Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Roman Empire?
Western Roman Empire
Eastern Roman Empire
Troll Option: Holy Roman Empire
Sultanate of Rűm
View Results

• Locked thread
sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If you don't think it was the Byzantines, you must be as blind as a Bulgar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grevling posted:

lol

The United States of America.

Please this thread is about successful, long lasting Empires.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_fpOUQcAac

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

sullat posted:

If you don't think it was the Byzantines, you must be as blind as a Bulgar.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

The roamin' empire, OP

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The obvious best one is Facebook.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

zen death robot
May 27, 2001
Holy Roman Empire for me OP

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Suleiman the Magnificent best roman emperor, just a simple fact

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zen death robot posted:

Holy Roman Empire for me OP

The elector system was pretty interesting compared to the standard feudal government system.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
the United States.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
idk op, my carrier dropped roman charges like years ago

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I guess it has to be between Nissin or Maruchan, all of which have wide distribution. Although Unilever owns a few brands with different names. I'm not sure how distribution goes internationally and I'm sure that other countries have brands I haven't heard of. It's hard to gauge. Like does it matter if, say, Maruchan is present in more countries than Nissin if Nissin is only in a handful but has greater sales overall? Then you have dark horses like Yakisoba which probably don't have the same level of sales but put out a higher quality product.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Quiet Feet posted:

I guess it has to be between Nissin or Maruchan, all of which have wide distribution. Although Unilever owns a few brands with different names. I'm not sure how distribution goes internationally and I'm sure that other countries have brands I haven't heard of. It's hard to gauge. Like does it matter if, say, Maruchan is present in more countries than Nissin if Nissin is only in a handful but has greater sales overall? Then you have dark horses like Yakisoba which probably don't have the same level of sales but put out a higher quality product.
Unilever is the only one of those that has any claim to being a Roman Empire.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
whichever one had caligula

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

The Holy Roman Empire. Henry the Fowler kept us safe after 911ad

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

WRE: got beat up by pants-wearing germans. lame.
ERE: got beat up by turks using the world's biggest cannon. better.
HRE: got their asses kicked by napoleon in a most embarrassing way. funny, but not cool.
Rum: kinda just rotted away. boring.

verdict: ERE was the best.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

its cool that when the founding fathers copied the roman republic system one of the only things they omitted was the tribune i.e. the dude who makes sure poor people aren't dying constantly lol

the southern slave states were pretty drat faithful recreations of the roman agrarian slave state imo

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

nopantsjack posted:

its cool that when the founding fathers copied the roman republic system one of the only things they omitted was the tribune i.e. the dude who makes sure poor people aren't dying constantly lol

the southern slave states were pretty drat faithful recreations of the roman agrarian slave state imo

the tribune of the plebians was also one of the single most destabilizing offices to the republic and one of the key reasons for its downfall

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
trajan's rome obv

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Turkey is the modern day Rome and anyone who says otherwise is ignornant of history

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

nopantsjack posted:

well yeah, most of the people referred to by the term 'founding fathers' were full time roman republic senatorial class LARPers, above all the southerners (washington, jefferson etc.). right down to the whole 'loving their slaves' angle

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nopantsjack posted:

Bernie is most like like the Gracchi

etalian has issued a correction as of 18:03 on Oct 8, 2017

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

etalian posted:

Bernie is most lost like the Gracchi

trump is caesar

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol no, the 'republic' phase of the american empire ended generations ago. trump is commodus

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Typo posted:

trump is caesar

I'm thinking more like Crassus especially the impressive level greed

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

I'm thinking more like Crassus especially the impressive level greed

crassus was a successful real estate mogul

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Prav posted:

WRE: got beat up by pants-wearing germans. lame.
ERE: got beat up by turks using the world's biggest cannon. better.
HRE: got their asses kicked by napoleon in a most embarrassing way. funny, but not cool.
Rum: kinda just rotted away. boring.
Considering which of these lasted the longest...

I'M WITH HRE

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Trump is Elagabalus if you replace being the empire's number one power bottom with being the empire's number one gossip queen.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MizPiz posted:

Trump is Elagabalus if you replace being the empire's number one power bottom with being the empire's number one gossip queen.

maybe a post fever Caligula?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
"This horse - look at her, wouldn't you say she's a beauty - this horse is a good horse and let me tell you: it would make for a great senator, the best."

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
they're a dime a dozen

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

etalian posted:

maybe a post fever Caligula?

Caligula actually wielded power and purposely abused it.

Elagabalus just faffed about the palace all day and only did the work he was forced to do or required little to no effort on his part; the actual state power was split between his immediate family members, his friends/lovers, and the military, all of whom were at odds with each other.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

trump is nero imo

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Does the Romulan Star Empire count as a Roman Empire?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
[quote="“Over Easy”" post="“477182290”"]
Does the Romulan Star Empire count as a Roman Empire?
[/quote]

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
It was the Latin Empire. Formed because a bunch of merchants were ticked off and highjacked a crusade to get back at Rome. Then some Belgian assholes move in and start LARPing emperor, until they they plow headfirst into the fall like a real Roman Empire on fast forward with Yakkity Sax playing.

• Locked thread