Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

last thread fit microsoft better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

mozilla just keeps throwing poo poo at the wall.

good new things: send link to device, take a screenshot.

dumb things: cliqkcqx or whatever the hell that thing in the link was.

what the hell even is this: pocket. it keeps appearing on toolbars and i have no idea what it does. is it like bookmarks?

send link to device and take a screenshot bring mozilla to like feature parity with x year old chrome extensions, cool.

pocket is like instapaper, only owned by mozilla. you save articles for reading later there

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

yes, but they're actually good features and the naming makes them obvious. imagine if they were called like zappl. i"t's easy! you just zappl™ the link to other connected browsers"

fair enough, i use pushbullet for that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

reinstalled win 10 for my laptop an hour-ish ago and drat win10 installer now includes cortana with voice introduction. threw me in for a loop as i sat paying attention to the other computer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also, i forgot how much everything freezes to gently caress when you try to cloud sync in 150gb of files while running system updates

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

I just use safari, all of my bookmarks and reading lists and currently open tabs sync over iCloud.

does windows have something like that?

im not sure if edge does tabs, but it syncs bookmarks and reading lists. chrome and firefox have been syncing everything (except reading lists, which firefox did get this year and chrome doesn't have natively, only through extensions) for like a decade now

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

for every question "so this mac thing, can i get it on windows" the answer is, in my experience, yes so long as you are not talking about omnifocus, facetime, or imessage

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

I'm looking for a specific answer here: does Microsoft has an iCloud equivalent that provides generic sync services to all your apps based on a single account? seems like the answer is no.

that's a very different question, and the answer is no indeed. not even just for the microsoft's own core offerings

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

does everything also still freeze to gently caress when a cd or hard drive is spinning up in a drive you didn't ask for, that's always fun

hasn't been that bad in a while, even on my poo poo computers of last few years. not that i've had random unintended activations to begin with, though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

yes, but the app has to use it

call me when office 365 will finally synchronise settings across machines

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i mean i know a coworker wouldn't mind this, but do you really want excel settings in powerpoint

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

does the OS use it? when I enter my WiFi password on a device, are all of my other devices automatically able to use that network when they see it? are my notifications sent to all of them? is there even a windows cloud notification backend? can I locate my devices and wipe them remotely?

all of this without any third party apps

yes to all. notifications may be limited to 1st party apps (not sure) and im also not sure how are notifications resolved if your device ecosystem is larger than a win10 computer and a win10 phone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lmao, i paused onedrive sync at 60 of 80 gb, resumed it and now it says 4 of 55 while the real remaining size is not even 55-4

e: alright, the size does in fact checks out, but still, why was it underestimating by 31gb in the previous cycle

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 8, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also drat the sync is godawfully slow, but i dont think i have anything but my hdd to blame here

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

and also gently caress, gently caress roughly with your computer for hours when that thing inevitably breaks

have you tried being gentle with it to promote cooperation?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

chrome is awful

lomarf

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pram posted:

surfaceos lol
Xbox Go

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

It used to be open source, then closed source, and now sold the the app store.

lol at this guy trying to make money

my thoughts reading that, "hey, wasn't paintnet free"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

yeah he goes into some thing about how msi isn't reliable and if the user fucks up they have to crowdsource a fix

lorfio

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

this pisses me off immensely. more so because the mute button in the ui doesn't actually work.

it's like five mouse clicks, or i can spend 10 minutes while the idiot computer narrates everything to me

the mute button did work for me

not sure if you knew, it's the one that looks like a microphone, not the speaker

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

those dude deffo deserve $5 for that software

not after reading his lovely excuses, sorry

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unix had this poo poo figured out in 1988

microsoft hosed this up real bad

they hosed up library checking yea, but malware in installers is solely on oracle *spits onto pile of shot ask toolbars*

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol who gives a poo poo you huge babies, is it useful software or not?
it is, but it is also not the only software that exists, so yeah, sorry. much like notepad++, which is a perfectly valid text editor, that i put onto my shitlist for a haphazard update that primarily introduced autotyping "je suis charlie" into your documents when you start it up. that was some primo rear end poo poo, mates, i tell y'all

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

p. much this

automatic coordinated updating and reinstalling on new machines with one click are decent bonuses

this is how you know the argument is bad lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Condiv posted:

:lol: that metro is now only used on platforms it doesn't belong on

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thats a really lazy shaggaring

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LastInLine posted:

anyone who doesnt have an instant negative reaction to windows is either broke brained or profits directly from how lovely it is or both

lomarf

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

chestnut santabag posted:

Remember the marketing that was ALWAYS BE WORKING even when at like your child's soccer game or eating with family

working is very american

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

isn't it a little premature to assume iphone x will be good

good or bad, it's beyond doubt a considerably more advanced technological stack than anything else in the category

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

i'm hopeful too but the first iteration of apple hardware usually isn't good. kind of expecting the oled panels to fail or faceid to exhibit strange behavior or something bizarre

that remains to be seen yeah, just saying that technology, however it works, is there, unlike the rest. it'll have to be absolutely bust to be void, which won't happen with apple

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

now that stebe is gone, if it's a tremendous piece of poo poo will people still proclaim their undying love for it?
wouldn't be surprised

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

lol. ms pushed an update live yesterday that causes an "unmountable boot device" error if installed.

nice qa you loving shitlords

they fired all qa years ago

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

the oled panel is already failing in the released promitional images, there is this weird notch of dead pixels on one side of the display

the top?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Microsoft’s virtual assistant Cortana has finally arrived in Skype. Announced at last year’s Microsoft Build 2016 event, the assistant’s integration was also previewed when the company released an overhauled, Snapchat-inspired version of its mobile messaging app this summer. But Cortana for Skype wasn’t ready at that time. Now, the feature is live, offering users in-context assistance during their chats, as well as the option to message Cortana directly to ask questions or get help with a number of other tasks.

It’s unclear why Cortana’s arrival in Skype took as long as it did, but the big Skype makeover could have contributed to the delay.

However, the idea to bring an A.I.-like helper to mobile messaging isn’t unique to Microsoft. Google’s Allo app is aided by Google Assistant, while Facebook Messenger has its own assistant, “M,” for example.

Similarly, Cortana will pop into conversations to offer suggestions based on the context of your chats. This includes “smart replies,” which are quick responses like “Yes!,” “Sure!”, and others, which you can select with a tap to save you from typing.

Cortana can also offer other input, like restaurant options, movie reviews, a good place to meet, a fact it knows the answer to, and more. Plus, the assistant can help with scheduling events and setting up reminders, which are then synced to your other devices where Cortana is enabled, like your Windows 10 PC.

In addition, Cortana is being added to your Skype as a contact you can message directly, if you choose. In this case, you can chat with Cortana to ask it things like fact-based questions, the current weather, your flight status, stock quotes, restaurant ideas, directions, and more – very much like Google Assistant can already do.

While it seems like it’s now becoming table stakes to include an A.I.-powered assistant in mobile messaging apps, the real-world benefits of these integrations for end users are still a bit unproven. Too often, the suggestions interrupt and slow down conversations instead of adding value. And on multiple occasions, I’ve had to explain what those “dumb little icons” are that are getting in the way during a Facebook Messenger-based chat session. (“M” is suggesting stickers – and yes, that’s an exact quote from an annoyed friend.)

Smart replies on their own are a useful enough feature, as they feel more like an upgraded version of a keyboard app’s phrase suggestion, but many of the other A.I.-powered inputs are less than welcome. The problem is that these bots are butting in automatically, instead of being asked to contribute. Ideally, the user interface for these in-app assistants would be one where you press a button to ask for their help, rather than having them automatically add their 2 cents at every turn.

Microsoft says that Cortana began its rollout on Monday to iOS and Android users in the U.S. But this is not a switch that’s being flipped, so to speak – the rollout is gradual, meaning you may not yet see Cortana yet.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

can i imessage a mac if it has no iphone associated?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

Yes, but you have to message the e-mail address associated with the account.

maybe i can get off skype then finally, and teach my parents to use facetime/imessage when i get an iphone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

It's incredibly good for the parental tech support :yeah:

they seem to have decent hang of skype, to be fair, even though my mother does often need a reminder on how to open chat during a call

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

siri more your thing then :mmmhmm:

(yeah, no, gently caress all the things so very non-literally)

skype is just getting consistently worse. after the major redesign, it literally stopped being usable on my phone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

skype used to be a proud baltic sea product at that, before microsoft bought it and promptly did the internal politics dance to it

that's a really subtle use of "sea" there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

drunk, but the baltic sea i think is the term, and skype used to be a swedish/estonian/danish/polish/latvian thing as far as dev went, which encircles an area of water i tried to refer to
yeah thats what im saying, everyone usually just says baltics or just estonia whereas in reality it swedish-danish partially outsourced to estonian programmers