Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Ok, so. In the space of a week, L5R has gone from a "oh there's a new card game version out, cool", to FFG apparently slapping L5R on everything and anything. After all, why not make use of the property you just bought and squeeze out every last koku from your fanbase, if you're Fantasy Flight Games, who's never been shy on wringing every last drop out of their properties.

What is Legend of the Five Rings? I thought that was a book by some Japanese Samurai?

You're thinking of the Book of Five Rings, by one Miyamoto Musashi, circa 1635. Apparently, the best wandering swordsman of that era, but has very little to do with L5R.

L5R was a Collectible Card Game made by John Wick, back in the early days of the post-Magic CCG boom. It told the story of Seven Clans (all given a totemic animal as an identifier), and the struggle between the Clans to take over Rokugan after the death of the Emperor:

In Short the Seven Clans are:

Crane: When you think of pretty boy samurai, you're thinking about the Crane. For the longest time, they stayed at the side of the Emperor because in an almost fetishistic way, every Emperor would marry a Crane woman. Had a habit of losing battles but winning wars because they would use their power in the courts to undo their opponents strategems. Also, in a land where any insult can be answered by a duel to the death, the fact that the Crane are the best duelists around means that those who would disparage the Crane too openly either get shamed in front of the court, or in a duel with a swordsman who can cut a silk cloth into individual threads before they hit the ground. Either way is a good way to end up with a blade in your chest.

Crab: If the Crane are the pretty boys, the Crabs are the ugly boys. They have a duty to hold back the Shadowlands, which they do by Making Rokugan Great Again by defending a giant wall. They care little for the niceties of society , mostly because they can't generally practice tea ceremony when an Oni is trying to eat their face (or soul). They did steal the Yasuki family from the Crane, mostly because the Crane really didn't dig the Yasuki being focued on.. ugh.. merchants and all that down to earth thing, and the Crab was glad to have a family who's willing to get their hands (figuratively) dirty to keep the Crab supplied. in the prior fiction, the Crab started the Clan Wars by picking up the idiot ball and deciding it was a good idea to actually ALLY with the Shadowlands to take out the weak Emperor, figuring that they could use the evil forces and then of course kill them afterwards, and everyone would be happy with that.

Dragon: Well, now we get the mystical side. They're one of the more-withdrawn clans in Rokugan, featuring a family of two handed swordsmen (who have a rivalry with the Crane), a family who plays CSI: Rokugan (when most "investigations" involve taking a samurai's word), and the Togashi, a bunch of mystical monks who use tattoos to become super-samurai. Little known fact: Their clan daimyo is actually the clan's founder, who just pretends to hand the baton to the next generation every few years to keep the rubes getting.

Lion: let's see, we have pretty boy samurai, ugly boy samurai, mystic boy samurai.. and now the Lion. I was going to call them the Samurai Boy Samurai, because well, that's their gimmick. They are Ur-Samurai with all the pluses and minuses that can go with it. They are the most militant clan in Rokugan, mostly because well, all they know is being a samurai. Usually the cause of most wars with the Lion are either: "Someone said something bad about us, let's go beat them up to show how good samurai we are", or "The troops are restless, let's go pretend someone said something bad about us so we can beat them up to show how good samurai we are." Hates the Crane with a passion because well, not only will the Cranes not fight and die like "real" samurai, the Crane's politicians usually end up getting the Emperor to invalidate their battles in the field.

Phoenix: Unlike most clans where the Family founded by their Patron Kami is pre-eminent, the Phoenix are mostly led by their top shugenja, due to a pact made by the Clan's founder to protect them so the best shugenja would go and kill Fu Leng. One of the more bookish and mystical clans, the Phoenix have a habit of being the best shugenja in Rokugan, and letting all that power go to their head. like, for example, decide it would be a good idea to summon an Oni to learn all about it in order to fight Fu Leng. They actually do this several times over in past history.

