Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

windows phone was so loving good

ya it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

some of the first gui programming I did was writing an mp3 player because winamp and foobar were both awful in their own weird ways
I did it in wpf though which ... was not a good choice

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

whatever happened to that feature ms teased about being to group related programs in a single window

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

drat it looked cool

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yeah gently caress running a on-premise datacenter. it's not the physical hardware thats an issue, it's having redundant, highly available network connectivity through geographically diverse physical locations integrated in a unified mechanism.

also govcloud is a godsend when you have gov work so you don't have to worry about going through the arduous process of destroying disks in a manner that will satisfy the feds.

just get your own as, get transit with 2 different carriers. you need a couple of routers for the edge (take a default route not a full table) and some cheap dumb switches that can do very basic mpls for the core. duplicate in two different dataceters. it's really not so bad imo

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pram posted:

25k a year is like 10 x1e 4xlarge instances. its nothing. the compute/memory density in that 25k a year rack could be like 50x more than the same cost in aws vms

also lol once theyre racked and cabled thats pretty much it dude. most dcs are lights out unless theres remote hands doing something. you make it sound like some datacenter monkey has to be there turning gears and adjusting the steam furnaces 24/7 like metropolis

people will pay the 50x more just so they don't have to go replace the odd dead drive twice a year apparently

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

what 4k content are you going to watch

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

can we rename this back to the microsoft thread it is confusing for my small and bad brain

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lol i also lost it for a while, it's "it is by will alone i set my posts in motion"

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i use the outlook web app it's good

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

all the companies I have to do meetings with here all use teams. joining via edge is ok, works without hassle.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

windows 11 seems very similar to windows 10 idk

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

is the tiling WM the same thing as the powertoys 'fancyzones'
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/fancyzones

I found it the other day, works pretty well

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

i use powershell

powershell seems good but every time I've tried to learn anything about it the only things I can find are posted by people who have to post about it as part of their microsoft certifications

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

akadajet posted:

holy poo poo is it bad. I love .NET stuff but powershell has some of the grossest and most verbose syntax for a shell language. Seriously, it makes Bash syntax look intuitive and pretty

if tab completion worked like in bash I think it would be tolerable but the windows style is weird

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

fair enough, you want a real server os for that stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Pile Of Garbage posted:

intel don't have separate PROset/ANS software for windows server. their latest version is for win10 and server 2019. not sure what they're gonna do for server 2022.

oh i meant linux