Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

So I got behind reading the six or so short stories that came out while I wasn't looking at L5R fiction, where are we at in the whole Clan War thing? I last read Stupid!Child killing his father, M-F'ing Hantei the 38th, and Bayushi Kachiko covering it up before sending the OG mask boi to assassinate the Emerald Champion. This works, but then he gets brought back to life with his wife's Void magic...? Also Perfect Land are getting up to some business.

What have I missed, has the Clan War started yet? If they haven't do we have a good idea who are on which side?

Did Kachiko get slapped for pulling that stupid poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

As someone who was compelled to learn how to run 5e D&D to accommodate the old guard who were only familiar playing that, I do like having options. These motherfuckers have been playing 5e so long that the pretty extreme change-up AiR gives to the classes (and conditions and spellcasting etc) are super interesting. I really like how the Bushi isn't just a reskin of Battlemaster fighter, and the rules for Duels are pretty rad and flow with regular combat pretty well, which is what I really liked about L5R's 5e. (I've only played the FFG L5R)

Are the lore changes good? Probably not. Are they ignorable? Basically. It really doesn't seem hard to use this framework and insert it back into previous edition's lore and/or timelines. There's no Honor and Strife mechanics, but it doesn't seem impossible to strap whatever 4e's Honor/Glory equivalents onto this. It's pretty bad value to ignore the setting information when it's about 1/3 of the book and the book is $25, but imo that valuation works out for me. I'd certainly prefer a 6e that was more akin to 4e's mechanics (or 5e without the special dice), but for a GM who /also/ does D&D, this was a very enlightening crossover for me.