Scorpion: So the Crane are the left hand of the emperor (the courts), the Lion are the right hand of the emperor (the armies), and the Scorpion are the Underhand of the emperor. This means they're dicks. And yes, yes they are dicks. Scorpion are basically a clan of evil viziers who are constantly plotting against all and sundry. Why does everyone keep dealing with them, despite the fact that even one of their families wears masks all the time to say "You can't trust me.. Mwahahaha".. because well, if you're going to do something not so honorable, a Scorpion will be glad to help you do it. Or to do it for you. Or to do it TO you. If the Scorpion DON'T have blackmail on you, you're probably not important enough to bother with. But they are grudgingly tolerated because they do it all FOR THE EMPIRE. Until one of them decides the only way to save the empire from a prophecy is to kill the Emperor's family in line. Infamous for having Bayushi Kachiko, other wise known as "John Wick's Waifu"

Unicorn: Well, let's take a clan of Samurai at the beginning of time, send them to Arabia for a few hundred years, and then come back to scandalize everyone because they missed out on six hundred years of ettiquette lessons. the worst part is, they're powerful enough (with the only clan that has more than a token amount of REAL horses). Infamous for two things, one, having the Kolat (a group dedicated to overthrowing the Celestial Order to bring in an age of man), and, in the original timeline, for having a family named the Otaku. Yes, they played to their not-Japan fanbase by naming a family Otaku. The level of face palm that this caused resulted in the family being renamed the Utaku.

So, there was a CCG, which was rather popular (if known for having hundreds of players shouting BANZAI and UTZ! like Kamikaze pilots before tournaments), and four editions of the Role Playing game, but in 2015, AEG, who had held the rights to L5R for most of it's history (aside from a brief, forgettable interlude with Wizards of the Coast where they tried to make it yet another d20 system) sold it to Fantasy Flight Games, who looked at the 20 years of history and said "you know what? Let's St Elsewhere this bullshit and take it back to basics"

Why did they do that? Because all through L5R's history, they let the result of major tournaments decide where the plot was going. This enabled some interesting tales (At the conclusion of the first major arc, Wick brought envelopes telling with how the story would end depending on which clan won the tournament and killed the Dark God Fu Leng). As the last competitor for each clan was eliminated, Wick ritually destroyed that envelope, and then when the lasst two players asked "Dude, do we have to really go all or nothing in the final?", making up a story on the spot about how BOTH clans leaders led to the final blow.

That worked great. Once.

Then the story got weird as the story team had to write stories two years aheaad that featured the results of tournaments that made NO loving SENSE. Now do that for 20 or so years and four or so generations of samurai. There's only so many times you can introduce the latest "Oh NOES Rokugan is threatened" victim without things getting pretty loving weird. So when Fantasy Flight Games bought L5R and turned it into a LCG, they decided to take it back to the time before the Clan Wars. They changed things around so it wouldn't feel like a rerun, but mostly this is cosmetic (one Clan leader is a woman instead of a man, but still is hooking up with Bayushi Kachiko (some things never change).

More later, including what a LCG is compared to the CCG, why everyone is pissed that the new RPG uses custom dice (of course they do, Fantasy Flight Games gets hard dicks about using wacky custom dice that you have to buy from them, and more about that slut Bayushi Kachiko. And why fourth edition is the best edition of L5R RPG ever, hands down

Actually, no more Kachiko sluttiness. Consider it said already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Well, first off, the joke in the OP is that Fantasy Flight Games is releasing a ton of stuff L5R wise over the coming months:

The Living Card Game:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/legend-of-the-five-rings-the-card-game/

The best way to describe Fantasy Flight Games's card games is a Non-Collectible Card Game> What does that mean? Instead of having to buy boxes and boxes of cards (or bang out ludicrous prices to get that ultra-super powerful rare that is the current hotness in competitive play, at most, you will need three core sets to have enough cards to make any deck you want. They DO gouge you a bit (those rare cards are 1 to a core set, so you need 3 to have a full set of every card, but after that, they generally stick to selling limited add on packs, where you will have a playset in the container. Most folks use a subscription service like Team Covenant to skip the middleman of buying them at game stores.

The basis of the game is that you can use any card with your clan symbol (or no clan symbol, meaning they can be played by any clan) in your deck freely when creating a deck, but you also have a limited amount of "splash" points that you can use from other clans (in general, usually named characters are loyal to that faction), but it allows decks within a clan to differentiate themselves, like a Crane deck that splashes lion can stand up to a beat down better, compared to a Crane deck that splashes Scorpion will reinforce the courtly nature of the Crane with some backstabbyness and blackmail of the Scorpion.

