Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

akadajet posted:

We can also talk about making changes to poo poo in prod. That's always fun.

live a little you loving pussy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
gotta go with shaggar on this one, the yt app is trash

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

it's jim balsillie and mike lazaridis stacked on top of one another wearing a trenchcoat

can you imagine that body in a bathing suit?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

akadajet posted:

notch looks dumb

don't care for it on the phone either

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Arms_Akimbo posted:

MS is stealing the geriatric job creators title from Walmart. NFL reviews used to be viewed in a hooded screen, now some old dude runs a blue box onto the field that has a surface in it

don't even know why they bother, the decision is made by a review crew in NY, it's all theater

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

one of those questions had better be "why the gently caress does excel insist on displaying any large (cc number for example) as scientific notation and why the gently caress can i not turn that behavior off"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

univbee posted:

please stop putting cc numbers and other sensitive info in Excel files

that's just an example, could be an invoice number, whatever.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

I know that it can be frustrating entering values and having this happen. We are investigating what we can do to make this better.  You can help by Voting for this issue. For now, you can select a range and format as text prior to entering the bar codes / id numbers. -Eric [Microsoft]

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

I know that it can be frustrating entering values and having this happen. We are investigating what we can do to make this better. 

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

We are investigating what we can do to make this better. 

you can stop investigating, don't loving do it. full. stop.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

setting the number format of the cells to text not working? (and if this is what you always want, making a template where you preset all cells as such) :confused:

hang on let me janitor my spreadsheet because microsoft assumes scientific notation is a thing that people want by default

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

I hate the way excel just silently loses precision past a certain number size, but never throws a warning or anything at you. but will bitch about what it thinks are numbered values stored in a text formatted cell.

here's a fun exercise:

paste in a large number that would cause excel to display it in SN

format the cell to be a text field

the cell still displays the SN but if you click the cell the value is displayed correctly

and another:

paste in a large number with more than two numbers to the right of the decimal point (9999999999999.123456)

excel converts it to SN and truncates it to 2 decimal places without warning and there is no getting it back, that precision is gone.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

lessons from microsoft land: .net apps can occasionally cause changes to the machine.config file that will cause every single .net app on the system to fail, silently, with no error messages or diagnostic info of any kind. of course these errors don't occur until the next time the app or service is restarted

if this happens on a server where services don't get restarted frequently, well, good luck troubleshooting

i have never once seen this happen

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

the outlook way of storing things

hell, i had a user that had folders in their outlook deleted folder to keep everything organized in there

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

i'm the janky perspective

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
how the gently caress is microsoft so bad at software updating

still can't do in app update fetching in ssms, literally tells you there's an update and when you click it opens a browser window to the download

then if something halts the update, no option to kill the blocking process and you can only quit the updater. no manually quitting the blocking process and continuing, you have to restart the update process from the beginning.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shaggar posted:

even then its still so much better than everything else in the market

by loving miles

every db management tool is loving garbage compared to ssms

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Fiedler posted:

SQL Ops Studio.

didn't even know about this, looks neat, thanks

Shaggar posted:

no they have different views on how the database should be used. VS team thinks you will only ever do application first design and that the db wont ever exist without the app. This is totally retarded but its how the VS db tools are designed. They work fine the way they're designed but when you use a db that was designed for data first the vs tools totally poo poo the bed.

likewise the sql server team (correctly) believes in a data first approach. they also don't give any shits about making things easier for developers so there are no source control or schema versioning tools built into sql server or ssms.

man, i just want to be able to organize stored procedures into folders, that you can't is just loving stupid

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
pro-tip, have work pay for sql prompt and use something that blows ssms intellisense out of the loving water

intellisense for vs is awesome, it's seriously lacking for ssms

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

:ohdear: ...Are, are they alright?

that's them cutting back, i'm sure they're better than they normally are

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

i wrote a gui interface using visual basic to track the spammers ip address

who's on the second keyboard there, console cowboy?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
xposting this because it's driving me bonkers

Is there anything that updating to the latest version of Windows 10 would make this code now return a different value from what it was returning a couple of weeks ago (or on an entirely different computer running Windows 7, they used to match)

code:
	Using sha512 As New System.Security.Cryptography.SHA512Managed
            Return BitConverter.ToString(sha512.ComputeHash(data))
        End Using
The windows update is the only thing I can think of that I've done recently that would cause this. If I run a project on the Windows 7 machine and then copy that exact project over to the Windows 10 machine and run them the outputs are different.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

orange sky posted:

When accessing any Microsoft website I am immediately filled with an inexplicable rage

I mean go to tech community and try to access a forum about a specific product. Of course you have to click about 5 times to get to it, there isn't a simple list in the main website, it's much more important to get the "latest" posts on a forum about 1000 different products

i like clicking a link to the page that's been moved with no indication of where it might have been moved to

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FMguru posted:

i am deeply envious of those servers

mega same

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/former-microsoft-designer-leaks-likely-future-of-windows-and-xbox-avatars/

goddamn microsoft is so cool again

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was making somebody important at microsoft think displaying anything that looks like a large number in excel as scientific notation without giving the option to turn that dumb loving feature off

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/...570a8520110555f

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Phobeste posted:

one fewer bit, much leaner

i'm working with a client who needs data sent to them in a .csv file with:

1. fixed length fields
2. decimals stripped out
3. all numbers left padded to X length with zeros
4. if the number is positive, the last number (hundredths position), it's one of nine ascii characters to represent that number and denote a positive number (ex. }), if the number is negative, it's a different set of ascii characters

legacy systems suck loving dick

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

It is, however, loving excellent as a table os

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

graph posted:

ces 201* was nothing but garbage tablets and ""journalists"" falling over themselves posting 'is this the ipad killer ???'

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

graph posted:

reminder that the motorola xyboard won best of show with the only instance of the product powered off and under glass

lol

had to literally just go look up what that thing was, had no memory of what it was.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qirex posted:

the tablet motorola did actually release came with a custom sim-sized die cut piece of plastic in the sim tray with a warning that cell functionality didn't work yet and you could permanently brick the tablet if you tried

i got you fam

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

some good stuff from the CESpit those years, yessir

sure was, let me go check the vault

*blows dust off folder labeled "moose_milkie"

ah, there you are

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I haven't used Windows in a long time. What happened ... ?

wandows

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

jit bull transpile posted:

Theyre paying tribute to the coolest and most attractive yosposter

ahem

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/13/17457762/microsoft-windows-10-cortana-hack-exploit

i don't know why you'd have cortana enabled at all, but if you do a) lmao and b) turn it off for the lock screen

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
things i did when i installed w10

1. removed some things from the start menu
2. uh...hmmm....

wtf else do you need to do that you need a loving registry hack

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Lambert posted:

Office and Visual Studio Code boycotting the Microsoft Store is still very lolworthy to me.

that's because VS is actually v good

don't know what the office group's reasoning is

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
ah yeah read that quick, VS owns, vs code is trash

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

just came to post this

also lol

quote:

This is a brief update to let y’all know that we’ve started work on this feature request

this feature request that should have been the default because nobody in their right mind would want scientific notation to be the default display

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
my first real computer toucher job was writing excel macros

explains a lot about my subsequent life in hindsight

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
i wonder if our sharepoint server is still running

no one ever used it so it's not like anybody would tell me if it wasn't working

there's a legit 50/50 chance i haven't decommissioned that box lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

on the topic of the failing microsoft btw they briefly became highest valued us company today, beating out aapl

i read this and i still don't understand how. if you had said samsung or google i'd be like, yeah, i could see that happening. but microsoft?