Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If Lowtax switched the forums from vBulletin to Microsoft Sharepoint we wouldn't be having these issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I still laugh thinking about how microsoft shot themselves in both feet repeatedly during the xbone launch window

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkU4WWEUj-Y

My current life goal is to set up a linux netboot environment that mounts an NFS root and autolaunches DOSbox, windows 3.11 and BOB to annoy my coworkers

a PXEBOB if you will

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBq-FFM5VhM

This is the kind of marketing magic that sells ~100 xboxes a week in japan I guess

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Oh that is a quick and easy key combination to punish people who leave their computers unlocked at work

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice....

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

And the iPad can't run the flight manual software that one "tech savvy" employee wrote in visual basic 20 years ago and that has never been updated after he quit

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

infernal machines posted:

nope. not unless you're using dosbox anyway. it ships with 64bit windows so no 16bit app support

I'll have you know nesticle is a perfectly valid win32 application and runs great on 64-bit windows 10 (but not the stupid desperate S version that tries to force people to use "modern" apps)

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I like that position, it means you can push it down and forget about it and not have to worry about privacy, no piece of tape required.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The best thing about windows 8 was the "charms" that only popped out when you dragged the mouse pointer to the lower right corner

Literally nobody could figure out how to turn off their computers after upgrading because the button was part of the charms menu

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The first 5 minutes of eve valkyrie is insanely cool and atmospheric, but then it's a giant disappointment when you realize there's no single player campaign and just a bunch of random skirmishes with little variety and it gets old really fast.

I want a VR remake of the old space opera classics like Freespace 2

Lets hope the windows AR hype keeps VR on life support long enough for the hardware to get better.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Still better than the default theme and start menu in Windows 10

https://i.imgur.com/JGNBuH0.mp4

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The thing I like the best about the Windows 10 start menu is how often the search indexing breaks and typing to find something in it plain doesn't work.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Alpha Mayo posted:

defaut start menu is for losers, 'yeah i like to hunch in to look at 4% of my screen real estate and use the mile long vertical scrollbar to find the app i need' - NOT

i'm rockin this

link for you to download

I am totally enforcing this theme on the shared 2012r2 terminal server at work that someone already installed ClassicShell on

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Someone should go picket Microsoft until they release Windows Classic with all the old themes and UI elements reenabled.

I wish they could stop reinventing the wheel and just iterate on the stuff that worked great and everyone already knew how to use.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

how many registry optimizers do you use to keep your computer feeling fast and fresh? be honest now

Look at this scrub who doesn't even know enough to defrag his reg on the reg

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

OSX/MacOS would unironically be a better experience if you could switch back to the Platinum theme

Just like Windows 10 would be better if you could still switch back to the Classic (95/98/NT4/2000) theme

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I am sure we are just at the start of a new history cycle, in another couple years someone will reinvent 3d-style window decorations and widgets, and in another 10 years we'll be back to candy themes like XP and Aqua.

It can only really improve from this point

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I like how UAC on a server locks you out of directories that you would normally have access to on a server through the Administrators group unless you browse the file system from a remote machine because it is impossible to launch an Explorer window with elevated permissions. Instead, Explorer asks if you want to gently caress up file permissions by making GBS threads a new ACL with your username in it all over the existing files.

But wait!

Just start notepad.exe as administrator, go to file->open and browse the entire file system through the convenient dialog box, you have access to everything then!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The only bad thing about VS Code is that it expects your machine to be connected directly to the internet, I wish it was easier to package it and its plugins for a shared installation on an isolated terminal server.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

paste on right click was a mistake

It's one thing when it happens in cmd.exe but another disaster entirely when your finger slips and you accidentally paste a router configuration script or whatever to the wrong putty ssh window

at least mobaxterm has a confirmation popup if you really want to paste multiple lines of text into a terminal session

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I try to visit linkedin as little as possible, somehow they managed to build a social network that is far more objectionable than even facebook

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it should be a crime for other software to integrate with microsoft office

that is usually the reason for staying on ancient insecure office and windows versions, some retarded dependency caused by expensive proprietary business software

or the company is too cheap to have a software assurance license, i guess

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

just set up a company IRC server that all the cool kids can use

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

SupSuper posted:

bring back comic chat

http://gyng.github.io/comicchat/#!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

One of the few joys I have using windows 10 is uninstalling every UWP app it lets me.
I hope their telemetry phones home about it, I want to make a product manager cry.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Maybe it tested so well in focus groups that they allow you to do it over and over :downs:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

univbee posted:

what do you do on enterprise ltsb for a calculator? do you straight-up need a third party solution?

You made me curious and now I'm gonna make an honest effort to switch from calc to speedcrunch at work

It seems really nice and was the most popular option after wolframalpha without sending all your stuff to the cloud

http://speedcrunch.org

Only registered members can see post attachments!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Looking forward to the first update that bricks your windows completely since you can’t apply whatever bullshit registry hack the KB article gives you to fix it

Someone please check if you can at least still use REG and the registry power shell provider

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

retire notepad.exe and bundle VS Code with the OS instead imo

I'm sure there's plenty of other random garbage they could rip out of Windows to make up for the space

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If you need to open a giant file that notepad can't handle you are most like using the wrong tool for the job

Try http://glogg.bonnefon.org

Unless you absolutely, positively need to edit some entry inside a 20GB log file and save it afterwards.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

when they start selling the cheese grater mac pro again we'll see

I'm running a hackintosh with Parallels and a windows 10 vm for doing stupid work stuff.

Highly recommended!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Bring back the coffee table, at least that thing did something cool and different with the IR webcam that could see the bottom of whatever you placed on top of the screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VfpVYYQzHs

I'm still pissed at myself for not immediately jumping in my car and driving to pick up the old Samsung SUR40 someone sold locally for $100 last month :mad:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It is, however, loving excellent as a table os

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Probably because it would cost 1¢ more per keyboard to program each controller id to match the layout at the factory

But it's cool that someone at least tried to design USB so it would just work when you plug in a foreign keyboard
In theory if this was implemented correctly you could have several keyboards connected, one for english and one for moon runes

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

So it's doubly important to convince enough people to nuke the appx packages for microsoft to always test their patches against that configuration :getin:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The worst thing about Edge is that it gives corporate computer janitors an excuse for not having to figure out how to package Chrome or Firefox for intranet use

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

reminder that microsoft stuck the shutdown button two levels deep behind the new well hidden "charms bar" in windows 8 and most users could no longer figure out how to even turn off their computers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGIrDXstAn4

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

stop defending windows 10, it is literally indefensible

although the guy who made Classic Shell eventually got tired of trying to keep up with microsofts bullshit and dropped development of it, it's only a matter of time before it stops working entirely because of the windows 10 rolling feature upgrades. So if you're not already using it, it's probably better just learning to cope with what you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Project Milo 2, coming exclusively to Hololens on XBOXOX in 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY