Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

reinstalled win 10 for my laptop an hour-ish ago and drat win10 installer now includes cortana with voice introduction. threw me in for a loop as i sat paying attention to the other computer

this pisses me off immensely. more so because the mute button in the ui doesn't actually work.

it's like five mouse clicks, or i can spend 10 minutes while the idiot computer narrates everything to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

anthonypants posted:

yeah he goes into some thing about how msi isn't reliable and if the user fucks up they have to crowdsource a fix

next step, break the msi

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, but what if instead you had to register and verify a microsoft id and then sign into the store first?

...and then pay $10

wouldn't that be better?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how many "system tuneup" utilities do you have installed?

be honest now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

do you defrag your registry?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

dll hell is real

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the mute button did work for me

not sure if you knew, it's the one that looks like a microphone, not the speaker

lmao. i did not know that, because that is the dumbest poo poo ever, even in the context of the shitpile that is the windows 10 ui

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

peter "i cum in my cheerios" bright has a decent retrospective on how they hosed up over and over again despite occasionally having some good ideas

tl;dr: yeah, like everyone else has said, being three years late to market with half-baked features and rebooting the platform twice didn't help. but the bigger issue was their licensing model for oems. they couldn't compete with google

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i can't be arsed to look for it but there was an old forum post or something where he said he jizzed in his cereal once.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

yeah "it's like android except it costs money and nobody uses it" wasn't a super good value proposition to companies making like $3/phone, they might have had a chance if it was free for oems from day 1

it's like they thought the smartphone market was identical to the pc market of the 80s/90s, except someone was already giving away an os, and had been for three years before they showed up.

and of course it's not as if they had backwards compatibility with winmo stuff to hang their hat on, so they were starting from 0 marketshare

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

akadajet posted:

It doesn't help that the "metro" design language really didn't translate well outside of the Zune player.

the cut off words looked kinda stupid, but the wp7/7.5 variant actually worked really well at the time. the hub concept was pretty functional and the clean/simple live tiles were usable without being cluttered.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pram posted:

actually the reason winpho series 10 phone for windows phone failed is because it doesnt have a keyboard so its not a good email machine

jim balsillie, is that you?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

all office apps do this now and it's really annoying

yea yea you can change it but just lol at having to cj your loving menu bar

eh?

office 2013 had that, 2016 & the o365 version have normal looking tab names by default tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

hm, we're still stuck with 13 because government lol

lol, you should be thankful you have 2013

i'm p. sure there's some depts still running 2007/2010

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

have the surfaces even attempted binary compatibility from one version to the next?

what?

the surfaces pro run x86 natively, the discontinued arm surface models (all two of them) ran arm compiled binaries (with a ms signature) and anything from the app store*

e: *well, anything before ms allowed x86 only software on the app store, iirc, around the time they ditched the arm surface line

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 11, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. ms pushed an update live yesterday that causes an "unmountable boot device" error if installed.

nice qa you loving shitlords

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

they fired all qa years ago

yeah, i'm aware. they also tried to suggest it had no effect on their patches, you know, until they had to recall more patches in a year than the 9x era.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

existence of notch causes dip in appeal for microsoft product

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

still a 0% chance it natively supports oath2 and caldav/carddav

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also 10-1 they've completely buried the ui option to turn off focused inbox, conversations, whatever other bullshit workflow optimizations they've decided you're going to use by default

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Trashman posted:

laffo does that just send back an email with whatever outlooks equivalent of 👍🏽 is

at a guess, it's probably to train the trashfire heuristics that power focused inbox, so that it stops hiding email you actually need

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dodoman posted:

The only real negative was it resetting a bunch of settings

this is the most obnoxious loving thing with the major feature updates. there is literally no reason to do this except to push users into using features/services they already explicitly opted out of.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gentoo is ground zero for slashdot mouthbreathers

funroll loops y'all

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

plz compile a list of all the bullshit it resets

tia

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's not a conspiracy, the windows search indexer is just absolute loving garbage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it pulls only limited results but afaik it's still relying on the same index

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

danke

"personalisation - start - occasionally show suggestions in Start"

motherfuckers will not stop turning that back on. i have gpo controlled machines post 1607 that loving turn that back on.

eat a dick you fuckers, i don't want ads in the start menu

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what if I'm the evil twin?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hypothetically, couldn't you just create a new account and migrate your settings?

i guess it's not really any less work

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

one drive for business "new" sync client is great for that. you can't set the folderpath through the ui, it's your base user folder, then <company name> - <library name>, then the remainder of the path.

it's pretty trivial to hit the 256 character path limit after that and welp, that breaks sync.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

I don't think long paths have been an actual issue for a long time now

they are, and while explorer will happily let you create paths longer than the limit, many file operations will fail when interacting with them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol whut? i don't think that's a thing since like w8.1

even then there was a toggle in the start menu settings that would turn it on or off

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

ok where

it definitely happens anytime I wake my computer up

it was in w8.1 not windows 10 because windows 10 doesn't do that

maybe you shouldn't be using a pirated copy op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol do you have the start screen enabled or some poo poo, because i don't know how else you'd enable this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i posted my reply the same minute you did, i didn't see your post numbnuts

i know what you're talking about i've just never seen that happen because i use winkey+l to lock like any sane person

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why would i need to do that manually? it sleeps on its own after a timeout, or if i close the lid

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hold on while i janitor my power state

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

my xps 13 does. shuts off the screen, sleeps, deep hibernates if i don't touch it for an hour or something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why are you manually putting a desktop to sleep at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well whatever, yeah i guess if you have a severe need to manage the power state of your desktop by hand there are situations where you will see the start menu after logging in. of course if you just locked it and walked away it would sleep on it's own in 15 minutes, but every kilowatt counts when you're posting from antarctica or whatever

congratulations on winning today's edge case jackpot

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 14, 2017