The Role Playing Game
As I said, AEG had released four editions of the RPG, 3 of which tried to set a base timeline to play in (usually the Scorpion Clan Coup or the Clan Wars), the fourth edition was well received because it was timeline neutral, and allowed you to play any time in Rokugan's turbulent history (there were even alternate history campaign settings like "What if the Empress decided that guns and trains would be the way to move Rokugan forward", or "What if Fu Leng won the Second Day of Thunder" or even "What happens 6000 years into Rokugan's future when it's L5R INNNNN SPPPPAAACCCCEEE. They all used the same basic system, using d10's and some kind of Roll and Keep method where 10's could be re-rolled until they rolled a non-10. (called exploding dice), and I'm pretty sure that EVERY RPG group has a story about somebody who tried something really stupid, got told he needed a TN of 50 or something like that, and thanks to the exploding d10's, made it look easy while the GM tried to figure out how to describe how the player just basically broke the laws of physics, gravity, or what have you.

But Fantasy Flight Games are rebels, you see. They decided that d10's are passe. Besides, they can't SELL you dice if they use d10's since your average gamer has about 50 of them, so they love to make custom dice for each of their games. Star Wars makes one system of dice, their generic system Genesys uses ANOTHER die system, and L5R? You guessed it, they ALSO have their own dice system. And no, you can't use their dice from one game for another one. That would be too easy! This has caused great wailing and gnashing of teeth amongst faithful L5R players.

The open beta for the L5R RPG is out, and is going through months of playtesting, currently believed to be a release around GenCon next year (Fantasy Flight Games LOVES to put out major releases at GenCon, I think they dig the wow factor of "You have to stand in line for three hours to buy it! It's a selling point!")

You can download the beta here.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/4/honor-and-adventure-await/

Board Game:

Called Battle For Rokugan. I'm tired and can't think straight, so more about this poo poo later.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/30/battle-for-rokugan/

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Actually, I am looking forward to the new LCG.. as I said, I thought the story had some flaws, and now the new team has a chance to change things around and avoid some past mistakes. As for the RPG, part of it is indeed some frustration that FFG can't appear to settle on a dice system, as Genesys, Star Wars and now L5R apparently use custom dice systems that are not alike.. if you think I'M salty, you should see the reaction at the FFG and elsewhere... actually don't because the salt is overflowing. The grognards are FURIOUS that they can't use their d10 like they have since the start.

I've had two friends tell me that they flat out won't play the new system because they did something more than make the most minor alterations to the 4th edition system. (It also happened wih 7th Sea for some reason). But 4th edition... they basically got everything they could out of the system. I loved the timeline neutral base book, along with all the settings that came in the imperial histories (including the People's Rebellion), but what was left for them to write?

Part of the salt was going silent for such a long time on everything but the LCG, then it's just overwhelming. "Buy the playmats. Buy the board game, oh did we mention the RPG in Beta?"

I was hoping to be properly groggy/irreverent with describing the clans, the fact that I was doing it on 3 hours sleep probably was a horrible idea. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

edit: Wait, I really must have done it wrong if you think I'm making GBS threads on the LCG model compared to the CCG model. Having to pay $20-25 for a piece of cardboard that I need three of to be halfway competitive and actually have a half chance of winning a round at a Kotei sucked. I look at it as an investment to start, but a hell of a lot cheaper to maintain my addiction.

Anyway, I'll try to rewrite the OP at some point this weekend (going to a launch event in Boston tonight, and my three cores showed up today so I'm actually going to be able to try it out.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 6, 2017

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
One thing I really liked from the old Way of the Scorpion book is how to play a "good" Scorpion.. as I said in the OP, the image in the game is all Scorpion are cackling viziers who all have nine different plots running to disgrace people for the, if you'll forgive the temporal term, "lulz". I wish I could copy the whole section on loyalty, especially if they are loyal to the party.. Then, if you DO have to do the sudden but inevitable treachery, it means something more than "Oh, the Scorpion's doing what Scorpion's always do. *yawn*

Each clan can be villains in their own way, which makes for a better way

Crane's snobbery and disdaining anything outside their gilded halls,
The Crab obsession with Strength that led to the Clan Wars,
The Dragon being hidden and unknowable meaning they're doing something for what they consider good reasons but looks like insanity to you..
The Lion being the "Dark side of bushido", meaning they bully all others and grossly upset the balance of things. "If the rest of the Clans can not hold their lands from us, they don't deserve them!"
The Mantis Always trying to take that "next step" (family name, minor clan, absorbing other minor clans, great family, the war with the Phoenix, etcetera)
The Phoenix Well, the Phoenix love their Oni summoning. (For Science don't you know.)
The Unicorn well, they're kinda like the Crab in that they are more willing to do things that violate the unwritten compact in Rokugan, mostly because they weren't around when the compact came to be.

