Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Last Chance posted:

Is Microsoft Cool Again? Thoughts?
Only briefly cool when they had the metal logo in 1980.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

akadajet posted:

We can also talk about making changes to poo poo in prod. That's always fun.

live a little you loving pussy

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

dont be mean to me posted:

lol splendid isolation

just lol

no, rooted in Marxism. if you don't understand the nature of international aid and how it is never unconditional then lol. USAID explicitly speaks of this in discussion papers, of aids leverage role and how it can be used to exert influence over policy. what do you think the states' / imf / world banks historical activity in Latin America was about, the goodness of their hearts?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

OldAlias posted:

no, rooted in Marxism. if you don't understand the nature of international aid and how it is never unconditional then lol. USAID explicitly speaks of this in discussion papers, of aids leverage role and how it can be used to exert influence over policy. what do you think the states' / imf / world banks historical activity in Latin America was about, the goodness of their hearts?

Marxrosoft thread, but it's only haunted by the ghost of capital

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“pram”" post="“477156697”"]
the thing that pisses me off about vs code is its literally always popping up an update notification and always opens with the release notes tab open on EVERY window
[/quote]

the genuine microsoft experience on every platform

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

live a little you loving pussy

hey man, I've been down that road before. never again.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

last thread fit microsoft better

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

OldAlias posted:

we'll give you aid but you can't have a weed or sex education other than abstinence also we get interest tia :patriot:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

OldAlias posted:

hey, if you know you're too american to achieve any good with doing things for people you can't walk to because you'll just ruin things to the favor of some corporate board or megachurch, that's a shame but at least you're being responsible

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 8, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

akadajet posted:

The only discussion they raised with Edge is "why? why keep making browsers?"

I don't use Edge but I'm glad it exists

A WebKit monopoly isn't significantly better than a Trident monopoly. If you have multiple credible browsers then the specification for how things work is a set of written standards. If there is one credible browser then the specification is 10 million lines of C++.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

A WebKit monopoly isn't significantly better than a Trident monopoly. If you have multiple credible browsers then the specification for how things work is a set of written standards. If there is one credible browser then the specification is 10 million lines of C++.

If Edge could keep up with the standards I wouldn't complain.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sapozhnik posted:

are people calling edge and trident the same thing now

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

anthonypants posted:

are people calling edge and trident the same thing now

wouldn't be the first time

at least blink is a fork of WebKit

since Mozilla is about to get real stupid with Firefox (not the 57 webext thing, the surprise Germany in particular! you're getting tracking poo poo thing) where do you even go for a Web that isn't garbage

and before you say the 90s my time-machines-r-us club card lapsed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the web has always been garbage but IE/Edge is the least bad way to use it

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

half the time when I load ie it just crashes on whatever garbage page is the default

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Phobeste posted:

Marxrosoft thread, but it's only haunted by the ghost of capital

there is a spectre haunting yospos,

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

(not the 57 webext thing, the surprise Germany in particular! you're getting tracking poo poo thing)

what?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ladies and gentlemen start your facepalms [mozilla.org]

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

lol

gently caress chrome broke every browser manufacturer's brain

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
mozilla just keeps throwing poo poo at the wall.

good new things: send link to device, take a screenshot.

dumb things: cliqkcqx or whatever the hell that thing in the link was.

what the hell even is this: pocket. it keeps appearing on toolbars and i have no idea what it does. is it like bookmarks?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wouldn't be the first time

at least blink is a fork of WebKit

since Mozilla is about to get real stupid with Firefox (not the 57 webext thing, the surprise Germany in particular! you're getting tracking poo poo thing) where do you even go for a Web that isn't garbage

and before you say the 90s my time-machines-r-us club card lapsed
the internet will be garbage independent of what browser you use so you might as well use chrome

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

mozilla just keeps throwing poo poo at the wall.

good new things: send link to device, take a screenshot.

dumb things: cliqkcqx or whatever the hell that thing in the link was.

what the hell even is this: pocket. it keeps appearing on toolbars and i have no idea what it does. is it like bookmarks?

send link to device and take a screenshot bring mozilla to like feature parity with x year old chrome extensions, cool.

pocket is like instapaper, only owned by mozilla. you save articles for reading later there

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

cinci zoo sniper posted:

send link to device and take a screenshot bring mozilla to like feature parity with x year old chrome extensions, cool.

yes, but they're actually good features and the naming makes them obvious. imagine if they were called like zappl. i"t's easy! you just zappl™ the link to other connected browsers"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

yes, but they're actually good features and the naming makes them obvious. imagine if they were called like zappl. i"t's easy! you just zappl™ the link to other connected browsers"

fair enough, i use pushbullet for that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

reinstalled win 10 for my laptop an hour-ish ago and drat win10 installer now includes cortana with voice introduction. threw me in for a loop as i sat paying attention to the other computer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also, i forgot how much everything freezes to gently caress when you try to cloud sync in 150gb of files while running system updates

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just use safari, all of my bookmarks and reading lists and currently open tabs sync over iCloud.

does windows have something like that?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

I just use safari, all of my bookmarks and reading lists and currently open tabs sync over iCloud.

does windows have something like that?

im not sure if edge does tabs, but it syncs bookmarks and reading lists. chrome and firefox have been syncing everything (except reading lists, which firefox did get this year and chrome doesn't have natively, only through extensions) for like a decade now

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

for every question "so this mac thing, can i get it on windows" the answer is, in my experience, yes so long as you are not talking about omnifocus, facetime, or imessage

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
typically the answer is, yes you can do the mac thing on windows if you're willing to download some 3rd party program from a website

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm looking for a specific answer here: does Microsoft has an iCloud equivalent that provides generic sync services to all your apps based on a single account? seems like the answer is no.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

not even close.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

I'm looking for a specific answer here: does Microsoft has an iCloud equivalent that provides generic sync services to all your apps based on a single account? seems like the answer is no.

that's a very different question, and the answer is no indeed. not even just for the microsoft's own core offerings

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

does everything also still freeze to gently caress when a cd or hard drive is spinning up in a drive you didn't ask for, that's always fun

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

does everything also still freeze to gently caress when a cd or hard drive is spinning up in a drive you didn't ask for, that's always fun

hasn't been that bad in a while, even on my poo poo computers of last few years. not that i've had random unintended activations to begin with, though

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

flakeloaf posted:

when I accidentally select my bd-rom drive it spends up to 8 seconds deciding that the drive is empty, during which I cannot select another drive, but it only affects the one application that's doing it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Wheany posted:

lol

gently caress chrome broke every browser manufacturer's brain

which is weird because chome is garbage

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

which is weird because chome is garbage

chrome is extremely not garbage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

yes, but the app has to use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

yes, but the app has to use it

call me when office 365 will finally synchronise settings across machines