Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Finster Dexter posted:

Also, there was something like 22% Phoenix players at Day 1Z. :aaa:

edit:

anecdote: I switched from Phoenix to Crab for Worlds lol

crying a single tear over Unicorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
that mask is way too sick for a plagiarist

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
crabs are super cool they're armored sea bugs with giant claws and cool little rectangular slot mouths like a 1950's robot

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Looking at running the Beginner Game online but one of my players has a pathological hatred of Discord, so no dice bot. Are there any good alternatives for playing 5e over the internet short of having everyone load up the dice app?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PJOmega posted:

From the mouth of Wick all of the shadowlands were supposed to represent corrupting Western influence.

Not the best or most nuanced take, but it helps to understand the original intent.

That doesn't even make sense! The corrupting western influence of eating people and blood magic?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The FFG version actually feels like it's trying to do samurai fiction genre emulation as opposed to the old game feeling like someone kind of kludged honor stats onto a super deadly D&D-style fantasy game.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Is this the last FFG-made book?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Napoleon Nelson posted:

The Lion book scheduled for early 2021 is the last FFG one

Oh I thought that was the first under the new company

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That's about how most Japanese TRPGs look honestly

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That's because it is, in fact, pretty good

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The book is pretty open that this is not supposed to be the new definitive take on Rokugan and is a modified version of the setting to play to D&D's strengths so I think if nothing else they did try and get out ahead of people immediately jumping to the conclusion that this is the new "official" version

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The book very repeatedly mentions that Japan isn't the only inspiration for Rokugan and lists Chinese material as much as samurai fiction in the references.. If anything a lot of setting changies seem to be adding wuxia to the mix to allow for player characters who can just run around fighting and doing good deeds without necessarily being chained to a position.

I don't see the "it all sounds the same" here when they're very clear on what they're pulling from

That said "Judgement Overlord" is incredibly clunky yeah

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sexpig by night posted:

Because you don't fix 'L5R had a problem with reducing Japanese inspired storytelling to stereotypes in some parts' with 'well let's throw in some half-learned Chinese and just erase the Japanese words and delete anything like bushido to replace it with an ~adventurer's code~ that makes no sense to exist instead'. You do it by, say, expanding on the not-China that exists in the world, making it clear you can make a character from there and give ways to make them distinct as a person of a different background and all.

I think they kind of do that, though. The foreign countries get more characterization than of any of the minor clans, and the fact that these countries exist at all and you can play them without some dumb empire-wide "all foreigners must die on sight" ban is a major step forward for the setting. Is it as in-depth as it should be? Probably not, but this is also one book that's already pushing 450 pages and there's supplements for that.

I also don't know that trying to decouple the in-universe pantheon from just literally being Japanese mythology is making the setting more generic.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

HidaO-Win posted:

L5R is about the stories set in Rokugan, and their desperate struggles against a horrifying external threat and the lands internal divisions.

Making other countries with prominent ties to Rokugan commonly encountered dilutes that story and robs the setting of some of its intensity and inevitably will cause a loss of focus in the writing.

L5Rs story never really got better when the expanded outside Rokugan to the devastated Ivory Kingdoms, the meat of the game was Rokugan. Again perfectly serviceable stuff in the new setting, but it could just be Oriental Adventures 5E and not muddy the waters.

I don't think L5R or Rokugan have to be One Thing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the reason for death taking Mazoku out of the campaign like a normal mortal character dying being that you're sent back to deal with a century's worth of paperwork is pretty funny

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So they're rebooting the setting. Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So are the new rpg books ALSO going to be in the new timeline or like

what's going on here

e: honestly I'd prefer the 5e version of the setting to become the standard just not the rules