If you're relying on Scorpion to be your villains, you either need to make them unique, or you're going to just have a paint by numbers experience

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The game is a lot more back and forth then the CCG, you don't have the self-playing Honor deck for example, and the fate mechanic means that you can go breaking provinces quickly or go at them hard, but not both.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
One thing I don't like about the Six Packs in Six weeks, is well, the subscription service I use sends the packs Priority Mail, so it looks like I'll be cranking out an extra $50 in shipping alone :P Hopefully they offer more budget-friendly options.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

PaybackJack posted:

That definitely sucks, are you using the Team Covenant subscriptions or another place? Did you contact them to see if there's a cheaper option or if it would be possible to do a hold and get them sent in 3 week chunks?

As it turns out, Covenant can switch it to a lower speed, but they can't bunch send.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Open Beta Notes sent out today from FFG:

Greetings Legend of the Five Rings Open Beta Testers,

We’re still gathering items for a substantial rules update, so we’re going to make our first big set of revisions a matter for next week. For today, here a summary of what we’re looking at, where you should expect major revisions next week, and some of our thoughts behind this!

After you read over these notes, please fill out our Week 3 survey to give us your feedback on some of the ideas here and weigh in on which minor clan you’d like to see previewed in the next content update!

Under Revision
Duels
There has been a lot of great feedback on Duels! Obviously, people are very passionate about dueling in Rokugan. As such, we’re making some pretty considerable changes, tying the rules for objectives much more directly into the lore surrounding duels in Rokugan.

Iaijutsu
Related to duels, Iaijutsu is another matter people care a lot about, and we want to get it right, so we’re going to flesh it out a bit more. Instead of being represented by single technique, Iaijutsu will be represented a number of techniques representing different draws, while the rules of the single-draw duel will be covered more deeply in duel rules themselves.

Outbursts (terminology and theme)
We’re not overhauling the fundamental mechanic of strife and outbursts just yet, but we’re going to continue massaging the language that surrounds them. Outbursts are intended to promote roleplaying rather than impede the story, but names often inform people’s roleplaying in subtle but influential ways. As such, we’re offering a number of alternatives to “Outburst” as the terminology in the survey (or you can vote for “Outburst,” if you’re in the camp that thinks it’s still the best fit).

Additionally, the sample options available for outbursts might be adjusted, simplified, or expanded in various ways. Are options you’d want to see missing? Are there other issues you’ve run into with the current options in play? If you have feedback on these options, either in presentation or content, please discuss them on the forums or email us your feedback directly!

Wounds (terminology and theme)
In the same vein, one idea that has been raised is that the theme of “wounds” might be better with a different name, reflecting a character growing more vulnerable to a serious injury (a critical strike) in battle. We’ve got a couple of alternatives that could substantially alter the theme of this mechanic, so take a look and tell us which of these you like the best!

Weapon Readiness
We want to maintain the paradigm of “one action per turn” during conflicts, but weapon readiness and the related “action economy” needs some work. We’re going to give this a once-over to make it clearer and possibly revamp it entirely.

Numerous Small Omissions and Corrections
The update we’re currently compiling for release next week has an assortment of corrections, updates, and additions to address gaps in the text. We’ll continue to gather these throughout the Open Beta, so please point them out as you observe them!

Under Close Scrutiny

Stances (especially Earth)
A lot of people are worried about Earth stance, but we want a bit more play-session data before we make any major revisions. Right now, we’re hearing a lot of reports of various stances being too powerful compared to the others. This might be a sign that they’re all actually fairly balanced (ideally, we want every stance to feel “overpowered” when you’re using it, so that you have an incentive to shift rings), or it might just mean people need a bit more time to sift out where they actually fall. Air stance not scaling at all against dice pools that do scale is a bit concerning, so we’re keeping an eye on that.

