Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Pretty much everything is better than Bash.

My two favourite Powershell-isms are automatic unpacking of single-element arrays, which can lead to some really fun bugs if you are expecting to operate on an array but get a completely different type from a function, and having to use .net types with methods that all have to be cast to [void], because many .net class methods return something you don't care about and Powershell's return is actually largely ornamental. And since you need to invoke .net stuff if you want to get anything nontrivial done…

Also, an object oriented language that added classes in version 5 or so. Lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

PowerShell is only good in the sense that you no longer have to write vbscript or DOS batch to automate something on windows

most of the time, anyway

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

r u ready to WALK posted:

PowerShell is only good in the sense that you no longer have to write vbscript or DOS batch to automate something on windows

most of the time, anyway

I ran into a KiXtart script the other day. I had forgotten about that garbage lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

My two favourite Powershell-isms are automatic unpacking of single-element arrays, which can lead to some really fun bugs if you are expecting to operate on an array but get a completely different type from a function, and having to use .net types with methods that all have to be cast to [void], because many .net class methods return something you don't care about and Powershell's return is actually largely ornamental. And since you need to invoke .net stuff if you want to get anything nontrivial done…

Also, an object oriented language that added classes in version 5 or so. Lmao.

for what it's worth the behaviour of return works properly if you use it in class methods. ofc i agree that only adding classes in 5.0 is lame as heck. in fact powershell pre-5.0 is kinda dogshit. it's good that 5.1 is the standard version now since like, win 8.1/server 2016.

i like powershell. the fact that it's .net all the way down clicks with me. having access to the whole .net standard library or w/e is very nifty. also having real error handling with trap and try/catch/finally is good to making things robust. people complain that it's overly verbose which imo is good for writing poo poo that's readable but if you're hacking on the CLI there are still built-in and customisable aliases, type accelerators and all the core cmdlets support positional parameters.

in comparison i find shell scripting to be tedious and frustrating as it's all magic characters and switches and regex (note i do not know regex and refuse to learn it). i have used it to write some fairly complicated stuff but ive always found it to be a nightmare and given the option i usually just switch to python (lol ikr).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

no one but an absolute fool would defend writing any significant software using any of the usual linux shells, whereas powershell is perfectly suitable for reasonably complex and robust automation, and works great for making domain-specific commandline tooling.

powershell just also happens to be really awkward in interactive use a lot of the time, which is 99% of what people use shells for.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Antigravitas posted:

What about batch?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

no one but an absolute fool would defend writing any significant software using any shells

ftfy

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Zlodo posted:

no one but an absolute fool would defend writing any software

ftfy

ftfy

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What about batch?

or BASIC

no I don't mean visual basic

mystes
May 31, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

These two things suck so much. The unpacking means you have to be incredibly careful or stuff won't be the type you think it is, and implicit yielding from everywhere in functions is just insane. Also interacting with .net stuff can get complicated because powershell is so different from other .net languages.

no one but an absolute fool would defend writing any significant software using any of the usual linux shells, whereas powershell is perfectly suitable for reasonably complex and robust automation, and works great for making domain-specific commandline tooling.

powershell just also happens to be really awkward in interactive use a lot of the time, which is 99% of what people use shells for.
My personal experience is that once you're doing something more than like 20 lines it's much faster to rewrite it in c# than to try to get it working reliably in powershell.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What about batch?

It's a gun that had its barrel filled with molten lead. You can't shoot yourself or anyone else with it, but trying to use it fills the area with shrapnel. However, you can use it as a hammer.

Bash is a gun that looks normal, but its slide won't stop after firing and it'll go off if used as a hammer.

I've been trying to come up with even more tortured metaphors but I think I'll leave that to the yanks.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Nah, I'm good SharePoint.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

i have worked like a dog on sharepoint too, you can see my piss all over it

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Oh, perfect, I was hoping this was written in bash

mystes
May 31, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

I don't even really understand what this. Edit: I'm not sure the thing I googled is even the same myhub?

