that honor is purely internal. Edit: I look forward to the argument that no, shinobi know their morals are ~compromised~ due to their dirty work, therefore...

Can we just agree that role-playing games trying to quantify (and gamify) morality is a really lovely concept?

I for one like the tension in the system of who your character is versus the societial expectations laid upon them. But I'm willing to concede there are some major pitfalls in quantifying and gaming mortality (see World of Darkness, D&D Alignment).

L5R 5e is at least a lot more clearer on what the difference is between honor and glory. Honor being the internal measure of how adherent to Bushido you are, Glory being how your peers perceive you (Status of course being the measure of how high you are on the totem pole).

For instance, while loyal but underhanded shinobi definitely keep the tenet of Duty and Loyalty, they probably definitely ignore the other tenets like Righteousness, Compassion, Sincerity, etc. Even simple lying is enough cause to knock that honor score down.

Nevertheless, playing low honor characters isn't a bad thing, nor Bad Wrong Fun. They just disregard Bushido more than the average samurai.

The feudal society of Rokugan is different to our modern day ones and I enjoy role-playing in a world with different societal rules to our own. It's about expectations vs reality, and the interplay within that.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Dick Burglar posted:

That's generally how Honor and Glory are supposed to work, but it seems like a lot of writers (and GMs) just forget Glory exists and end up tacking everything onto Honor instead.

Also, the tenets of Bushido are not all well established. Sincerity, especially, is dogshit. Some writers seem to think it means "you must always be truthful and forthcoming" and others think it means "put your heart into your work/don't half-rear end poo poo." And the clan that is supposed to exemplify sincerity is the Dragon clan, whose whole schtick is being cryptic as gently caress and holding onto certain Big Secrets. Frankly, I don't think a society modeled on feudal Japan, where one's true feelings are kept close to the chest and places a huge emphasis on not saying anything that can cause offense, can remotely support the idea that sincerity is about not lying. But, as your post exemplifies, that line always seems to creep into discussions about the Bushido code, which is why gamifying the code sucks.

Edit: then again, bushido and its tenets weren't formalized until well after the feudal period had ended, so I guess this is the kind of anachronistic crap you get for trying to crowbar a romanticized version of "be a good lil servant and do as your master tells you" into a fantastical version of the feudal period.

I agree, I could stare at Honor and Righteousness until I'm blue in the face and come out with a different interpretation depending on the time of day.

Sincerity has many facets, like not lying, being true to yourself (looking at you, Dragon) and the most common thing that will crop up in such a "face"-based society: not breaking your word.

It's not a good code, no. But at least the section on the tenets in the 5e core rulebook give curt guidance to cut down on the guff. It may seem unfair to have a game with vague rules (honorable mention D&D 5e's "natural language"), but that's what discussions at the table is for.

Especially if there is a probable honor breach, not that honor breaches have stopped any player I know from dishonorable behavior. It's a resource after all.

However, on a different note, it's not the only non-historical thing about L5R, but it's not trying to be a 1:1 representation.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I picked up Adventures in Rokugan and I don't think it's amazing, but it's interesting as an alternate take on the setting. I'm not worried at all about it "replacing" the existing setting, it includes a little call out box right at the beginning of the book saying that it's meant to be different and suggests using it to play stories that would then be considered legends or folktales in the d10 version of the setting.

They're still making books for that setting too, Writ of the Wilds is coming out soonish.

I'm not particularly concerned about it "replacing" the main line game at all.

I'm fine with it as a D&D 5e product set in Rokugan and for folks to play around with in being cool people with katanas and mystical invocations and what not, it's some of the more interesting choices that stick out to me.

I understand it's coming from a good place of trying to make things right. As a Brit, it does come off as a bit Nanny State though.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
All I know is that folks be salty about the amount (or rather lack thereof) of material on the Dragon Clan.

I will say that Europe got decent access to the hard copies of WotW and AiR near their release dates which is nice.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

That is odd. I'm not sure what the Dragon have to do with 'the wilds.' I'd figure them for being in the Shinsei book or similar.

I think the expection stems from Shadowlands being the Shadowlands plus Crab book, Court of Stone being the Court plus Crane book, Celestial Realms being the Magical Stuff plus Phoenix Book and so on.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
So is Clan Wars carrying on from the Battle of Cherry Blossom Snow or is it yet another reboot starting at Clan Wars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

HidaO-Win posted:

It is apparently a 4th continuity of L5R distinct from the previous three.

why

why they do this