Things We’re Sticking With for Now

Strife
Strife is core to Legend of the Five Rings as a game of samurai drama. There are a lot of specifics that can change, but this concept—the idea that pushing yourself requires emotional investment (the decision whether to keep dice with strife results to get the associated positive result)—is important. Rokugani samurai are supposed to be stoic and, to a certain degree, even detached. But humans are beings ruled by emotion at least as much as by reason, and that emotion can be a source of strength and a vulnerability at the same time. Strife is there to help Game Masters and players roleplay this important aspect of their characters, giving them a cue of when this state hits a tipping point. Like all RPG rules, strife is a tool.

Is strife serving in this role as a tool as well as it possibly can? We’d like to find that out during the Beta.

Outbursts (conceptually)
To those skeptical of strife and outbursts, one piece of advice: try letting outbursts happen. Instead of looking at them as something to prevent at all costs, see what happens when your character sheds tears into their sleeve publicly, cries out the name of their secret lover when they believe they are about to die, or shouts in jubilation after finally folding a paper crane properly. Remember, you (the player) get to choose where this goes. This is your character’s moment in the spotlight—what do their raw emotions reveal about them that others might not normally get to see? Where does this take the story?

In the same vein, GMs, don’t look to use outbursts as a way to entrap the characters—instead, use them to further the story. An outburst might allow a character to shed their mask long enough to truly connect with someone else even as it might jeopardize a character’s reputation. The results of an outburst should match the stakes of the scene and the tenor of the moment.

Of course, the name “outburst” seems to be evoking especially violent displays of emotion, so perhaps it’s not the most fitting name. The options provided mechanically might also need to be revised, expanded, or simplified in various ways. Take a look in the survey and give us your feedback directly on this matter!

TNs to be Hit
There are some calls for passive increases to TNs to be hit, but this is actually something we don’t want to implement based on the dice math. Simply put, the combat isn’t balanced around the assumption that characters will miss a majority of their attacks. We want defending to be a choice a character makes, with relevant costs and vulnerabilities. Earth stance protects against Opportunities. Water stance protects against strife. Air stance protects against being hit. Guard lets you protect yourself and others, but limits your offensive potential and flexiblity. The numbers might not all stack up evenly right now, and we’re evaluating those aspects, but we want defensive options to be just that: options, that have tradeoffs and create interesting choices.

With that said, there are a few things that do complicate the equation. Some NPCs may benefit from a passive modifier to be hit (usually under certain circumstances or by specific attacks, forcing players to be creative in their offensive strategies). Also, kata and other abilities can provide substantial defensive boosts.

Further, it seems like some people are mostly concerned with the theme that their characters can be “unhittable” rather than the mechanic that their characters never lose resources during combat as they approach a serious injury. As mentioned above, we’re by no means committed to damage turning into “wounds” if another theme is fits better, so please consider your survey answers carefully in this regard!

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Azran posted:

Completely unrelated but "Kakita" means "Little poo poo" in my language so that's going to make teaching the LCG an interesting experience :v:

When you think about the pride of the average Kakita duelist... kinda fits :)

And I'm very jealous of those of you running the beta for the RPG, as I said, my group is 4E or bust grognards (and we don't have a game running right now anyway), I was thinking about doing a PbP or Discord game just to fill the void.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
they can have it, but if they CARRY it, they're expected to use it in self defense. So, they keep it packed away in most cases.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Man, the plot bunnies have been at it. I was seeing folks wanting to play a L5R Beta game, and I was like "Hey, how about the crab version of the Topaz championship. Instead of a big-rear end iaijutsu tourney at the end, they take groups of "finishers", and put them through the CRAB version of the Gempukku, ie "go from here to Shinsei's Last Hope and back, oh, and yeah, bring back the head of a shadowlands creature each. As a group you will fail or succeed."

I spent forty five minutes thinking about things, and the most ridiculous thing was naming it after the "Ride-Along" that new police officers do, but instead of Training Day, it's Gempukku Day...

Now if I could just get a group that fits around my work schedule (1230-9 Eastern, Saturday-Wednesday)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I'm watching the l5R worlds on Twitch.

That feeling when you Way of the Crab a clan champ.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlumpRenownedHamPicoMause

Edit: And someone's coming up with a replacement for Sun and Moon for the LCG (Sun and Moon was the online client that let you play L5R online after untap stopped being as useful)

https://github.com/gryffon/ringteki

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 2, 2017

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Today's stream was on Kolat Informat (day 1A)

edit: https://go.twitch.tv/videos/187046330

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
This might be a little TOO Northeast for you, but there's a FB group I'm involved with called "Northeast L5R" It may help:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/216348515051841/

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Apparently that's how he was pointing at things.