Lol different things come up when I try to search for myhub... There's something from another company and https://apps.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-myhub/id1476326475 this is a Microsoft app for Microsoft employees?

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 30, 2021

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, this is from my work email. No matter how hard I try unsubscribing from all of these stupid lists I keep getting added back so I filter them all into the "stupid crap that doesn't matter" folder.

No way in hell I'm intuning my phone so I can participate in #MicrosoftLife.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
If power shell is so good why is it written by Microsoft.

Checkmate :smug:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
its written by Microsoft for linux so its wraps around to being good

mystes
May 31, 2006

Piping objects around is seriously a pretty big improvement over traditional unix shells, it's just too bad that powershell is annoying in other ways. My dream would be something like powershell but with less horrible syntax and statically typed with row polymorphism.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
a python based shell would be the dream

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Perplx posted:

https://xon.sh/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Perplx posted:

an R based shell would also be a dream, but in a slightly different connotation

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

mystes posted:

Piping objects around is seriously a pretty big improvement over traditional unix shells, it's just too bad that powershell is annoying in other ways. My dream would be something like powershell but with less horrible syntax and statically typed with row polymorphism.

i've never understood why people hate the syntax of powershell. i'll admit that yes, the comparison operators are cooked (-eq, -ne, etc). that aside though it's pretty normal? imo it's way better than the shell scripting insanity of if/fi, case/esac that's like someone was taking the piss

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

then you'd better not look at any of the Algol-derived languages

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i've never understood why people hate the syntax of powershell. i'll admit that yes, the comparison operators are cooked (-eq, -ne, etc). that aside though it's pretty normal? imo it's way better than the shell scripting insanity of if/fi, case/esac that's like someone was taking the piss
There's a reason python & previously PERL were so married to linux distros: bash is a bad scripting language.

it's good for cli though

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 1, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
windows 11 first looks: please kill me

notable fun: context menus are depreciated except when they're not, more clicks for commonly used items, it is no longer possible to use windows home without a microsoft id

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

infernal machines posted:

windows 11 first looks: please kill me

notable fun: context menus are depreciated except when they're not, more clicks for commonly used items, it is no longer possible to use windows home without a microsoft id

Lmao that looks like KDE.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

quote:

In Windows 11, Windows Explorer gets its first major redesign since Windows 8, though calling it "major" says more about the normal rate of improvement for Explorer and less about the amount of stuff here that's actually new.

Indeed, the left-hand navigation toolbar and the main content viewing pane haven't really changed at all, beyond a set of new folder icons that give me "design-focused Linux distro" vibes.

:classiclol:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Now that’s just rude. Don’t insult all the hard work the KDE developers have done!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It does look like they are trying to rip off KDE Plasma. However, KDE Plasma achieves a much more unified look than the Windows Hodgepodge.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

AnimeIsTrash posted:

eventually windows will just be a competitor to kde & gnome and it will run linux underneath with some terrible .net compatibility layer

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 5, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Khorne posted:

eventually windows will just be a competitor to kde & gnome and it will run linux underneath with some terrible .net compatibility layer

lol

Khorne
May 1, 2002
macos is the monkey paw version of this

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 5, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Khorne posted:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
yeah wine is a better implementation of the windows api anyway

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's making some good strides lately thanks to valve and co but let's not get too hasty

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mono is pretty functional so the .net layer is already taken care of

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

TIL that if you hit the F1 key in mspaint on win10 (21H1) it will launch chedge and search for "help with paint in windows 10" on bing (not direct, uses a fwlink: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=2004229). i know they're trying to get rid of mspaint and all but lmao this is beyond lazy and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

TIL that if you hit the F1 key in mspaint on win10 (21H1) it will launch chedge and search for "help with paint in windows 10" on bing (not direct, uses a fwlink: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=2004229). i know they're trying to get rid of mspaint and all but lmao this is beyond lazy and dumb.
but it has dark mode now!

https://twitter.com/panos_panay/status/1428102755151847431