Weird.

But Lion wins. Boo hiss :(

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I was thinking that the Mantis are going to be the hidey hole for the Kolat this time around

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Yeah, I was thinking that BfR was a cash grab when it was announced, but I'm liking it.

Anyone else see the final open beta RPG notes?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, a bit of a rant here, apparently we had something happen in the Paris Kotei Top 4 round.

Apparently one player forgot to remove a character with 0 fate at the end of the turn.

He missed it.

The opponent missed it.

The judges specifically watching for game state missed it.

The stream of L5R grognards, however, did not miss it.

So, they reported the player (who ended up winning the round, supposedly making it to the final) en masse to the judges, who then reversed the decision, handing him a game loss (knocking him out of the tournament, but NOT a disqualification, which would have made him lose whatever prizes he earned).

Personally, I think this is way persnickety, and way too easily abused. Opponent making a game state mistake? Rather then correcting it there and then, this would theoretically encourage you to "let it go", and then report it to the judges afterwards and get the win back.

Cheating is one thing, but an honest mistake, which was apparently missed not only by the player AND EVERYONE ELSE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BOARD STATE at that time, shouldn't end in such a manner.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
From what I understand on the L5R group, it was NOT a concession, but a judge's decision as a game loss

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I would expect the L5R beginner box to be released at/around GenCon, after all FFG love to have their lines circling around the booth nine or ten times :P

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I know you were asking for free things for the current state of the LCG, but if you want to see how various ages happened in Rokugan, I strongly recommend finding the two Imperial Histories books for 4th edition L5R RPG. Now there are some changes from the pre-coup timeline presented in the RPG/CCG to what they're probably doing in the LCG, but it makes things SO much easier to understand "Oh, this is why they act in this way"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Beginner Box is almost definitely at GenCon.

Main RPG book, unknown. Probably not at GenCon

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The Beginner Box is "On the Boat" (not always the best indication of status, as the SW 30th anniversary edition was on the boat for four months, I wonder if it was impounded for a while at customs, or what have you).

The main book is "at the Printers)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Yeah, seeing the Phoenix vassal family being featured gave me hope that it would be more then just the base families

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
RPG Status: The Beginner Box will almost definitely be at GenCon (with the official release date 8/9), but the full game is still at the printers, so I would guess with shipping time the earliest will be late august, more likely sept/october

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
From what I'm seeing, Hawk Tattoo is the big argument now, in "Of course I play it" and "It should be banned FOREVER! Or restricted"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Also, Emerald Empire is shipping (some stores have a street date of the 12th), and they announced a new RPG book and adventure today that deals with the Shadowlands (I think the adventure takes you to Hiruma Castle)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Rise from your grave! (No, I'm not using maho, honest mr magistrate)...

EDGE had their update at GenCon today

News from the Livestream: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/695349094
Badger Clan will be in Fields of Victory.
Writ of the Wilds will be coming out after Fields of Victory, and it will be focusing on the Dragon Clan.
The Minor Clan in Writ of the Wilds will be the Dragonfly Clan.
They will be focusing on getting out more Clanbooks at Edge.
No news on a companion adventure to Writ of the Wilds.
No news on if a RPG Foundry will be coming to L5R, but it would not be Genesys Foundry. It would be a separate platform. Genesys Foundry will continue to be supported, however, and it just needs some legal paperwork.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
New book (Celestial Realms) drops late this weekend.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
And the last fiction of the current cycle is out.

Akodo Toturi is now just Toturi, once again.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/c1/c0/c1c0280e-662b-470a-a219-529e85a27d6c/12_the_last_leaf_falls-compressed.pdf

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Neither really.... It's all uncharted territory as they haven't really mentioned it... They tend to stay out of history in the fiction and the books.. other than a few things (like the battle of the cresting wave being the Genesis of the carpenter wall.

So Its really a case of schrodinger's box. It's not canon.. it's not retconned. It's nebulous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I think this version is aimed at folks who didn't look at L5R as samurai drama and instead Samurai-based action fantasy. Magistrates dealing with cultists and shadowlands type things